Over-feeding Puppy Is Easy To Do!

samoyedman

So I was at the Castle Hill Dog Show on Saturday and some Samoyed friends were giving my puppy a good going-over. All-in-all he seems to be a good pup except for one thing; after feeling his guts I was told I'm over-feeding him.

Sure enough the next night for the first time ever he wouldn't eat a bit of food. He isn't sick or anything because this morning he wolfed down his breakfast.

I've been told pups should have 3 meals until 6 months old. Is it best to cut back to 2 meals now (instantly or gradually) or to just cut down on quantities I'm feeding him?

For us amateur dog-owners it seems like its such a fine line between over-feeding and feeding your dog properly.

Thanks for any tips.

Edited by samoyedman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed 2 meals a day from about 5-6 months onwards. I will change the amount my dogs get depending on their activity level and the way they're looking.

ETA: your dog should have a defined waist line. I know you have lots of fur to deal with there, so get your hands on your dog and feel :)

Edited by shekhina

ETA: your dog should have a defined waist line. I know you have lots of fur to deal with there, so get your hands on your dog and feel :love:

I, ummm....don't like groping around down there...his gut is above his John Thomas. Call me old fashioned but it's a guy thing.

:)

I, ummm....don't like groping around down there...his gut is above his John Thomas. Call me old fashioned but it's a guy thing. :)

I hope you are intending to have your boy desexed then. Entires males must have their testicles checked weekly by their owners to make sure any cancer (or other nasty lumps) are found ASAP.

You really need to be checking is tummy and genital area regularly either way, so I hope you can get over your own 'issues' for the sake of your dog.

I, ummm....don't like groping around down there...his gut is above his John Thomas. Call me old fashioned but it's a guy thing. :love:

I hope you are intending to have your boy desexed then. Entires males must have their testicles checked weekly by their owners to make sure any cancer (or other nasty lumps) are found ASAP.

You really need to be checking is tummy and genital area regularly either way, so I hope you can get over your own 'issues' for the sake of your dog.

This is why I sooo need a girlfriend :)

WTF? You only need to run your hands along his sides and over his back to get a feel of what his body is like under that fur. His waistline is right infront of his hips, not between his legs.

ok. The Samoyed people at the show looked like they were a bit more "down under" if you follow my drift...uncomfortably close for my liking :)

Why is this funny? :) Because of your lack of security in your sexuality, you cannot check your dog properly putting it at risk, that is NOT funny.

You could miss or not treat:

- paralysis ticks in the area

- urinary tract infections

- testicular cancer

- cancer or other lumps in the abdomen, testicles, prostate area etc

- wounds

- hair matts (surely you brush the area?)

- penis can engorge and be ubable to retract

- etc etc

:love:

Why is this funny? :) Because of your lack of security in your sexuality, you cannot check your dog properly putting it at risk, that is NOT funny.

You could miss or not treat:

- paralysis ticks in the area

- urinary tract infections

- testicular cancer

- cancer or other lumps in the abdomen, testicles, prostate area etc

- wounds

- hair matts (surely you brush the area?)

- penis can engorge and be ubable to retract

- etc etc

:love:

Flycow: I use a groomer.

To Molasses; cheer up, its Xmas. I'm joking around a bit here and Im kinda new to this. Pls note the emoticons I use are generally meant to indicate some frivolity in what I post. ;)

To Molasses; cheer up, its Xmas. I'm joking around a bit here and Im kinda new to this. Pls note the emoticons I use are generally meant to indicate some frivolity in what I post.

That's not frivolity, it's lying - plain and simple. If you're going to lie to people then you will get replies based on your lies and you have no one to blame but yourself.

To Molasses; cheer up, its Xmas. I'm joking around a bit here and Im kinda new to this. Pls note the emoticons I use are generally meant to indicate some frivolity in what I post.

That's not frivolity, it's lying - plain and simple. If you're going to lie to people then you will get replies based on your lies and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Its not lying. Of course I can inspect my dog and as a person semi-new to dogs there's some things I'm not used to doing yet and my way of dealing with them is by having a bit of a laugh about them. I think most people here get that...but not all it seems.

I don't take kindly to being called a liar...I think you're over-reacting.

Get a reality Check Folks especially Molasses!!!This is the very thing being talked about in another Thread "Horrible People on DOL".

Samoyedman was asking a question, to get a bit of an Idea about feeding not a full on Lecture about what he should be doing with his Dog!!!I could see from where I am he was throwing a bit of Humour in his Post!!!Its a bit sad when somebody is accused of Lying and being indoubt about their Sexuality when all they did was ask a Question!!! Tonymc

Flycow, I don't follow anyone, I post based on what I see. What I saw was a new dog owner thinking it's funny that they are unable to adequately care for their dog. I don't find that funny, I find it highly alarming.

Its not lying. Of course I can inspect my dog and as a person semi-new to dogs there's some things I'm not used to doing yet and my way of dealing with them is by having a bit of a laugh about them.

It is lying. First you intimated that you would not do these things. Now you say that you can (but do you?). That therefore makes the first posts lies.

It may be over-reacting, but I will always speak-up for an animal rather than not offend a human.

And if you want people not to have the possibility of over-reacting to your 'jokes' then perhaps you should be a little clearer (i.e. "I, ummm....don't like groping around down there...his gut is above his John Thomas. But I guess for his health I can do it."). Saves others the trouble of getting upset, you the trouble of being insulted and when you take advice seriously people will be more willing to give it.

:)