Puppy And Crating

Pawprints

I am doing all this ground work before I get my puppy in a few weeks!! :laugh:

I have decided after reading this forum and others peoples opinions to crate train him. I will have the crate in the ensuite to my bedroom and then move it out later to 'his' room when he's older etc.

My question is, he is a rottie, and obviously going to get big so I was looking at buying an XL crate, but can I block some of it off with a wire divider so that when he is small, the crate is smaller? Just after reading about toilet training and not leaving too much room in their crate that they sleep in one corner and pee in the other, this seems like a good option.

I just think it would be silly to keep buying crates as he grows!! (and expensive! :D )

Pawprints, I'm in exactly the same position and have come up with exactly the same conclusions :laugh:

I'm getting the 42" for my new pup as he's a lab x cattle x which should suit him perfectly as he grows.

I'm going to do the same, buy a small pad to fill half and leave the other half just in case accidents happen, cheaper buying new pads than whole new crates.

What type of crate are you going for? I think I've decided on a Petmate Deluxe, they are $100 more than the others but the stability is there that the others don't have.

Yep, many people get bigger one and then divide it and move the devider as pup grows. You should also think about where he will sleep eventually, if its not going to be your room, I would put crate where his permanent sleeping spot will be, that way he can get used to it straight away.

Thanks for the replies!! :scared:

His final sleeping place will ultimately be outside (except Winter when he will sleep inside in the lounge/family room etc).

So should I be putting the crate outside later on when he's old enough to be sleeping outside??? :laugh:

I think if you get them used to someting it will be more difficult to change later on, eg. if he is used to sleeping in your bedroom and then he is moved outside, he might cry a lot at night for you to let him in.....

I dont know, it probably doesnt really matter.

I think if you get them used to someting it will be more difficult to change later on, eg. if he is used to sleeping in your bedroom and then he is moved outside, he might cry a lot at night for you to let him in.....

I dont know, it probably doesnt really matter.

If you do the change gradually over a long period and only after the pup has settled into his new home and family and feels safe and loved you will not have any problems. :laugh:

We train all our pups this way and it is the same advise that I give to all my puppy people, and so far I have only ever had one person with problems and after talking to them I found out that they had the pup in with them all day, let it fall asleep on their laps then put it into its crate and put the crate in the garage. Needless to say the pup kept waking up in the middle of the night and howling. They then followed my instructions and everything has been A OK since. :scared:

Well people I have bought my crate. Got is off Deals Direct for $49!!! Pretty good!!

I know it won't be as sturdy as the more expensive ones but it will do for now. Hubby builds horse trailers and trailers for living so he will be able to knock a good one up by the time his gets big!!

Wish me luck in my crate training!! :)

What breed is your puppy? I'm getting my cavalier puppy in 8 days and I bought a 36" crate for her. I've just used a cardboard box to divide it at the moment. The idea is that she will sleep in the box (inside the crate) until she outgrows it, where I will remove the box and she'll sleep in the open crate. However, this is just an idea...so I'm not saying that it will work exactly as planned, but that's puppies for you :laugh:

Cheers,

Tessa

What breed is your puppy? I'm getting my cavalier puppy in 8 days and I bought a 36" crate for her. I've just used a cardboard box to divide it at the moment. The idea is that she will sleep in the box (inside the crate) until she outgrows it, where I will remove the box and she'll sleep in the open crate. However, this is just an idea...so I'm not saying that it will work exactly as planned, but that's puppies for you :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Tessa

Actually I think the cardboard box inside the crate is a brilliant idea but just keep in mind air flow,

My crate (not using it now) has lots of ventilation but Boris still would get hot in there and if you add a

box to the mix, you might find they overheat very quickly (maybe not too)

Just a thought.

i bought a big crate for my boy which was massive for him at 8 weeks so i put an upturned stack box in one half and just a bit of blanket in the other. When he eventually got too big for half i took the box out. He never chewed it and was toilet trained very quickly. :thumbsup: