He's Humping!

Whateverr

ok so..

the other day i was laying on my stomach on the grass and spike was playing with my feet.. biting them and growling at them etc... usually he jumps over my legs and tries to hug my legs to pin them to the ground but tonight... :rainbowbridge: i started feeling something strange and i turn around and there is spike "going at it" on my leg!! i moved it away and he still did it!!

he's only 11 weeks and i know its not a sexual thing at this age but is there anything i can do to get him to not hump things? will it stop when i get him desexed?

just curious..

Abbey

Grab him by the scruff of his neck and push him away, in a loud growly voice tell him "NO"

Or as someone else said in a thread alittle while ago

Hump him back lol

well i didnt play with him after he did it.. and as for 'humping him back' LOL and i dont think so :rainbowbridge:

will it stop when i get him desexed?

just curious..

Abbey

I would just stand up and move away or just push him off. My dog Mickey humped like a maniac as a puppy (not necessarily us, toys, feather duster, pillows, etc) and we thought that he would stop or at least not be as bad once he was desexed....somehow it didn't change a thing. Hardly a day passes where he doesn't hump something such as a foot if dad is being stupid and lets him - despite me telling him to not allow it - but most commonly his humping blanket...yes, he has a blanket just for humping and if we take that away he humps the rest of his bedding so we figuire best to let him continue with a blanket for only that purpose instead of having him hump whatever he can get his paws on. Not sure if this is common or if it's just my dog but that's a warning that it might not stop after desexing, lol.

You should not be letting your puppy bite and growl at you AT ALL. You are letting him do dominant picking at you and then it escalates. Your pup should also never be allowed to pin you, sit on you etc. You cannot teach a pup you are the boss if you allow the dog to dominate you, you are sending mixed messages especially at this impressionable age.

If you desex him while he is still in the humping phase, there is a very good chance that he will always do it - it is a natural stage of growth that all puppies go thru, including many females.

Wait until he has grown out of it, THEN desex. (Mind you, some poodles never grow out of it :rainbowbridge: )

Ours still does it from time to time to one of his stuffed toys. We call it his b*tch. Having had his knee operated on a few weeks ago he's a bit wobbly. He actually brought the toy over to me last night to hold so he could have a go. :cool: I was not impressed.

Grab him by the scruff of his neck and push him away, in a loud growly voice tell him "NO"

Hump him back lol

Do you think that's a bit rough for a young puppy? Verbal repremand and standing up would have been enough don't you think?

You should not be letting your puppy bite and growl at you AT ALL. You are letting him do dominant picking at you and then it escalates. Your pup should also never be allowed to pin you, sit on you etc. You cannot teach a pup you are the boss if you allow the dog to dominate you, you are sending mixed messages especially at this impressionable age.

yes.. ok.. i agree with you because how is a puppy supposed to learn if you let him get away with biting etc... BUT i believe that you should be able to play and have fun with your puppy without worrying about whether you are 'training' him to do these bad things.

Spike knows when to stop biting and he knows that if i say no, he will stop what he is doing. He can sit and stay and has basic training etc what harm is it going to do if i play with him and let him sit on me?

my brother and sisters dogs both "played rough" when they were puppies as my brother and sister would chase them around the yard and the dogs would growl and bite their ankles but now, as adult dogs they are the most placid things you have ever seen! they do not bite or growl or anything bad for that matter...

None of our dogs believe that they are the dominant "leader" and they were all played with as puppies, whether that be just sitting quietly on someones lap or running outside, nipping ankles and barking at a piece of sting that you are pulling, so why would it be wrong if i had fun with spike?

my question was about him humping and how to stop him from doing it.. not about dominance! Yes i know these two things are related but it was not what i was asking about...

Edited by Abbey B

I have a slightly different opinion to others.

I believe at this age that simple over excitment can lead to humping, some does hump due to dominance (even submissive dogs will hump a dominant dog to see where it stands, it's not just about dominant dogs humping the leader), some hump due to sexual reasons and some hump things like bed covers etc.

Simply stand up and walk away paying no attention to the dog.

I certainly would not be scruffing such a young dog, actually I wouldn't scruff any dog, I personaly feel if you have to lay your hands on a dog in such a manner to need to re-evaulate your training methods and what you're trying to achieve......respect v leadership.

They're a ball of excitment at this age, they can't just learn things overnight either, things take time.

Edited by sas

He's a dog.........dogs hump!

Even female dogs hump.......adult dogs hump, puppies hump.

When he does it or growls or bites, push him away, say "No" loudly and stop playing........ignore him for a few minutes.

He will work it out eventually!

Ours still does it from time to time to one of his stuffed toys. We call it his b*tch. Having had his knee operated on a few weeks ago he's a bit wobbly. He actually brought the toy over to me last night to hold so he could have a go. :mad I was not impressed.

Sorry about his knee but the mental image in my head :cool: :):rofl:

Hump him back lol

Do you think that's a bit rough for a young puppy? Verbal repremand and standing up would have been enough don't you think?

Maybe

I would alway use the command above, it is what an adult dog would not to stop the behavour, so I do too

You can have fun without having the dog nip you. But I suppose you know best.

Basically you know its associated, you want it stopped but you dont want to change what you do. Blow this dog up to say 60kg like my boy and then tell me its not an issue.

Hump him back lol

Maybe

I would alway use the command above, it is what an adult dog would not to stop the behavour, so I do too

My adult dog eats poop, doesn't mean I would do it to try and connect with him more. I think sometimes we have to realise we're not dogs, yes we strive to be leaders but then you also have to understand the different between leadership and gaining respect from a dog they don't come part and parcel.

My opinion.

Edited by sas

Thats OK sas, your opinion is all good

I just have Shar Pei lol, and they are not real dogs so I sometimes forget there are easier ways to deal with things

each to their own

and I would never eat poop either lol