Obedience/agility Lab X Spaniel Needs Home Urgently

caro

SEE X POSTING IN URGENT RESCUE -- PIC COMING LATISH TUESDAY

MILO -- LAB X COCKER SPANIEL

This dog was posted two months ago but home fell through and he is now in the RSPCA's last chance club. He's only young, a lab x cocker spaniel, highly intelligent, high-drive, no vices apart from digging etc but needs guidance and an experienced handler who will put the time into him. He is at the Hunter RSPCA in Maitland. The animal behaviorist thinks he has the potential to be a competition dog in the right hands. Not in urgent need but also with agility/obed potential to make two hour trip from Sydney worthwhile, a young male BC x belgian shepherd, available in adoptions from Friday.

Caro

BCRA Central Coast

(Yes, I know he's not a BC but they contact me about anything with high drive and obedience agility potential.)

Here is what the animal behaviorist has to say. There is a contact for her at the end if interested. I have a pic but attempts to attach it have failed, so PM me, or if there is anyone who can add it for me, email me and I'll email you.:

Milo:

> 1 year old, Labrador x Cocker Spaniel (Spanador), Golden

> Milo is an exuberant, boisterous dog who is very enthusiastic about

> everything. He is social to the extreme and loves to play. He is a smart boy

> who will learn quickly given the right training. Milo needs an experienced

> owner with the time and energy to keep up with him. He can be destructive if

> bored.

>

> Milo gets along great with other dogs but any canine companions will have to

> be capable of putting up with his incessant play! He is not a good choice as

> a companion for young children as he will tend to knock them around with

> love... He requires a lot of attention and time from his new owner as well

> as ongoing training and lots of exercise.

>

> Thanks

>

> Cherie Bekker

> Animal Behaviour and Training Officer

> Hunter RSPCA

> (02) 4939 1555

Edited by caro

Hi

I think he does fetch or at least show keen interest in ball, as behaviourist thought he'd be good at flyball. Medium height. He is just very intelligent and wants to work with you, play with you, be challenged, learn -- basically he's just too intelligent for your average pet home but could be a champion for someone who knows a bit about dog training -- as in giving him positive training, boundaries, structure etc. There is now a photo on the listing in the urgent rescue section of this forum. If you are interested, ring the animal behaviourist, who can tell you everything you want to know. I have had other dogs assessed similarly by this behaviourist and they have been fantastic -- I sold the last one on to my obedience instructor in a week!!! A few clicker training sessions and sensible, consistent handlling and it was a different dog. Sadly, I cannot take him on myself or would be divorced.

Cheers,

Caro

Hi Caro,

I noticed the ad said high drive. Juat wondering what type of drive. Has he got a good retrieve/hunt/play drive?

Roughly how big would he be?

I was actually enquiring for that reason. I was wondering about his drive as I am interested in him as a potential detector dog. We need dogs like you said that will do anything for their toy or food and are keen enough to do it quite frequently. They also need to have a keen nose and being lab/cocker cross I think a hunt drive would be present. He also is inclined to dig so a dig response would not be too hard to achieve!

The problem I have is that I am not able to drive for another few weeks as I have plaster on my foot so I can't go there to look at him or to collect him so would need to find transport for him to Sydney.

I am tempted to take a chance on him as he has the 'look' of a potential recruit however the transport is still a problem.

Do you know how much time he has left. I noticed another dog on the RSPCA website called Kooch and was also considering him.

How much does Milo cost? I can't remember

Hi

Did reply to this but must have hit wrong button. Local rescue groups often help get a dog down to Sydney provided it doesn't have kennel cough. RSPCA cost is usually $250, which includes all vet work. Again speak to Cherie about the sniffer bit -- she'd be able to tell you whether would suit. Not sure about RSPCA regs but maybe if you are accreddited sniffer dog trainer she might even be able to let you have him on trial, or possibly transfer him to the Yagoona RSPCA so you can at least assess him there and maybe give him a few test training sessions? Obviously with time short you are better phoning, but her email is [email protected]

Regards,

Caro

I was actually enquiring for that reason. I was wondering about his drive as I am interested in him as a potential detector dog. We need dogs like you said that will do anything for their toy or food and are keen enough to do it quite frequently. They also need to have a keen nose and being lab/cocker cross I think a hunt drive would be present. He also is inclined to dig so a dig response would not be too hard to achieve!

The problem I have is that I am not able to drive for another few weeks as I have plaster on my foot so I can't go there to look at him or to collect him so would need to find transport for him to Sydney.

I am tempted to take a chance on him as he has the 'look' of a potential recruit however the transport is still a problem.

Do you know how much time he has left. I noticed another dog on the RSPCA website called Kooch and was also considering him.

How much does Milo cost? I can't remember

Hi

Milo still in danger -- Cherie has not reported any enquiries.

Regarding the sniffer possibility, this is what Cherie (a RSPCA behaviourist) says:

"We'd be happy for Milo to go to this sort of situation. He would suit the work as he is just so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING. I'm sure we could organise transport to Yagoona." (That's the RSPCA rescue centre in Sydney, where they can view him).

Again, if the sniffer person is genuinely interested please follow up. He is a lovely dog.

Caro

A picture of Milo attached.

PS forgot to say that she says he is toy and ball orientated (although needs training to bring ball back consistentlly) and SMELL ORIENTATED, which I assume is important for a sniffer dog.

Hi

Milo still in danger -- Cherie has not reported any enquiries.

Regarding the sniffer possibility, this is what Cherie (a RSPCA behaviourist) says:

"We'd be happy for Milo to go to this sort of situation. He would suit the work as he is just so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING. I'm sure we could organise transport to Yagoona." (That's the RSPCA rescue centre in Sydney, where they can view him).

Again, if the sniffer person is genuinely interested please follow up. He is a lovely dog.

Caro

A picture of Milo attached.

Ok. Thanks heaps for that information. I have notified my supervisor of Milo yesterday and haven't had a reply. I will contact him first thing tomorrow and remind him so we can hopefully sort something for Milo.

Smell oriented is a great start!! It doesn't matter about bringing the ball back so far he just needs to want to find it if we hide it!!!!

Thanks heaps for all your help and I will let you know how I go.

Edited by dasha

Just an update.

My supervisor did contact Cherie today in regards to Milo.

Unfortunately it seems he doesn't cope well with a kennel scenario and so he won't be able to come and work for us.

Very sad, I was really hoping we would get him as I had a feeling he would be super. He looks great and his description sounded great.

I am very tempted to take him and train him for agility but I am not really after another dog yet. I have been asking around for him.

I really hope something comes up soon for him

Hi

That's very sad. Isn't there anyone else out there looking for an agility/obed/tracking prospect???

Caro

Just an update.

My supervisor did contact Cherie today in regards to Milo.

Unfortunately it seems he doesn't cope well with a kennel scenario and so he won't be able to come and work for us.

Very sad, I was really hoping we would get him as I had a feeling he would be super. He looks great and his description sounded great.

I am very tempted to take him and train him for agility but I am not really after another dog yet. I have been asking around for him.

I really hope something comes up soon for him

I called RSPCA re Milo and he is still available. I spoke to a lady that answered the phone as Cherie wasn't in.

Apparently once he is in adoptions he is there until he finds a home (unless he goes too crazy in the kennels then will be Euthanased for his own health)

I am a little stunned as I enquired about the idea of him going to be a detector dog as I wanted to get a bit more of an idea of his temperament and they said he wouldn't be sold for this purpose as he would be in kennels overnight and not with people. They sell dogs to be pets only. I mentioned that there is probably a lot of pet dogs that get locked in a kennel overnight so I fail to see this as a reason to deny the dog a great life.

Our detector dogs love life and are only in kennels overnight. On their days off they run around in large yards with other dogs and when working they are out playing hide and seek with a toy! go to the beach, walk in the park, do some work, play again.And from what i heard Milo loves that.

I personally think that it is crazy to hold kenneling overnight as an unsuitable adaoption. :thumbsup:

We have sourced other dogs from RSPCA shelters in other areas and other animal shelters with great results when staff are open minded in what is better for the dog.

Just my opinion.

At least Milo is still alive until he goes crazy because they are too narrowminded.

Hi Dasha,

Official policy and reality can differ and if you read the RSPCA fine print even it says something about "exceptional circumstances". Do not speak to the people on the front desk if interested in Milo-- only Cherie, who is obviously limited in what she can say but can tell you about the dog. As per earlier comment by me, extreme tact is required or I won't be able to list such dogs in the future. Milo is last chance status and, for a dog not coping in kennels, has already been there two months plus. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE WAVES BY ENQUIRING AT THE FRONT DESK IF HE HAS BEEN PUT DOWN YET!!

Caroline