Skin Infections On Wrinkly Dogs

paulag

Hi Paulag,

Some people gain results from using Malaseb an anti bacterial and anti fungal shampoo. As a wash it acts at the site of infection without as many systemic effects as oral antibiotics. Most vets sell Malaseb so ask your usual vet about it.

Hope that it all goes well. :D

Daily maintance.Any of the breeds with folded areas need to have those areas cleaned regulary which many people never do.

Use a face wash & wipe the area each day especially when its hot & humid those ares just fester bugs

Daily maintance.Any of the breeds with folded areas need to have those areas cleaned regulary which many people never do.

Use a face wash & wipe the area each day especially when its hot & humid those ares just fester bugs

Yes, I agree. I think there should be no need to use antibiotics if you take care of the situation properly. The dirt and grime that gets into those folds of skin is just an infection waiting to happen, so keep them clean and clear and under control. :wink:

Maleseb is good but frankly no need for it unless the situation is pretty serious.

Best way to stop it is to prevent it. Clean clean and clean. In dog breeds like this you need to clean between the folds and they eyes. Eyes you can use some fresh brewed cold tea or just saline liquid on a bit of cotton wool or those cotton cleansing pads.

You should be fine with just using a facecloth and warm water for morning and night to wipe between the folds and ears. Smart idea is to have a few face washers handy that way you can always use a clean one. This way bacteria doesnt spread. If the area is really dirty a little soapy water will get rid of it.

Also good idea to wash the dog weekly, especially if they been playing and rolling around outside.

As an owner/breeder of wrinkly dogs - I would recommend using malaseb twice weekly for a couple of weeks and make sure the dog is on a high quality diet. I would not recommend weekly bathing on a regular basis - too much washing would decrease the natural oils in the coat. Mine are washed about every 2/3 mnths (more for the show dogs - I can't bear to show a dirty dog!) though I have been in trouble with other show breeders who will only wash their dogs twice a year! Wiping the face with a damp washer is a good idea if you only have the one dog - my dogs tend to clean each other after every meal so not a problem here. Regular brushing is important. None of mine have skin problems and they spend much of the time outdoors.

Hi, Im wondering if anyone can help with a query.

My 2 babies Henry and Mia (sharpeis) have a spotty skin condition, they have both been on antibiotics for nearly 4 weeks, much to my dismay. The skin has not improved, infact Henry's has gotten worse and now he has taken to chomping on his hind legs to relieve the itch. I live in rural WA and I am sure the vets here are not properly versed in Sharpei care as they have missed this as a condition and just said it was normal.

I bath them with Malaseb up to twice a week (we have lots of red dirt here) and Im about to try resisoothe as a 'leave in conditioner'.

The vet who put them on the antibiotic was from Perth and they said it was folliculitis. It is now on their legs, where it used to be only on their backs. The spots are smaller than a centimetre but there are many now.

I am terribly worried Im may be missing something like a mite or worse, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mel

Have they had skin scrapes for mites? How old are they? What do you feed them? Also have you spoken to the breeder?

I love the names by the way - did you choose them or are they registered names?

Hi thanks for the reply. I have had the name Henry Wrinkler in my head for 10 years while I waited for the right time to get a sharpei and Mia Furrow was created by a friend, a suitable match I think! Furrow Fawcett was another name we came up with, but Mia suits Mia.

They have not been tested for mites, I am about to take them to the vet as I also have been getting a rash on and off between my fingers and through 'googling' I have discovered it may very well be mites. I thought it was just from them chomping on me as they do!

Do you think it would hurt them to bath them for mites anyway if the vet here cant decide what it is again?

I feed them LOTS ! I spoil them rotten!! They have lamb shanks a couple times a week, steamed vegies, supercoat biscuits for pups (they didnt like the eukanuba) and also protopet pet polony stuff. They will not eat canned food, cant blame them really after me giving them shanks!! They are 5 months old nearly and just the absolute joy of our lives! I cant get hold of the breeder at the moment as she is on holidays.

thanks so much :rofl:

Mel, Mia and Henry

post-14766-1169257193_thumb.jpg

I react to shar peis with a rash its the only breed i react too.

The biggest problem with Shar Pei skin issues is there diet,the breed needs to get alot of fish & there diet needs to be specific.What did the the breeder suggest diet wise??

Hi Showdog

the breeder recommended eukanuba however they dont like it. I have them on the supercoat biscuits, they eat them and apparently like them. I will try fish for them, I have given them salmon and dory before, grilled and plain and they loved it. Can you recommend a great quality fish based dog food if there is one or do you recomend they take fish oil tabs or just have fresh fish?

Hi badboyz

I have just come backfrom the vet and they tested for mites, its negative. They are now suggesting cortisone pills for a couple weeks and have told me its excema. I just want one correct diagnosis!! The vets are probably just as confused as me as the breed seems to have a comprehensive range of possible health issues! Do you have any advice for the treatment of doggie excema?

they have also told me to exclude wheat, and check if the protopet has wheat in it. I am really not keen on giving them more drugs of any kind but as a short term relief I feel i have no choice.

I would prefer to cook for them myself at this stage, at least i can keep it pure and monitor what may cause these inflammations if it is excema.

I just want my babies to be happy, comfy and healthy but between 3 vets I have been given 3 different diagnosis' for the same symptons... its hard to know what is right. Im reading every book and website i can, any advice is so very very appreciated.

I know I have alot of questions and Im grateful for anyones time to consider my queries, I originally thought I was prepared for the breed after waiting 10 yrs and reading all about them. Clearly it was the practical experience I was missing that really counts!!!

:rofl:

Mel, Mia and Henry

a product we use at work is Quit-Itch. it can be applied as a lotion or a bath (similar to Malaseb leave on 10 mins). ive seen dogs with all types of skin problems heal up with one or two baths of Quit-Itch after failing on Malaseb. i swear its magic!

take them off the supercoat. Stick to the veges, chicken, fish, and some rice. Also get rid of the red meat! See if this plainer diet will help their skin heal.

Also add a little parsley and garlic in the cooked food (i make up a huge pot of veges like carrot, broccoli, sweet potato, peas, cauli flower, rice, some salt, parsley stalks, a couple of garlic cloves) then add the chicken/fish fresh on top. You dont have to cook meat for dogs (give things like chicken carcasses, necks, wings, maryland etc for calcium and clean teeth

Red meat is inflammatory, so are some of the artificial ingredients in dry dog food.

I know Eagle Pack has a fish formula.

See if the dogs have ringworm (fungal infection)

Hi Everyone

Thanks so very much for all your advice. I am keeping them on steamed vegies (carrots/sugar snaps/beans/brocolli and cauliflour ) and also chicken until I can see an improvement.

Will keep you all informed.

Also I will get some pics on here as I have discovered most of what we have taken is them sleeping !!! (they try to eat the camera when they are awake)

Mel, Mia and Henry

Hi Everyone

Thanks so very much for all your advice. I am keeping them on steamed vegies (carrots/sugar snaps/beans/brocolli and cauliflour ) and also chicken until I can see an improvement.

Will keep you all informed.

Also I will get some pics on here as I have discovered most of what we have taken is them sleeping !!! (they try to eat the camera when they are awake)

Mel, Mia and Henry :banghead: