Puppy Desexing And Meds

kymbo

Apologies in advance for the scroller

Frodo is finally getting desexed and chipped this month. I am a tad worried about post operative pain etc, cause he is a bit of a drama queen ( in fact, the vet refused to chip him as a pup because of the carry on; she said wait till he was 'under' ). Is it standard proceedure for pain meds to be given at the time, and then for a few days after? The reason I am asking this, is that when my other dog had a bad anal gland infection, he ended up in SO much pain, and I would have thought the vet would have known this was going to happen and supply pain meds for when the pain injection wore off. As it was, I had to go back ( after a terrible night) and get meds, and I was made to feel a bit of an over pandering twit :thumbsup:

Sorry about all the questions, but should I clip the area as well? When my cat got done, he wasn't clipped, and it was pretty messy trying to keep it clean. Do they clip the 'area' for a dog? Or does it differ vet to vet? He has a pretty full petticoat, and I can imagine the mess...

Also, Frodo is an extremely active dog. Even when he had a sore shoulder, it didn't stop him. Should I ask for something to slow him down for a day or two as well??? I can't crate him or lock him up as he goes phycho-puppy.

TIA ...this is really worrying me

kym

Edited by kymbo

Kym male pups especially bounce back very quickly, ask them to give him his pain meds when he is getting desexed,he will be fine I have many desexed doing rescue work and none have had any problems, its a simple procedure, I agree it is hard to stop them tearing around, maybe get a elizabethan collar for him I bet he is the sort that would try and tear the stitches out if he can, and try and stop him jumping which will be hard I know, keep him on a lead as much as you can that may help....ps he shouldnt need any medication after surgery....ps they will clip a small area as it isnt good if hairs get into the surgery site....Just remember no baths until his stitches are out and no playing in puddles :thumbsup:

Edited by varicool

We got Jack "neutered" last wednesday. I was very suprised by the cost $144 after a 10% discount, he is 25-30kgs so I was expecting it to be much more! He was very tired when he came home - we kept him in the laundry and by the next day he was back to his old self, but, we had to keep him in the laundry till after lunch as the grass was wet (we let him out for toileting). He didn't go for a walk that day either and the vet gave us a neck thing if he paid too much attention to the stitches - he has tried a couple of times, but otherwise he had a really quick recovery, and of the vet told us too ring if there were any problems!

There shouldn't be any post-operative bleeding so you shouldn't need to clean it.

The wound is best left to dry, if you bathe it everyday you'll only cause skin infection.

Most Vets do give pain relief but some older ones still don't.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

our girl was done just before christmas - within 24hrs she was running round like nothing had happened - even when i forgot to give her the pain meds!! :opps:

see how he goes he will only be as energetic as he feels and prob a little sore for 24hrs.

my vet shaved - heaps! it will take forever to grow back! nevermind :rofl: he used dissolvable stitches so no need for a return trip..:rofl:

Ya big sook :)

As the others have said he should be fine, our vet doesn't give pain meds and I've never seen a problem with post op pain.

Maybe try some Rescue Remedy (from health food shop or chemist) to calm him down for a day or two afterwards and if he is a fiesty little sook the collar varicool suggested might be a good idea too.

Good Luck Frodo !!!