Oh God.. Sick Puppy.. Not Mine..

EISHUND

A while ago i looked a litter of pups with a friend of mine. We used my phone to call them to arrange the visit. Turns out when we get there, the 'papered' parents were in fact parents with 'microchip' papers. :cry: Needless to say, a puppy wasn't bought.

Now, these people have just rung me, 20 minutes ago. One of the pups is sick and they don't know what to do, and can't afford to take it to the vet.. They want me to take it :( They said you are a dog lover and know about them, but we don't have enough money as we just vaccinated them. They haven't done this one as it is sick.. What should i do? They want me to meet them when i finish work to take the puppy??? :mad

help. advice.. i finish work in 45min...

cross posted to rescue.

Edited by Luv my White Shepherd

If they cant afford to take a puppy to a vet then they shouldn't have taken one on in the first instance.

How old is the puppy concerned, what are the symptoms?, have they been exposed to other dogs?.

More details would be appreciated.

I read this as meaning White Shepherd and friend went to a 'breeder' but didn't buy a pup.

The breeder is the one with the sick pup. I wonder how long before the rest of the pups are ill.

Any bright ideas on how to shut these people down?

Will RSPCA or Animal Welfare do anything if contacted?

Have pmd you White Shep

This is terribly sad and infuriating at the same time. Why would they bring a litter of puppies into the world when they cannot afford veterinary treatment? no need to answer that!

Are the breeders friends of yours? They sound like they would be as I cannot imagine strangers ringing you up and asking you to take one of the pups to the vet for them. This is very strange.

What breed are these pups?

If you take the pup to the vet will you be allowed to keep it? would you want to keep it if they agreed to it?

What is wrong with the pup? diarrhea, vomiting, coughing? etc etc

I would not take the pup if I were you , instead I would call the rescue service or whatever it's called in your state.

The likelyhood of the other pups being or becoming sick is a real problem, these people seem to know nothing about dogs, just backyard breeders who breed for monetry gain.

Jessie...

I wouldn't expect a rescue group to pick up the pieces. That's asking too much of rescue and it's not what rescue is about. What if this pup has parvo? If it does then that could put a rescue person off the job for quite some time due to contamination of their property.

This pup needs to see a vet. Didn't these BYB's make enough money from the sale of the pups, presuming they sold some, to be able to afford vet treatment.

These people have got a cheek expecting to offload this poor little puppy on you because he is sick. I wouldn't make it easy for them. It's their obligation to get vet treatment for a sick puppy they bred.

CavNrott,

The breeders have already said they would not take pup to Vet, so failing that what would you suggest, The RSPCA in Victoria will rescue sick dogs, the fact that our forum member has entered the premises has taken the risk of carrying the disease off the premises with the risk of infecting other dogs, it's very likely that the recue organization will send a Vet to the premises to check the pup and the siblings, I still recommend that someone talk to an organization of some kind regarding this situation.

Jessie

I wouldn't expect a rescue group to pick up the pieces. That's asking too much of rescue and it's not what rescue is about. What if this pup has parvo? If it does then that could put a rescue person off the job for quite some time due to contamination of their property.

This pup needs to see a vet. Didn't these BYB's make enough money from the sale of the pups, presuming they sold some, to be able to afford vet treatment.

These people have got a cheek expecting to offload this poor little puppy on you because he is sick. I wouldn't make it easy for them. It's their obligation to get vet treatment for a sick puppy they bred.

These backyard breeders are not aware of their obligations, they are only there to make a quick dollar, I thought it was rather obvious regarding their phone call to our member asking her to take a sick puppy, perhaps I am being unfair to these people but I feel they know nothing about dogs at all.

Jessie

Sorry guys, haven't been on DOL for a couple of days, you must be chomping at the bit for an update. :o

I eventually agreed to meet up with these people in a public place, and take a look at the puppy to see how bad she was. It was awful, she was laying in this cardboard box, very weak and dehydrated, and she had 'that' smell. She had not eaten since the night before, had the runs and was vomiting. I was almost certain I was dealing with a parvo puppy. I told these people that puppy really needs to see a vet, and the girlfriend started crying. They seemed genuinely upset that they could not afford veterinary care (i'm not defending these people in any way), as they had paid to vaccinate them all (except sick pup) that day. They were a young Vietnamese couple, the puppies were from an Aunty's dog, and she had gone overseas, so they were left to look after them. The pups were given to them at 4 weeks of age :eek: . So they've been away from their Mum since then! :mad I believe it was more a case of ignorance and not knowing any better then anything else. They were German Shepherds. I told them they need to sanitise the area the pups are kept, and not to let them leave for 2 weeks while they build up immunity from their vaccinations. They have texted me every day to see how the pup is going and thanked me a million times for caring enough to help.

I agreed to take the puppy, for free, (yes, i'm a sucker for a furry in need) but i let them know that she may have to be pts. I rang my vet and informed him of the sick pup. I myself, can't afford to pay for treatment for a parvo puppy, (if it was my own dog, different story) so he told me to give the puppy until the next morning and he would euth her for nothing if no improvement.

When i got her home, (thursday night) I put her in a crate and quarantined her. I offered her some water, which she drank like no tomorrow, so i removed it, going back every two hours to give her smaller drinks, so as to not upset her tummy.

Next morning (friday) , she was much brighter, still ill, but wagged her tail and had another drink. 'That' smell had also mysteriously disappeared :laugh: I let my vet know that i'd like to give her some more time, so he said to wait another 24hours and monitor her closely.

On Saturday morning, much happier, drinking, but not eating, and still a bit dehydrated, so i called the greyhound people behind my place and they offered to give her some fluids. (you know the one where they inject it under their skin, and it goes like a big bubble and the body absorbs it.)

Saturday afternoon is when i noticed the most improvement, she was bright eyed, waggy tail, making those excited puppy noises to see me, still not eating though. I put 8 little dry bikkies in there and threw a piece of steak in the microwave to defrost. It was reassuring, as Kazz saw her when dropping off a BC to my place, and she felt as though this bub was going to make a full recovery :laugh: So Kazz took some pic's (as i can't find my camera :o) Thanks Kazz :D

At 7pm, I cut up the steak, and took out 5 small pieces to puppy. The bikkies i put in her crate were gone! She ate the steak too! :cheer: She ate more at 10pm, and more at 7am this morning! No vomiting, kept it all down! She is behaving like a normal happy puppy now! She is skinny after not eating for almost 4 days, but i'm sure she'll look like a million bucks once she's had some LMWS TLC! Kymbaly sent some angels puppy's way too, so maybe they helped out as well ;)

I can not believe the turn around this puppy has done. I was pretty sure this puppy had no chance when i picked her up. Certainly a pleasant surprise. :)

Will keep you all posted on her recovery.

could have been gastro, instestinal infection or the pup could have eaten something toxic that inflamed its bowel and the idiots didnt treat it.

Gee money for mobile phones, relatives that can go overseas yet handball an animal that needs veterinary care because they may have to make a few sacrifices. Should have thought about the responsability involved before taking the animals.

could have been gastro, instestinal infection or the pup could have eaten something toxic that inflamed its bowel and the idiots didnt treat it.

Gee money for mobile phones, relatives that can go overseas yet handball an animal that needs veterinary care because they may have to make a few sacrifices. Should have thought about the responsability involved before taking the animals.

Agree totally Nekhbet.