Greyhound People Please

Ceilidh

I had a man ring me this morning to say he has a racing greyhound and he wants it clipped, how much do I charge. What the?!? After I could speak I said I'm sorry but I thought all greyhounds have a short coat, is he sure it isn't crossed with a saluki? He said that no it is a pure bred racing greyhound and all greyhounds have long hair till they are about 2 years old. The hair is 6 to 7 cm long.

Am I being taken for a fool or is this actually true? Is this man maybe cheating and crossing his dogs with something else? What is the truth? Please.

Someone has been pulling his leg - I wonder if it's the only grey he's ever owned and he's just repeating the nonsense he was told by the "breeder". If you do end up grooming this grey, check it's ears for tatts as I'm guessing it won't have any. Why would you need to clip a 6-7cm coat anyway? I know, it's a new designer breed: the greyhoodle - specially designed to be even more low shedding than the original :) .

This dog is actually racing. This man said he was talking to another trainer who clips his own dogs so thought he would get his done. :) Go figure.

Thanks people, I thought maybe I didn't know as much as I thought I did :D :):) ;)

The boy i have has the longest coat i have ever seen on a greyhound. Everyone comments on his longer hair. Its not that long though and certainly no where near 6 cms.

I have taken a pic of his coat and brushed some of the hair the opposite direction so you can see the length.

post-1996-1161145053_thumb.jpg

I have seen a few greys clipped for racing, especially in the warmer months. I know they don't have much coat, and I don't think I would bother myself (don't care for the look of it), but some people like to get it done. I think they believe it is cooler for the dogs and also they dry quicker after being hosed (after the race).

It used to be the norm up here in sunny QLD (north qld) that southern dogs (greys) that were brought in would be clipped.

I have never done it myself, and I have never seen a Grey with a coat that I as a groomer would justify clipping, but I know plenty of groomers who have.

Some Greys just hang on to their coats and some have very thick rough looking coats so it is quite common for racing greys to get clipped. I personaly would never do it as I think it just makes the coat thicker. It's really a bit like horses, all short haired but some have thick coats and some have very fine coats.

we clip short haired breeds all the time.

today I did a Lab and we also did a short haired JR. JR was done on a #10 blade and he VERY short!

we get plently of short haired dogs coming in to be clipped. we cant understand it, but the owners request it! they dont like the shedding hair, so they want the dog as short as possible.

I don't believe that a greyhound's coat can get to 6 - 7 cms long, but there some people that don't keep their greyhound rugged in winter, and it will grow an extra thick fluffy coat. Then they don't brush it at the end of winter, and it stays thick in patches and looks terrible.

Then they shave it, except for the head, tail and legs, and it looks ridiculous. :rainbowbridge:

i cant imagine how you would get the coat clipped nice and smoothly on a racing grey. My vet told me that my two look to be in race condition, as in, you can see several ribs and their backbone (how they're sposed to look - i'm not starving them....). How do you get a smooth cut over those bones???

Hmm... I wanna see pics.

But you've given me an idea. I wonder how much money I could get for rescue if I put my greyhound up for advertising. Highest bidder gets whatever they want shaved into his coat :thumbsup: No swear words or offensive stuff... advertising okay :thumbsup:

At the Bendigo Greyhound meeting you will never guess what, a shaved greyhound. The trainer said they could not get the dogs coat looking good so they decided to shave it. It looked funny, black head grey body.