They're Always *starving*!

ahaze

I often think how difficult it must be for a new dog owner to cope with the amazing amount of information around on feeding dogs. And the amazing amount of conflicting information!!

Over the years, via reading, trial and error, talking to friends, having problems, seeing dogs live from birth to old age and death, I have evolved what seems to me to be a good diet for all my dogs, in terms of their well being, cost, and ease of preparation. It's taken a long time, and a lot of different feeding regimes though.

I've probably used just about every method of feeding - when the very first dry dog food was available, like everyone else, I embraced this wonderful new way of feeding (there was only one brand, and it was pretty ordinary - added to which, the dogs didn't like it much!). Cans too, were a wonderful invention and the dogs just loooved them. They cost a lot, and getting rid of the empties was a problem.

Then I embraced the dog stew - a few breeders used to take turns to visit the abbatoirs to collect the "offcuts" - and very nice meat it was too. From this, I cooked up a yummy stew, veges, all sorts of things. That was pretty popular, and they did well on it. No bones though, as they fought over them, and I couldn't be bothered.

At the time, whatever I used was the you beaut new never fail dog diet!! Absolutely the cutting edge!! And the supplements - this for that, and something else for whatever, oh wow!!

Even now, I pick up ideas which I use - some work, some don't. Mind you, I have a few dogs to experiment with, and I've had quite a lot over the years. Some of the rescues have problems too - very thin, or bald from skin problems, so they get experimented on too.

It's easy to sit here and say "oh, but this is the best" - but how does a novice owner know? Everyone has different advice, which works for them.

My daughter, who works long and irregular hours, feeds her 2 dogs premium dry food. When she is very busy, she simply puts a lot out, and they help themselves. I find this a bit appalling, but the dogs look great - so who is right??

Ahaze, you just have to listen, learn, research and do a bit of trial and error.

However, if your pups are always hungry, they are not getting enough to eat - so maybe you need to up their protein level or the quantity a bit. You'll work it out in the end. If you cared enough to come on here and ask, you will succeed. If you look and listen, and have empathy with your dog, he will tell you.

Recently, someone gave me a bitch. A nice little bitch, about 12 months old, but very skinny and hyperactive. For the first month, I fed her separately, morning and evening, as much as she could eat. Which was about twice what I would consider normal. After 3 weeks, she was struggling to finish, so I cut the food down a bit. She put on quite a lot of weight, and looked pretty good. Then she began refusing her breakfast, so I cut it out.

Now she eats "regular" meals, looks great, and is no longer hyperactive ... she had always been hyperactive. So, the diet regime was right for her.

You will find what suits your dogs, but if they act hungry, they probably are!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what did the breeder you got your puppies off feed the dam? what were the pups weaned onto?

We sent our pups home with some diet info and when we weaned them we used a smaller version of what we gave the dam :laugh:

A diet is a big thing to work out & my final piece of advice is you need to do what is best for you & your pups....

My dogs never get fed raw bovine however I do feed raw chicken & occasionally roo as the basis of their raw meat section of their diets.. I have my personal beliefs for this & I am sure with experiences you have whilst sorting what is best for your guys you too will develop your beliefs

Yes jed it is amazing amount of conflicting information on dog food. finn was on super coat puppy ( he allso gets chicken necks and beef every day )then put him on the adult one but he got stinky from it. we thought he had found a really nice stinky bit in the yard so washed him and he still stunk so change him over to eagle pack holistic (duck one) and he is like a new boy . but we want him on a raw food diet and I just got a copy of raw meaty bones for $19:00 :laugh: (ebay)so will be looking in to that

Ahaze all I can say is research and wish you luck with the www on dog food just cross check all the info you find

Thank you all for your considerate replies- Jed, I really appreciate your seeing things from my point of view and being so understanding and taking it easy on me! :laugh: Bommy, these are RSPCA mutt pups, not purebreds. But of course that doesn't mean that I don't still want to do what is best for them!

Again, thanks all - I will continue with my research and experimentation.

Ahaze if you are interested at all in raw feeding, perhaps the most "accessible" book would be "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" by Kymathy? Schultze.

Billinghurst is excellent but it takes a while to wade through his stuff. He's also dropped feeding cereals since he wrote his first book Give Your Dog a Bone.

His new "BARF Diet" is an easier read and as I said earlier in the thread his other book is about puppy raising "Grow Your Pups With Bones"

As Jed said, the fact that you've taken the trouble to post shows that you are on the road to success - whatever feeding regime you choose. Your dogs origins and breeding are irrelevant really -they all need the same TLC.

Edited by poodlefan

Ahaze if you are interested at all in raw feeding, perhaps the most "accessible" book would be "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" by Kymathy? Schultze.

Thanks for that poodlefan - this is quite a coincidence. I am American, and in my "former life" I worked in commercial radio in San Diego, California. For a long time I worked with Kymythy Schultze and her husband Blair at a radio station there (this was almost 15 years ago!), where Blair was production director and on air talent, and Kymythy was on air part time as well. Blair was my very first mentor in radio, and I just got out of the industry about 1.5 years ago, shortly after which my husband and I moved to QLD (hubby is Australian).

I learned a lot from Blair and Kymythy about natural diets for humans. I knew that they were serious about a natural diet for their Newfoundlands too, who often came to work with Kymythy in the evenings. I think I vaguely remember the fact that Kymythy had started writing but never really followed up on it. I'm happy to hear she's respected in her field! :laugh:

Edited by ahaze

Wow Ahaze - that IS one hell of a coincidence.

Kymythy's book basically follows Billinghurst's principles but she's a far better writer than Dr B. :laugh: I tend to recommend Kymathy's book for people who are thinking about raw feeding as she spells out the principles very well. Dr B's books have more detail on the actual "how to".

Edited for spelling of Kymythy's name - my copy is out on loan at the moment.

Edited by poodlefan

I have bred a lot of greyhounds and would never give my pups Farrels kibble. I start them on weetbix and fine mince. As they get older they get puppy kibble pedigree them working dog mix. petigree or Bonnie. However I give them beef mince, chicken mince, , bones chicken necks yolk of egg. Also a stew once a week. Do not feed onions. A vet will tell you this.

I use calcium,magnesium and multivits with greys. Only use good worm pills. drontal etc. I found years ago that the ones you buy in supermarkets may be okay a couple times but then you are wasting your money. worming is very important.

I think show dogs would need the best but if only pets you may not need the vits etc.