What Brand Of Scissors To Buy?

I use 10 inch curved and straights on my standard poodles and prefer 8 and 8.5 on smaller dogs. The length refers to the entire length of the shears not the blade length. I have several pairs of jaguars which I really like. My first pair were Whals and cost about $70 - I quickly outgrew them and prefered the higher performance of more expensive equipment around $150 - 200 mark. It really depends how often you use them. Catchcut edges can be sharpened.

I want to get a set of straight and curved scissors for grooming, and want them to work (duh!) and be able to be sharpened if (when) they get blunt. Any ideas on what brand/type to get?

What bits do you want to use them on?

I bought some lovely 5 1/2 inch hairdressing scissors on Ebay for $40. Beautiful quality and I love using them. Great for feet. think it was this seller

I do have the 7 1/2 inch shear magic but don't use them much as they are bit big and chunky and not as good for detailed work.

Edited by Toohey

Hi BMP, we have 8.5 inch Roseline and Jaguar straights and curved at my place and a big 10 inch pair of curveds also.

"Feel" in the hand is important - some scissors suit some people better than others. Give me a yell if you want to come over and try them. :confused:

What bits do you want to use them on?

Scissoring legs and muzzles (beards), and around eyes. My dogs are all pretty small 4-7kg so I dont want to get anything too big, but want them big enough to do legs without having to chop, chop, chop (like I do now with the teeny $5 detail scissors I use for everything :laugh: )

Hi BMP, we have 8.5 inch Roseline and Jaguar straights and curved at my place and a big 10 inch pair of curveds also.

"Feel" in the hand is important - some scissors suit some people better than others. Give me a yell if you want to come over and try them. :)

Yes please :laugh: . I've sent you a PM.

I have a set of 7" Doggystylz straight scissors which are nice but are quite heavy. I decided not to get curved shears. I've managed without them for 20 years and done more than ok with my trimming so I can't see a need to change now.

My absolute BEST ebay buy recently was a lovely little pair of 5.5" straight scissors which I picked up for the princely sum of $9.99 (including postage) from this seller. I like them so much I'm going to get another pair.

The Roseline scissors are highly thought of in the USA and I'm saving my pennies to purchase a pair next year.

The Roseline scissors are highly thought of in the USA and I'm saving my pennies to purchase a pair next year.

Know what you mean, I priced a pair of thinning shears - $160.00 I nearly fainted in the pet supplies! I'm pretty sure I asked the attendant "were they sure?" :laugh:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller