Feeding My Pups

BONBON

Hi there

Im just wondering if someone can help me, i have 2 golden retriever pups - they are 16 weeks. I feed them 3 times a day, but my vet said that

I can start putting them down to 2 meals a day, just give them more at the 2 meals, so that they are eating the same food but just twice a day. But

I tried giving them more breakfast and they just dont finish it, so im a bit unsure what or how to go about reducing them to twice. Is it too soon to start doing

this? I dont want to overfeed them but at the same time dont want them to go hungry.

Hi - congrats on your new golden puppies!! I'm getting one in the next couple of months too, so am reading your post with interest! Where did you get them from? I'm going to be working full time, so wonder how I can feed my puppy (when I get him) three meals a day. Does anyone have any advice please? Are those timer pet feeders worth investing in for my pup's lunch time snack ? (spoilt or what!!)

Bonbon, I think they are telling you they aren't ready for 2 meals a day. At 4 months, I would have them on 3 meals, as Curlyking suggests. Their tummies obviously can't hold enough to get them through.

emaas

how I can feed my puppy (when I get him) three meals a day. Does anyone have any advice please?

Depending on what you are feeding - give him breakfast - and leave him enough premium dry food for lunch. Then give him dinner when you arrive home.

I don't feed much dry food, but when I have a litter of pups, and I have to go to work, I leave dry food in their bowl. They get hungry around lunch time, and eat it.

If you leave meat, milk etc. the flies will get into it. Even if you don't mean to feed dry food forever, it's great for lunch if you aren't there.

I have a 4 month old and he was always given 2 meals a day because we go to work.

We always leave him with a treat ball though full of food (and a distraction / entertainment) which gets him through until we get home.

He has never had a problem with food....isn't greedy or starving.

Bonbon, we are getting a golden retriever pup soon! hopefully xmas week or maybe early next year. do you have any pics of yours? what are their names? i just love goldens, they're SO gorgeous! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mel_c