New Puppy (questions)

Flying Penguin

We were convinced our dog didnt like us for about two weeks, and now he is such a mummys boy.

It will probably take him awhile to settle in, considering he has just been taken away from his whole world.

Distraction worked well for me, we just kept giving him toys to play with and bite on when he started mouthing

We were convinced our dog didnt like us for about two weeks, and now he is such a mummys boy.

It will probably take him awhile to settle in, considering he has just been taken away from his whole world.

Distraction worked well for me, we just kept giving him toys to play with and bite on when he started mouthing

Ahh thanks guys, ill be sure to let you know how it goes!

Now she is crying a fair bit when she isnt getting 100% attention all of the time.

Im not sure what I am going to do when I have to go out for a couple of ours in a few weeks.

Nothing. Make sure she has everything she needs (food, water and bed) then ignore her until she's quiet. Dont keep cuddling or consoling her when she cries or she's going to keep sooking and it will be worst. When you ignore her it no talking, patting, looking at her etc. Completely ignore her until she behaves.

A puppy will usually be whiny the first few days no matter what you do, just don't baby her too much or at all then she will learn independence.

If she is not sick, has water and food and is comfortable, just ignore her 100% when she cries, don't even look because that's consider giving attention too. Only when she is totally quiet for at least several minutes, then you can give her small attention.

In the first few weeks, you can actually keep repeating this process on purpose to condition her. She cries, you leave/ignore. She stops for minutes, you reward with small attention, then leave room again. The more you do this, the sooner she will understand.

Enjoy your new friend! They are so cute.

Also think about booking into a puppy pre-school, or a training club that runs puppy classes within the next few weeks. :cry:

Mel.

Hi Mel,

I tried and they arnt starting for another two weeks and by then puppy will be almost 12 weeks and they said she is too old.

They offer another class for older puppies which they said I should attend and are sending me out some info on. Ill let you guys know what it is to tell me if its worth it or I should find another puppy school. This one happens to be close and is run through my vet.

Can she start the older puppy one at 12 weeks? Or do you have to wait again?

It's important for her to get started as soon as possible and probably helpful for you to be getting advice from a trainer for the things you listed in your first post.

PM me if you like with your State and area and I may be able to help you out. :rofl:

Mel.