Apple Cidar Vinegar

I swear by ACV. I think I'm addicted if I'm truthful! :rofl:

I use it for EVERYTHING, I've even been known to add it to my bath water and it really does help when you're a bit ouchy from the sun. Stings a bit at first but then becomes rather soothing.

I drink it myself and haven't had a UTI in a very long time. You can also purchase ACV with honey added specifically FOR drinking!!

Kitty litter trays don't smell. Stud dog pee doesn't smell. Water buckets don't go slimy. Heck, it's Nature's wonder cure-for-all!

:laugh::vomit:

I use acv in my dogs food 1 capfull daily.

When my girls are in whelp they are given acv without fail and i feel that they whelp much easier, the pups just seem to glide out with minimum effort.

Also great for sore muscles both human and animal just rub it on the affected area, not on broken skin, oh stings.

Have you tried the commercial tear stain preparations? As long as you are religious about wiping eyes at leat twice a day, you should have relatively little tear stain :laugh:
No I haven't .. to be honest her tear stains are not too bad ... I wipe her eyes at least once every morning.

I was going to start a separate topic for a concern I have, but when I saw this topic, I had to read from start to finish. Apple Cider Vinegar has a long history of being a treatment for all sorts of things, but I have never been able to "stomach" it, but will be giving it another go for my dogs and me.

Brown paper was also used as a preventative measure for car sickness. Apparently you put sheets of it against your chest - under clothes against skin. As I have never suffered from car sickness, I have no idea as to its efficacy.

Tear staining: use eye wash called Optrex from chemist. Just soak a cotton wool ball and gently wipe over and around eyes. Also squeeze a little bit into eyes.

I'm off to find the ACV with honey!!!

A bit of trivia about Jack and Jill and vinegar and brown paper

Just did a google

some snippets below

-------------------------------------------

Vinegar and brown paper produces a substance known as DMSO. Dr. David Williams, in “Miracle Healer — DMSO”, says, “DMSO was shown to provide quick pain relief, stop headaches, and even speed healing of strains, sprains and burns.”

------------------------------------------------------------

Dimethyl Sulfoxide

In the medical field DMSO is predominantly used as a topical analgesic, a vehicle for topical application of pharmaceuticals, as an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. It has been examined for the treatment of an extraordinary number of conditions and ailments. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved DMSO usage only for the palliative treatment of interstitial cystitis. Also, DMSO is commonly used in the veterinary field as a liniment for horses.

--------------------------------------------------------

Because DMSO increases the rate of absorption of some compounds through organic tissues (including skin,) it could be used as a drug delivery system.

----------------------------------------------------------

DMSO can also irritate the skin; smooth skin is generally more susceptible to DMSO irritation than rough skin

----------------------------------------------------------

Most tear staining is caused by bacteria that discolours when it makes contact with air. I'd imagine the eye wash would remove the bacteria.

You may also investigate Tetracycline Powder from Aquarium shops. Many US people add a small amount of this powder to drinking water for the same reason. It is simply an antibiotic for fish but is a lot cheaper than the same product for companion animals and doesn't require a script from a vet to obtain. I have an email tucked away about this somewhere, I'll try and find it.

Ellz is correct.

With Optrex, I think it works because of the elimination of bacteria and also the cleansing of the eyes so there isn't as much irritation. I discovered it purely by accident when, many years ago I had two Maltese who had really really bad tear staining and I did try several of the commercial products - none of which worked. When one of them had a mild eye infection, my vet recommended Optrex. His infection cleared immediately and because his eyes looked so bright, I started using it on the other dog as well. After a while I noticed their staining had almost disappeared. And this from dogs who made one little girl comment, "They've got blood all over their faces." !! After that, I just used it every few days or even less and their staining was never a problem again.

I am never with out it now and still use it on my present dogs every week or so, but more often if there is any sign of a build up of gunk.

• 2 months later...
Brown paper was also used as a preventative measure for car sickness. Apparently you put sheets of it against your chest - under clothes against skin. As I have never suffered from car sickness, I have no idea as to its efficacy.

Okay, I was, and still am, very prone to car sickness. The only way I avoid it nowadays is by driving myself. But as a child, my dad would swear by the brown paper bag method. I'm not exactly sure, but from memory the thing was B****y annoying, I think it works by distracting you from the trip by annoying the C**p out of you...well, that's my thoughts.

does anyone know if freezing ACV removes any of the 'mother' qualities????

Ive been making veggie patties which i freeze in a muffin tray and add a heap of ACV into the mix i assumed it would still be good for the digestion etc by the time it got to the stomach....

my boy wont go anywhere nr any water of food with it on 'raw' my girl however gets a splash every morning on her kibble and never worries :thumbsup: