Mandarins Is It Ok For A Dog To Eat A Little Bit

SueM

My wee dog Harvey was sitting next to me when i was eating a mandarin so i thought i would try him with a little bit as i thought he wouldnt like the smell and they were quite sourpost-7867-1159147614_thumb.jpg and would stop begging me for it, well he liked it :laugh: Is it ok for him to have a wee bit every now and then..

My wee dog Harvey was sitting next to me when i was eating a mandarin so i thought i would try him with a little bit as i thought he wouldnt like the smell and they were quite sourpost-7867-1159147614_thumb.jpg and would stop begging me for it, well he liked it :laugh: Is it ok for him to have a wee bit every now and then..

Hiya,

My parents border collie x kelpie used to pick the mandarines from the tree, then peel them. He would hold them still with his paws and peel them with his teeth, with his little nose squished up and his eyes closed, because he hated the oil from the skin. SOOOO cute. He would eat 5 - 10 a week during the 3 or 4 months mandi season, and got to about 16 (then had dreadful arthritis, that it wasn't fair for him to go on with), so I don't think they harmed him.

He also stole and ate grapes off the vine, passionfruit, carrots and beetroot (would just pull them up and walk off munching away), capsicums etc. Self made BARF dog!

My current dogs are all vegie, fruit tree and herb garden scroungers.

The dogs all eat guava (sp?) Dad has a tree, and as we dont eat it, most of them end up on the ground - you goto visit and his 2 dogs are under the tree eating, Mine do the same if they have run of the yard, under the tree for a feed

I dont get it, i hate Guava!!

oh phew! I was just about to ask if Oranges are ok. James just pinched one out of my handbag and he and Ricky are fighting over it! James will happily hold it in his mouth, but Ricky's mouth is smaller, so everytime he bites into the rind it squirts rind juice into his mouth, so he spits the orange back out again. He is content pushing it around the floor with his nose! LOL

From the research I've done (online, and talking to various vets), I've found that grapes/sultanas, avocadoes and green/unripe tomatoes can be harmful for dogs.

You also need to be careful of large fruit seeds like peach and nectarine, and large quantities of small seeds like apple. Mandarin, orange and other citrus fruits would be fine as long as your dog isn't chewing lots of seeds, as many fruit seeds contain small amounts of toxins like arsenic. Most small seeds like that will pass through a dog undigested, so you shouldn't be too worried.

If you are worried about the seeds, just pick them out before you give any of the fruit to your dog :thumbsup: