Refreshing The House

I use a spray called Nilodol available from the supermarket. One spray per room is all that is neccessary.

Gets rif of 'any' smell!

The No Vac stuff was ok, but wasn't lasting in my opinion.

Edited by sas

I where possible have all windows open and allow lots of fresh air through. I know you said incense burners make you feel ugh, and they do me as well. But did you mean Oil burners? I have one of them in every room, and use the gels rather than the oils, with the little tea light candles. I find they work great, and you can get the gels and oils, from the Reject Shop, or two dollar shops etc.

I also have a spray bottle with Eucalyptus oil and water and spray that around the house regularly. Smells nice.

One last thing you could try, is I have a vapouriser, you know for coughs etc? I use that all the time not just when we are sick. You can put eucalyptus or any essential oil you like. It helps breathing easier, and helps allergies, and leaves a great smell in the home :thumbsup:

Does anyone use an Ioniser or Air Purifier?

I'm thinking of getting one - or picking an air conditioner (which we're getting anyway) with an air purifier built in.

It only gets really smelly after 6 months or so after a big steam clean, but I'm just wondering how well they work

Does anyone use an Ioniser or Air Purifier?

I'm thinking of getting one - or picking an air conditioner (which we're getting anyway) with an air purifier built in.

It only gets really smelly after 6 months or so after a big steam clean, but I'm just wondering how well they work

When we first got the birds we got a Honeywell Air Purifier rather than one of the little 'domestic' type you can get at Myer/Harvey Norman, to help with the bird dust. I'm don't think it did a lot for smells, but this is an old quite dusty house with a few animals and at that time we were both smokers. :thumbsup: The filters were quite expensive, which is why I stopped using it. With any of the portable ones you'd probably need one in each room to get any effect. I also found it to be quite noisy.

Now I just do lots of fresh air circulating with fans and open doors/windows, all year round, much to OH's disgust.

Not sure how helpful will this be, you can get a good old oil burner (those with deep dish) and burn some black tea regularly, it's mild enough for the nose and neutralises odor. You may want to try sprinkling dried tea leaves on carpet overnight instead of baking soda, vacuum them next day. TIP: use the strong smelling real black tea leaves, not the fruit ones. Chinese Oolong tea leaves from asian stores works quite well.

bit of the track here, but may be helpful

soda water poured on carpet that has been soiled by those inevitable "little accidents" and mopped up with absorbent paper towell is really good. Seems to stop stains. I have tried the other carpet stain removers, but they seem to make the stain even worse than it was in the first place. Hope this helps....

I wash my carpets regularly with the Britex machine from Woolworths - hot water and I have not found their chemicals to be smelly or irritating if you use max what it says on the containers. Plus you can add a couple of drops of essential oils to the water tank.

Remove pet bedding, dont let it sit in the one place, stick it out in the sun and wash it regularly. Vaccuum it when you do the carpets.

Wash curtains regularly as they absorb smells too. Air out the house on stiller days as really windy days will bring in a lot of dust and dirt.

An oil burner is always nice, if you use good oil it wont irritate the other animals and you can regulate the amount. I have used that foam but it makes my lizards sneeze.

The ioniser I want doesn't use filters and is silent :mad

http://aggeggi.com/?action=view&id=818316

The air conditioning system (LG Art Cool) is silent and I think has no filters either

I just dont know how effective it will be for a small-medium apartment with carpet and a small dog

HI Tracey

Quick question i was under the impression that poodles do not smell??? Is the odour in your apartment from the dog or from toilet accidents and food? Sorry for asking but i live in an apartment and do not have a dog yet but woudl liek to know what type of doggy odours build up from a poodle?