Does Your Dog Have Different Energy Levels With Different Kibbles?

flycow

Hi all,

I am interested in your experiences between different brands of kibbles your dog have tried and the energy levels they get out of it.

My current pup Diva is on Eagle Pack 90% with a little meaty bones here and there. I noticed she often has bursts of energy that lasted at 30mins max, then she'd need to rest. This is especially true at her weekly 1hr puppy school where she can go from "ADHD" to almost burnt-out midway through class.

I know puppies do sleep alot however I didn't notice the same with many other pups the same age. 70% of them are either very energetic through class or they are calm. Now concentration is another matter in this case of different pups there, but I believe if I can get sustained energy for Diva, the concentration will be much better because she really likes her lessons.

Can everyone share their experiences between kibbles and their dogs? Please name the breed as well. Thanks for the input.

Rgds.

ETA for typo here and there.

Edited by flycow

What you eat affects your body-chemistry. It travels through the blood stream to the organs and muscles and every cell in the body, and that includes the brain.

Feeding inadequate* food not only has a short-term affect on energy levels, but will affect longevity, moods and long-term health.

* I am in no way implying that the food you are feeding your dog is inadequate (as I dont know anything about your brand of dog food). This was a general statement about food and how it affects the body.

And just like people, some dogs react differently to different ingredients, so maybe you should try something else if your dog's energy levels are fluctuating?

We feed our dog BARF and she is healthy, energetic, has a shiny coat, her breath doesnt smell, her teeth are clean etc. I couldnt be happier with her condition.

I have a friend who has a ten year old kelpie. He had this dog on the 'senior' variety of kibble for a few years because that's what he thought you were supposed to use. He got a good supply of advance in the red bag (energy or performance or some name like that) as a prize at Flyball and so used that instead of Senior kibble for a few months. He noticed such a change in the energy of his 'old' dog, he decided to keep him on the 'young' food. The almost 11 year old is still competing at flyball.

Jo

Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided to change the EP food, I'd be checking out other brands, Nutro is too exp and Hills have some preservatives that I don't feel comfortable with, may try Nutrience and observe her energy levels. Anyone on Nutrience?

Edited by flycow

Whichever you choose to feed you need to weigh up the balance between what it costs you per day for each product to feed your dog, and then have a good hard look at the ingredients list looking not only for chemical preservatives, but the type of grain used and other additives, and then make a choice from there. e.g Nutrience contains corn as a filler and also has preservatives :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hesapandabear, i am aware of the ingredients of Nutrience but has decided to let her try it out.

-------------------------------------------

Hello, it's been over three weeks since the switch. Just to share my experience with changing Diva's kibble from Eagle Pack Large Puppy to Nutrience Large Puppy. This is purely on one individual dog. I am not in anyway promoting Nutrience over EP, both which are great food. Diva just so happens to have improved in some areas so far since changing her kibbles. A lot of dogs thrive on Eagle Pack, but I think Eagle Pack didn't suit her, perhaps it's some of the ingredients.

Here's the improvement so far.

The number of poo has decreased from 4 times a day to 2-3 times. Size of poo has shrank by about 40% and is hard compared to soft to semi-hard when on EP. Poo is also much less pungent.

Short burst of hyperactiveness has lessen by half, she's calmer now throughout the day. I didn't notice any other differences to her breath and coat yet, will observe further.

Nutrience kibble is quite big so Diva get to munch a bit which she loves and the smell is quite palatable to me (smell like twisties). The other thing I noticed is that Nutrience doesn't swell much when soak in water unlike Eagle Pack. I don't know if this means anything at all.

Diva did use to taste her poo once in a while when on Eagle Pack, since changing to Nutrience, she seems to be slowly losing interest in it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by flycow

Nah, like I said it's just one dog. My other old dog (maltese) do well on table scraps and pedigree so what I posted doesn't say anything except the experience of my this one lab.

Actually I don't know what is going on in there as well, I haven't tried any other brands of kibble besides EP and Nutrience, so I don't know what is 'normal' for her. Just that she just didn't do as well as I hope on EP, especially the poo and energy part. Maybe it's not about nutrience, maybe if she take other brands of kibble other than EP she'll do well too, I'm just pretty convinced she's allergic to EP, who knows.

HI Flycow,

I have never had a lot of success with processed food either for my dogs, or myself.

So I set about and cook up a weekly stew and freeze it in daily portions.

IN that stew is is mixture of fresh beef and chicken and a little liver brown rice, and wholemeal pasta, simmered until just cooked, added lastly is heaps of vegetables cook for just 5 minutes, when serving I add 2 fish oil capsules, 1 tablespoon of LSA ( GROUND LINSEEDS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, AND ALMONDS ) you can buy this from Safeways, also some grated raw carrot and small handful of cheese.

Twice a week I give a boiled egg, do not be tempted to give uncooked egg whites.

Also twice a week I give a marrowbone ask butcher to split down the centre as the marrow inside is highly nutritious.

Try and get your dog interested in fresh fruit and serve this for brekkie before training and during if posible, my dogs loved fresh fruit it keeps their blood sugar levels elevated.

I know all this seems a bit of work, but it's worth the effort, I had Labs and German Sheps. and they were barrels of energy when working, and when you think of it when a dog is in the wild they do not eat processed food, it's all natural, humans are the ones that eat processed food.

Hope this helps.

Carla

my golden retriever used to be on a diet of supermarket dog food and canned food i have now changed that too Hills science diet light adult. I have found his energy has gone up he use to tire out more quickly. His on a diet to mantain his weight, His coat has become more silky and shiny. His been on hills science diet light adult for only 5 days and theres a big difference in his energy,coat, and well being.

Flycow,

Fantastic that you have found a dramatic change in you lab with the food change.

We feed Nutro at our place, with raw meat, bones, sardines, eggs, and yoghurt.

I swapped over form Science Diet and noticed a massive difference in their performance, coats behaviour adn poo etc.

I pay $95.00 for a 15kg bag of Nutro that lasts me 3 months feeding 2 dogs.

It works out to about $1.00 a day plus the meat so, realistically i feed the 2 of them for 1.50 a day.

I am pretty sure from what i have seen in the pet supply that EP and Nutrience are fairly similar in price to Nutro.

It seems that EP didn;t work for you, and each dog is different with food as is each person.

See how Nutrience goes for however long the bag lasts for. If you are completely happy, stick with it but if you think that there is still room for improvement then give Mutro a go.

My boy is/ was on Supercoat energy but I find it really hard to keep him in condition on this brand (when he is active, which is most of the time!)... So I think i'm going to change it to Nutrience/Proplan diet plus the raw food. His coat is great, but because he isn't keeping his condition (loosing weight BAD!) I have found his energy levels have dropped.... will also let you know how we go on nutrience.

I have found with Supercoat (he had a break from this while he was getting mostly raw) his stools were softer and there was more of them... the smell was pretty bad too!!!

Just some thoughts! Mind you I still recommed S/C for a mid-range product!