Desiccant Silica Gel

Crysti_Lei

Unfortunately...both my dogs have gotten into this stuff - both as pups. Bronx managed to eat a reasonable amount and Sabre got a couple of mouthfuls - both different times. Each time i made up a mix of milk and beaten egg with a dose of catlax in it...gave them as much milk and egg mixture as they could drink - that way the silica soaked up the milk which inturn coated the tummy etc...and the catlax sped up the process of getting it thru their system...lol.

Both are still alive and well so...

My dog used to get into the kitty crunchies in silica crystal litter.

She had no ill effects but I did give her a good feed of tinned Pal to make sure it passed through.

(only thing tinned Pal is good for IMO, :thumbsup: )

I like the egg/milk/catlax idea !!

Edited by MaxSpots

• 6 months later...

Thank Dog for DOL :eek:

Very worried as I caught my dog eating this as well (only buy the Silica Gel crystals stuck to his mouth fur :D ) was really worried so I mixed up a slurry of tinned food and water to have lots of water in his gut and then some parrifin oil in his food to coat his intestines.

Since doing a search on DOL and reading on it I can just keep a weather eye. Thanks so much you guys. :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

My puppy ate a whole packet of silica gel at 10pm last night. I caught him just too late, although I did hold him upside down and tried to flick out as much as I could from his mouth. They were the tiny crystals, not the balls of gel.

I rand up the animal emergency centre and talked to a vet who recommended bringing him in, so we made the trip out there and paid $180 for them to induce vomiting. Apparently if they swallow it in one go, it can swell up and cause a blockage.

They gave him something that sounded similar to morphine so it was nice to have a well behaved sleepy dog for a couple of hours.