Litter Tray For Medium Sized Dogs

emaas

Hi - I have my crate ready for when we get a GR puppy in the next few months. I also wondered, is it possible to get your dog to go to the toilet in a big plastic tray? I have trained my pet bunnies to use a tray very easily, and just wondered if you could put a tray inside and outside and prevent the dog from leaving pressies all over the garden??!!

Thanks

Liz.

I cannot understand why you would want a golden retriever to use a litter tray. Dogs aren't rabbits and they're not vegetarians, dog poo doesn't really smell that nice and a golden retriever does quite a large poo which isn't going to make your house smell too good. Do you intend it to urinate inside too? I really can't imagine it. Litter trays might work for cats and toy dogs, but I certainly wouldn't want a goldie pooing inside my house.

yuck, im with you Miranda - but i couldnt stand any dog going toilet in the house!! I hate that the cats do it, and as soon as i get a new house with a cat run, the litter will be moved outside!

Yes exactly, personally I view all litter trays as a last resort. If your dog has access to the outside let it poo and wee outside, makes sense to me anyway :)

I agree with the others .What people also forget is when dogs are often trained in that method it can create all sorts of issues latter on.The dog will hang on till the tray is there.

I dare say with it being GR it will eat the tray before it poops in it & the time you spend ontraining it to go in that fawould be better spent on other things.Also dogs generally dont stand in the one spot & popp so be prepared to have a giant tray for when it goes maybe a metre by a metre plus many large dogs scratch after they toilet & it may fling the litter all about

Thanks everyone for your advice. I was hoping the pup would poop in the tray IN the garden, but maybe I'm being a bit ambitious. I've done some reading since and it appears training the pup to go in the same place on the lawn itself is the best option long term. thanks :rainbowbridge:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I was hoping the pup would poop in the tray IN the garden

LOL and I was imagining this big clumsy GR going into the laundry to do wees and poos in this huge litter tray and then kicking the litter all over the room :rainbowbridge: I thought it was a little odd to say the least :cry:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I was hoping the pup would poop in the tray IN the garden

:cool: Then get ready to take the litter tray wherever you go!!!

When your on a walk, visiting, going out~ your dog will not want to go 'toilet' on the grass :)