Kayaking And Boats In General

Anyone have any tips for training a staffie X to stay onboard a kayak without jumping off. She looks a tad scared but will get on - she was fine most of the time but kept jumping off in shallow waters and once in deep water, if she can't touch she cant get back in without someone getting in to help her.

Just any tips on teaching her whilst moving it is BAD to jump.

Would rewarding her (treats) for staying in be good enough and a firm no when she gets out?

(I have no idea what its crossed with, I can post a picture if someone wants)

I was considering getting a kayak for the cooler months to exercise my dog in the water as it was suggested to help her recover from an injury, so please don't think that I'm being harsh with my next suggestion...its just an option/addition to the above suggestions that I thought may be helpful.

If your staffy jumps off, keep going for a few mins....in most cases she will follow and the exercise won't do any harm, when she tires out a bit, she may be less likely to jump off. The jumping off is probably due to the movement in the surface under her feet...a new sensation that might spook her a bit.

As an aside to the above and very OFF TOPIC (sorry :) ) 5mins swimming is the equivalent to 30 mins running in exercise benefit and the beauty about swimming if you have a gaiting problem from an old injury is that its very difficult for a dog to not use their limbs the way they should in water because they can't keep balance/turn effectively. So where you have had an injury that has resulted in muscle wastage its more likely that the dog will recover correct movement sooner. The other thing I learned from this experience is that a dog will may use its limbs incorrectly out of habit for a long time after an injury has healed because thats the way that they learned to avoid pain. Swimming teaches them that it is no longer painful to use their limbs correctly.

I'm planning on teaching this in summer, since I've just started to kayak, my dog loves to swim, and I hate leaving him at home.

From experience, I've learned it's best to teach new skills like this in little baby steps, since the dog will probably find it quite intimidating. So I was planning to start on land with the kayak still, rewarding him (with a toy) for sitting in the correct place. Then probably getting someone to rock the kayak as he sat. Then going into shallow water, with someone holding the kayak still. Then actually going for a paddle! I'll report back in a few months with how we go. :)

And don't forget, if you're planning on going into deep or fast flowing water, consider getting your dog a lifejacket! They're not that expensive, definately a good investment.

Edited to add - yes, please post a picture! It has nothing to do with the training question, but I love SBT/staffy-X photos. :laugh:

Edited by Amhailte

When I lived near Albury the Hume Weir was great. I had a kayak and my curly used to swim after it. There wasn't room for her on that but when she got on other boats she would jump over if we weren't going fast. She could swim all day so it wasn't a problem but sometimes I would put her on a lead in a boat if I didn't want her overboard. She loved boats.

I also had a kelpie who would not go anywhere near a boat . It didn't matter if it was in the water or not. If you carried him into a boat he had to be on lead and held very tight.

Not fast flowing, the maroochydore river.

It isn't my dog but I am allowed to take it for walks/swims whenever I want pretty much. Will bring her round on Monday and try her on land in the kayak to get her used to it.

When she jumps out she normally has to swim to the nearest sandbar which is usually 2-3 minutes as I hope along sandbars to give her a bit of a run so she doesn't get restless.

We have figured out she likes the smaller, more stable kayak and doesn't like the big, more unstable one.

Will invest in a life jacket for her.

karaty7.jpg

Like I said, she ain't mine. But I take her swimming/walking two or three times a week.

ps; if the pic plays funny buggers and wont show: http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2588/karaty7.jpg

Edited by Midol

Yeah, I love her and she ain't even mine!

I was suprised though, when the owner (female) walks her she is dog aggresive but when I walk her she isn't - might glance at passing dogs but won't bark/pull away. That suprised me - though I thought perhaps she is 'protecting' the owner but doesn't feel she has to protect me.

Yeah, I love her and she ain't even mine!

I was suprised though, when the owner (female) walks her she is dog aggresive but when I walk her she isn't - might glance at passing dogs but won't bark/pull away. That suprised me - though I thought perhaps she is 'protecting' the owner but doesn't feel she has to protect me.

She's a pretty girl! What's her name?

I'm no expert, but in my experience, dogs are more likely to protect themselves against other dogs, than to protect their owner against other dogs. :D

It's mere speculation, but I think this pattern of aggression is more likely explained by one of the following:

a) Her owner is (unknowingly) cueing the dog for aggression by displaying tense or worried body language, for example tightening the leash slightly when she sees other dogs approach, whereas you are more relaxed and the dog senses that; or

b) The dog thinks that you will protect her from other dogs (unlike her owner), thus feels that she has no need to get aggressive towards them when she is walking with you; or

c) The dog knows she can "get away" with misbehaviour when with her owner, but doesn't think she can get away with it when you are walking her, so she only acts out with her owner.

JMO, perhaps other people here will have other ideas. If it's something that concerns you, it's probably a good idea to encourage the owner to take her to a good professional behaviourist to get the issue properly diagnosed and treated.

Let us know how you go with the kayaking! :thumbsup:

I was considering getting a kayak for the cooler months to exercise my dog in the water as it was suggested to help her recover from an injury, so please don't think that I'm being harsh with my next suggestion...its just an option/addition to the above suggestions that I thought may be helpful.

If your staffy jumps off, keep going for a few mins....in most cases she will follow and the exercise won't do any harm, when she tires out a bit, she may be less likely to jump off. The jumping off is probably due to the movement in the surface under her feet...a new sensation that might spook her a bit.

I agree with keep going for a bit too

Also make sure the dog is a confident swimmer to begin with.

My dog will not go on a boat or wharf as she's scared of deep water, when on a boat or kyak she immediately bails out for dry land. She's obviously distressed when having to swim And we don't force the issue with her, she just doesn't like it.

Our old Dally on the other hand loved water, would swim laps beside you in the pool and loved boating (too big for kyak)

Never phased him to come aboard a boat and stay there for the ride.

The only drama I see is once pooch has jumped/fallen off - how you put her back on without you falling out.

Is it a kayak or a canoe? A friend of mine used to put her pooch on the back of her surf ski - she loved it, and only jumped off when they were close enough for her to swim to shore.

We're too precious about our 'yaks - don't want their nails scratching! :rofl:

I hop between sandbars with her, worst case scenario she can swim the 50-100m back to shore but generally I just get off and push her back in (only once she comes back).

She is a confident swimmer, loves the water. She jumps out a swims along side but then wants back in, gets back in and jumps back out 2 minutes later.

Think I just gotta get her used to the motion of the kayaks (rolling, not solid land).

Tis an ocean kayak. An adult variant of those (looks heaps different but thats the general look)

http://www.nj4hcamp.rutgers.edu/images/camp/kayak%202.jpg

They look pretty rock solid - more like a hybrid surf ski. You'd have a hard time falling off that unintentionally :rofl: . A true sea kayak is enclosed with two or more watertight compartments that a dog (not too big) could potentially sit in, and are a bit more tippy than your example.

Bucketloads of fun to be had!

Yeah, I meant the brand is ocean kayak :>

I've never managed to understand how people fall out of these but they do, it is incredibly amusing though.

I'm going to try and get her to come sailing with me on a Laser as well in the next few weeks. Can you get shoes for dogs so they don't slip around though????

:rofl: Actually yeah you can - sled dogs often have them for snow work, not sure how grippy they are, but you'd have to assume they'd be ok. Doggy online stores have them - don't know of any offhand - probably the links on the banner here might be a goer.

Or just get those little baby socks with the grip on them :rofl: