Compatible Breeds With Rough Collie

fee

Compatable comes in many forms.The first question w say to people is how is the first dog with other dogs??Does it have social manners,does it now its boundries with other dogs ??Is the second dog going to be a companain for it due to boredom or is the second dog wanted by all family members.

How old is the first dog,how active,do you go for walks,play ball or is it a couch potatoe

I once had a rough collie with a lab and lab / kelpie. We lived on a property and the collie loved the chasey games and tug play with them but not too much of the rough stuff. He was top dog so a little growl from him would have the other 2 leave him alone. He was also the older dog and had been an only dog untill around 5 yrs.

I personally wouldn't put a collie with a boisterous dog like a staffy. My boy was such a gentle soul. I actually think a smaller dog like a cocker or cavie would be a good choice. My collie was very gentle with smaller animals especially cats. Thats my opinion from the one collie I had.

Edited by Scarlet

rough collie. dont have the individual in question. eventually we will be looking to by another and was just wondering whether there are any no no's. I guess it also depends on the individuals personality

Oh I get it ...you are looking for a Rough Collie and your BF is also going to get a dog and you want to be sure they will get on ?

I guess there are no 100% guarantees, the same as kids, sometimes brothers and sisters are just at each others throats almost all of the time, others get on and play well together most of the time.

You can have a bit more input into the temperements and sex of the dogs you choose :) but there is always the risk of personality clashes down the track.

If you buy both dogs from experienced and caring breeders (or rescuers if you choose that path) you should be able to get help choosing two dogs who will be likely to get along with others based on the temperement of the parents but should also have a backup plan of a way to keep them seperated when not under supervision if it does turn out they don't get along well enough to be left alone in a yard together.

There's only 1 thing better than 1 Rough Collie and that's 2 Rough Collies :cheer: . Of course I am biased :eek: . My mum had a Pomeranian X at one stage and she got on fine with my Collie, can't even recall them ever fighting and both were females. Collies are pretty sensitive and while they play rough and tumble games well together I think a big boisterous boofer might be a bit much JMHO. So much depends on the individual dog's personalities and drives though, don't think there can be any hard and fast rules applied here.

Cheers,

Corine

Edited 4 spelling.

Edited by fido666

GO THE SHELTIE!!! and get them the same colour if you can and then try to pass of the sheltie as a the big ones puppy all its life!!!! :cheer:

or another rough... I do think two of the same is fun... means they would have similar athletic ability and probably enjoy the same sort of games :eek: Im not sure if it is the same with dogs - but with cats if you get two from the same litter then they stay best friends/inseperable and I like to see this sort of bond between pets :D