New Prong/pinch Collar Styles?

KitKat

I should have done some more research before buying mine! It's the type you have to undo the links to get off and on and it drives me insane! You must be supposed to have big strong man hands to do it, and it doesn't help when it's attached to a wriggling 30 kg Doberman either! :( Out of curiosity, what are you supposed to do when you're dog still pulls on a prong?? I don't want to use it like a check chain, or are you supposed to give a correction with it?? My older dobe still pulls me along happily in the prong which to me is actually proof they don't actually hurt!! He doesn't pull AS much as he does in a flat collar, but still enough to be annoying!

I have myself purchased two prong collars (from K9 funnily enough :laugh: ) & during my research of them, i assumed I would just be able to buy one & go from there. But with the prong, you really need to be shown the method that K9 was talking about.

I had a lesson last Saturday & I have both of my dogs walking excellent on their prongs. Not to say my training has finished. It's only just begun.

RB - If your dog is still pulling with the prong on - you need to get yourself a lesson on how to use the prong correctly. :laugh:

Oh yeah I also wanted to add that the quick release prong wouldn't be the one I'd get. I have one like the first pictured prong & yeah it's abit fiddly & my girl likes to squirm around herself while I'm firtting the prong or taking it off. But you know what....everything takes practise. K9 saw me struggling with it on my first attempt but it didn't discourage me.

I know I'll get it.

But if he had sold me a quick release one, I'd be worried the collar would come off when I'd need it the most.

Edited by FreyaJade

:( Steve it's looking like you'll have to put out a DVD on the subject of "Training with a Prong/Pinch Collar" :laugh:

ETA - FreyaJade - the reason why i like the first quick release collar is i'm not worried about the snap releasing to easily...because of one of hte dogs i've seen it on - basically if he could have walked/pulled thru it he'd be the dog to do it - as it is he can ignore the prong when he wants - and my pair of GSD's aren't as....willful...as he can be...lol. So if it can stay on that boy then i know it wouldn't be a problem with my pair.

Edited by KitKat

Oh and there are some plastic ones I think american made and they dont look like prongs on the outside as the plastic is kind off solid plate for each link, but they interlock with plastic as well and will unclip if not carefull.

This is my recent choice b_3866.jpg

Oh I like this one.....where did you get it from? Europe?

Yes Sas I bought it in Poland during my recent visit.

The standard prong collar on a short haired dog just stands out heaps, so I searched for alternatives.

This is another type I have m6a.jpg

Most of my freinds like this type more than the first one I posted. They have 4 raws of spikes insead of two. These are not as effective but they are practically invisible on the dogs neck. They are not as good quality as HS or the ones K9 sells. Its a shame we cant get them here easily.

:D Steve it's looking like you'll have to put out a DVD on the subject of "Training with a Prong/Pinch Collar" :)

ETA - FreyaJade - the reason why i like the first quick release collar is i'm not worried about the snap releasing to easily...because of one of hte dogs i've seen it on - basically if he could have walked/pulled thru it he'd be the dog to do it - as it is he can ignore the prong when he wants - and my pair of GSD's aren't as....willful...as he can be...lol. So if it can stay on that boy then i know it wouldn't be a problem with my pair.

Hey that's sweet, each to their own. I have found on other leads I have used with the quick release clip is that it can snap open without warning. Say if there was a cat or a small dog nearby whilst your walking your dog & you don't see it but your dog does. He pulls hard & 'snap' the collar comes loose & the dog goes running.

Perhaps the quick release clip on these prongs are of better quality, I've just come across too many of these clips that have come loose whilst on walks. One of them would come loose from my dog's collar when she would shake her head.

:)

Steve if you do release a DVD for prong collar training, I reckon GirlDog would be the perfect star for the series. :thumbsup:

Hollywood here we come. :)

Edited by FreyaJade

On the subject of prongs, I'm interested in methods of disguise for an extremely short haired dog. While I'm willing to work behind the scenes to help promote the prong as a good tool with professional guidance on its use,(and I'm actually working on this) I don't want every time that I take my dog out for a walk to become a defence of my chosen and professionally guided methods. Our walks are time for me and my dog.

Prob is that the prong does stand out like dogs proverbials on an extremely short haired dog.

I used to put a bandana, but it gave me the sh*ts, so at the end I just had the collar on and didnt care. I must say I was asked about it few times, but becouse my dog is really nice and well behaved (well with people that is) I never had any problems.

Than I got the prong with the short spikes just in case one day someone said something.

My suggestion is - convince those with the permit to import to get some of the short spiked ones, but from what I understand its a LOT of work to get them in.

Plus the quality isnt as good as HS or Bosh or Pixie.

Alternativelly an angle grainer is an option :rofl::rofl::rofl: (only kidding, that isnt a real suggestion)