How To Stop Your Dog Digging Holes - Is This For Real?

olly

Check out this suggestion from NZ's Christchurch City Council on "Training Your Dog" - point 3 under digging holes.......Digging Holes

If he does manage to dig a hole unobserved, fill the hole with water and take him to it pushing his head in until he gasps then release him, this creates a bad association with digging.

And a bad association with you?????? I would never do something like that to any dog :D

omg, i cant believe that came from a city council's website !!!!!!

i remember when i got my puppy, someone told me if she poos or urinates inside then rub her nose in it !!! AS IF!

these ideas are so cruel and wrong.

omg, i cant believe that came from a city council's website !!!!!!

i remember when i got my puppy, someone told me if she poos or urinates inside then rub her nose in it !!! AS IF!

these ideas are so cruel and wrong.

I agree :D . Hopefully someone with a bit of intelligence will do something about fixing this.

Edited by gsdog2

URK!

Not best practice.

That said...a couple of "old bushies" I knew had a sure-fire way to stop digging ;)

Pups had a few nails cut very short..to the quick. When they dug..it hurt! They did stop digging ....guess sore toes for a few days was better than more severe punishment for digging huge holes in unwanted places... different times, different ways...

I think the dog would get the point don't you?! Whenever it's bath time, or he's at the beach, or a dam, there's no way in hell he'll be digging anywhere near them...............because logically he'll connect his owner trying to drown him in a hole of water, with him digging! :laugh::rofl:

bloody Koehler, that method was around in the 60's and is not very successful, great way to fast track a relationship breakdown. Which will in turn will probably create another stress related problem, *sigh*

It is a pity that with all the info avaliable they chose that method, *shudder*

cheers

M-J

Scarier still... I wonder how many morons read that and go, "Ullright, Lits go ind guv thus a go"

That is terrible

And how many idiots get the timing wrong!

That is probably the most idiotic advice I have ever heard! Recipe for disaster for sure.