How To Leave My Puppy Home Alone

Meetu

Hi lillysmum... I can assure you both my puppies are well looked after - if not to the extreme.

Both puppies are on the correct vaccination course, both are fleas monthly and both are wormed. I can assure you my vet is very happy with the progress of the puppies.

As for exercise, I would be interested in hearing your suggestions to make a 10week old puppy and a 6month old puppy (one being a Blue Heeler X Red Heeler and the other being a Blue Heeler X Kelpie) sit still or sleep during the day and not play. Crating is not an option for me - I feel leaving a dog/puppy in a metal cage/fence is an act of cruelty - even more so when I’ve read on this forum people leave their crates on a slab of concrete.

As for the puppies temperate, both my dogs have access to inside the house through a doggie door - both know how to use it. During hot days we even leave the air cooling on for them to ensure they do not get hot. I have purchased them a paddle pool to play in during these hot days - I freeze them ice treats to lick.

You’re very quick to come down on other dog users - your not voicing an opinion you are judging. I guess you will fall out of your seat if I tell you both get fresh bones (chocking hazard), they both get the puppy dental bones (as per packaging not suitable for dogs under 1 year), the little one eats snails (poison), the older one eats flies (dirty) and both sleep on my bed (dominance issues).

But most importantly both are happy, healthy, obedient and loyal to me..... Can you say the same about your dogs?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two puppies - a 6month old and a 10week old.

Both my dogs are taken for at least one 45min RUN each day. I take them down to KCC park and let them run loose - how can you keep a puppy locked up all day and not let it get out and run? Try telling either of my dogs they should be taking it easy. Not only do they have this run, but they are constantly playing during the day -

At their age, especially the baby, they do not need more exercise than what they get playing in their own yard. "at least one 45min RUN" is far too much for growing bones. And, the ten weeker should not be out in public dog parks without having completed their vaccinations :thumbsup:

When i say 45min run i don't mean jogging next to me - i wish i could run for that long. When i say run i mean free to play down at the park.

As for vaccinations, yes you do have a point and i agree with you. That said, her course of vaccinations wont be finished for another 2months - this puppy will tear the house and the garden apart if i do not take her out for a walk/play. I don't understand how other dog/puppy owners manage by locking their dog up for so long. Surely if i have another dog running around outside of the property it can easily bring disease etc home. Dogs slobber all over each other and i know the little puppy always spits on the older puppy. Plus our cat hasn't had any of it's vaccinations.

Again, interested for people to comment on how they manage puppies for long period of time without outside exercise - both my two have far to much energy to stay locked up. If either of my working dogs were on a working farm i'm sure both would be outside in the hot/cold, chained up eating tinned Pal or homebrand dog feed getting ready to round up the stock.

Bare in mind one "puppy" is nearly 20kg.

Look this thread could go on forever and ever.. and it clearly is - hello page 9. We all want to believe we are the best owners in the world and i honestly believe we all are. No matter if you work or not, as long as you are treating you dog well, feeding your dog, getting regular check ups, exercising, training and loving your animal unconditionally, then you are the greatest owner. You are the person who went to the pound, pet shop, breeder and gave your pup a home. That is the best thing a person can do.

We are all going to have our opinions on what is right and wrong. And if i didn't have to work, i would love to be home with my pup all day. I love her, i adore her and would do anything for her and i think in the bigger picture that is all that matters!

You are all great dog owners. We are on this forum after all asking for advice for our dogs and pups, sending in photos and chatting to fellow owners, that has to prove how much we care and love our animals.

Never doubt yourself, if you believe you are doing what is best for your pup.. then you are!

So to bring the subject to a happier note... lets talk about the time we are having over christmas with our animals... I am having 2 weeks off and will be spending this time with Lily. I have brought her a new collar for christmas and she has her own stocking - so i am also going to get some treats aswell.

Welcome to all the new dog owners and their very cute puppies :rofl: Fern has been sleeping outside for the last 2 weeks, since she was 8/9 weeks old. Sight unseen for at least 10 hours, sometimes we hear her though :eek: Usually barking or being barked at by the older dog. :rofl: Most people work fulltime, most people leave their pups outside alone, most have a wonderful life, most have no problems. You can't base your life on fear - what if this happens, what if that happens. You do your best to minimise risks but accept that sometimes things go worng. Sometimes accidents do happen and guess what? That's all they are - accidents. To all the new dog owners out there - enjoy, I know I am :rofl:

Look this thread could go on forever and ever.. and it clearly is - hello page 9. We all want to believe we are the best owners in the world and i honestly believe we all are. No matter if you work or not, as long as you are treating you dog well, feeding your dog, getting regular check ups, exercising, training and loving your animal unconditionally, then you are the greatest owner. You are the person who went to the pound, pet shop, breeder and gave your pup a home. That is the best thing a person can do.

We are all going to have our opinions on what is right and wrong. And if i didn't have to work, i would love to be home with my pup all day. I love her, i adore her and would do anything for her and i think in the bigger picture that is all that matters!

You are all great dog owners. We are on this forum after all asking for advice for our dogs and pups, sending in photos and chatting to fellow owners, that has to prove how much we care and love our animals.

Never doubt yourself, if you believe you are doing what is best for your pup.. then you are!

So to bring the subject to a happier note... lets talk about the time we are having over christmas with our animals... I am having 2 weeks off and will be spending this time with Lily. I have brought her a new collar for christmas and she has her own stocking - so i am also going to get some treats aswell.

Well said LilyW :rofl:

I am having 3 weeks off over xmas and can't wait to spend it with my Molly. Her personality is really starting to come through and i love watching her grow :rofl:

Well said LilyW :rofl:

I am having 3 weeks off over xmas and can't wait to spend it with my Molly. Her personality is really starting to come through and i love watching her grow :rofl:

Oh 3 weeks, you lucky thing, Molly is going to love it... :rofl:

I just found the coolest new toy out there for Diesel. He plays with it for hours at a time! It is called a 'hair ballz'. It is a big fluffy ball with a face, but the coolest thing is when you drop it on the floor it starts vibrating and rolling around. It also sings, makes cat and cow noises etc..... very entertaining! It might not suit a timid dog, but my puppy LOVES it and learnt within 10 mins how to set it off himself.

A really good toy for all you puppy lovers that have to leave your babies home alone for a while. I have also recently bought him a sand pit. He loves digging and burying things in it. I bury treats in it before I go to work in the morning, and I know he must dig for quite a while - all the treats are gone in the afternoon, and there is sand kicked all over the yard! (thanks to other DOLers for that idea!)

So there are lots of things you can do to keep your puppy entertained and stimulated while you are at work!

I am on holidays in less than a week, so can't wait to be able to play with Diesel all day! Lots of beach visits for us I think!

I just found the coolest new toy out there for Diesel. He plays with it for hours at a time! It is called a 'hair ballz'. It is a big fluffy ball with a face, but the coolest thing is when you drop it on the floor it starts vibrating and rolling around. It also sings, makes cat and cow noises etc..... very entertaining! It might not suit a timid dog, but my puppy LOVES it and learnt within 10 mins how to set it off himself.

That sounds awesome Diesel! Can u just purchase that from your average pet store?

There are so many great things out there for pups. I got a soccer ball the other day that has two little rubbery handles either side. Lily runs around the backyard with it in her mouth. On hot days it is good to freeze up a bottle of water. Lily loves chewing on ice etc so she loves to try and get through the bottle to the water. Sometimes the simple things are very effective.

I also hear the sandpit is a great idea Diesel, good to keep them entertained and away from the garden. Also good to fill up with water on those hot days aswell.

LilyW damn you I have lamb chop stuck in my head now!

I used to have a hairballz for my 2 and they loved it, it was their absolute fav toy, til it went to toy heaven! :rofl:

:rofl: Funny you should say that, i was drying my hair this morning singing it and i was thinking why am i singing this....

:rofl: I'll be singing it for the rest of the day!!!

Our furball thingy came from Robbo's pet Barn in dandenong

Even after they had destoyed the ball (which took a while for staffords so they must be pretty tough), they still carried the fur around and treasured it for months! :rofl:

:rofl: I'll be singing it for the rest of the day!!!

Our furball thingy came from Robbo's pet Barn in dandenong

Even after they had destoyed the ball (which took a while for staffords so they must be pretty tough), they still carried the fur around and treasured it for months! :rofl:

Karma, now i have that little Robbo's pet barn jingle in my head..... !!

I am heading to the pet shop today to get food, may have to check out if they have this toy...

Hi lillysmum... I can assure you both my puppies are well looked after - if not to the extreme.

Both puppies are on the correct vaccination course, both are fleas monthly and both are wormed. I can assure you my vet is very happy with the progress of the puppies.

As for exercise, I would be interested in hearing your suggestions to make a 10week old puppy and a 6month old puppy (one being a Blue Heeler X Red Heeler and the other being a Blue Heeler X Kelpie) sit still or sleep during the day and not play. Crating is not an option for me - I feel leaving a dog/puppy in a metal cage/fence is an act of cruelty - even more so when I’ve read on this forum people leave their crates on a slab of concrete.

As for the puppies temperate, both my dogs have access to inside the house through a doggie door - both know how to use it. During hot days we even leave the air cooling on for them to ensure they do not get hot. I have purchased them a paddle pool to play in during these hot days - I freeze them ice treats to lick.

You’re very quick to come down on other dog users - your not voicing an opinion you are judging. I guess you will fall out of your seat if I tell you both get fresh bones (chocking hazard), they both get the puppy dental bones (as per packaging not suitable for dogs under 1 year), the little one eats snails (poison), the older one eats flies (dirty) and both sleep on my bed (dominance issues).

But most importantly both are happy, healthy, obedient and loyal to me..... Can you say the same about your dogs?

Good for you! :rofl:

I responded to what you posted which is why I quoted you...if you think I can know everything about your pup's lives then please tell me how I could know what you've just posted here (that I've just quoted above)??? I'm not THAT psychic! :rofl:

And yes, my dogs are all happy, healthy, well-adjusted, know their places in our lives, obey commands and are keen to learn new ones, and being dogs, they are loyal to me and to my husband. Even the dogs I foster flourish in my care, as evidenced by a number of people making comments as to the progress my current foster dog has made since I rescued her some months ago. But this thread is about puppy care and I don't take or keep pups, only grown dogs b/c I know pups are less suited to our living arrangements (I'm a contract worker so can't guarantee that I can go home at lunchtime during the work-day). :eek:

I'm not being judgemental in the least, but as I said, I've responded to the concerns that your first post raised. They are valid concerns. That you have addressed them to a degree shows that you care about your animals but also that you still believe you are doing nothing that may adversely affect either or both of those animals' health or well-being. They are your animals and you are entitlted to treat them how you see fit, within the laws that apply. :rofl: But some of the management tools you have posted in this thread concern me - - - that's all. :rofl: