My Dakota Is Real Sick

Last night Dakota started vomiting, large amounts of white gooesy stuff :cheer: We called the vet but he said he could just have a stomach ache, this was the after hours vet....

My OH stayed up with him all night and he only vomited a couple of times, this morning he was really lathargic, and vomiting again so I rushed him to my vet. He is dehydrated and the vet strongly thinks of 2 possible things, 1...He has been baited :) or 2....he has a blockage in his intestines :eek: I cant see it being a blockage BUT i can't be 100 %

I feel useless and I am very worried, I will know more tonight :( :p :rofl::rofl:

please keep your fingers crossed, and because it is school holidays I have 2 childeren here at home sobbing becasue there dog is in hospital.......

Edited by samadii

Oh dear how frightening for you, keeping everything crossed, I know it's hard not to worry (I think we're all the same when something like this happens though) and stay calm which will hopefully help the kids to settle a bit, sit and talk to them about it and explain the vets will try their hardest to make sure Dakota is okay.

Please let us know how Dakota is as soon as you have any news, sending lots of hugs to you, your family and Dakota :cheer::):eek:

Keep trying to think positive thoughts and we'll all do the same with you. :(

thanks wolfgirl...

Dakota did have guite a large blockage in his intestines which did need to be operated on :laugh: He will be in hospital untill at least friday afternoon, but he is doing ok, he came out of surgery at around 2pm... so $1500 later he is going to be ok :p

One good thing is they neutered him while he was under, so only 1 general was needed.

Well yes they did and I am trying to see what I can do about it legally....

What caused the blockage was a 3.5cm ball that goes in a computer mouse, the rubber coated metal ones :laugh: Going back a few weeks maybe 4, we had a clean out of our house in which I threw a hole heap of stuff away in a hired mini skip. Our next door neighbours went through our stuff and has thrown back over our fence the balls from the old computer mice...

I thaught I had gotten them all, as I check my yard everyday because of this reason, have spoken to them before about throwing stuff over but have missed that one :p

My vet said another 24 hours and he could have died, now I just have to wave my magic wand to pay for it :p

Thanks Guys, I just feel like utter S*** that I missed it....I'm suposed to protect my dog not let him eat something like that :laugh:

I have rang up for legal advise in regards to the next door neighbours BUT as you said poodlefan I didn't see them do it therefor cant prove it, so I have no chance of recovering any vetinary costs....At least he is ok and I have to thank dog for that :p

When MY OH gets back I'll get him to put a pic up....

Edited by samadii

I know just what you are going through.

My neigbours have a loquat tree and my little Cav had two surgeries to clear a blockage caused by her eating the fruit and the loquat stones becoming stuck in her intestines.

There is nothing you can do about the neighbours because if they are anything like my neighbours they will tell you they didn't force the dog to eat the object.

Cost wise you are doing better than me too. My total vet cost was about $5000.

I hope Dakota has a swift and complete recover as my girl did. Please keep us posted.

I'm glad your girl had a quick recovery, and I'm praying the same happens for dakota :laugh: I'm not allowed to see him untill friday at the earliest, which I understand but it will be bloody hard....

I'm glad your girl had a quick recovery, and I'm praying the same happens for dakota :p I'm not allowed to see him untill friday at the earliest, which I understand but it will be bloody hard....

Vets seem to be so different in their approach to things. My vet encouraged me to come and see Dana as often as possible. I visited her three times a day whilst she was in hospital. They asked me to cook food for her and sit with her to encourage her to eat. She would eat nothing for them and she's a little guts of a dog. She would eat when I fed her the soup with chopped up chicken.

Dana went into shock after the surgery and was very sick indeed. She had to have a fair amount of her bowel removed. The vets thought that when I was there she brightened up somewhat. Maybe your boy has to be kept very quiet. He was only done today so he would be fairly much out to it and on a drip.

Sending him positive healing vibes and please keep us posted on his progress.

I think it is because he is such a happly little soul and tends to bend at his waist A LOT when he wags his tail, that they don't want him to do it to forcefully :laugh: The senior vet who admitted him to hospital is absloutly stunned by him and even told me to congratulate his breeder for him. He is just being a good boy sitting in the crate (good job he was used to it) watching the staff work :p When they leave tonight (the vet lives next door) they are going to give him a shot of pain killers so he should just sleep right through.

I remember when Hamlet had HIS obstruction removal surgery :p He was castrated then as well... I slept on the floor with him ( NO jumping or climbing) after he came home from his few days in Hospital....he thought all his Christmases had come at once :p

Instead of an elizabethan collar..I bought one of those italian plastic mesh muzzles for him.....perfect..couldn't chew stitches, of which there were LOTS...could still drink, and couldn't pick up any more rubbish for a while :p There was also the benefit of him not having any restriction of vision or head/neck movement, common with buckets/E. collars...

Fingers crossed for your boy....

May his recuperation be easy :laugh:

Hey Samadii ~ so glad he is ok. I would say the vet needs to keep him as quiet as possible for as long as possible and with a stafford that is almost IMpossible!! Seeing you would just stir him up and like you said get that body wag going LOL.

Keep us posted and give him a huge hug from his auntie Shan.

I wanna know how he swollowed a 3.5cm ball whole in the first place????? A panadol can make me gag! Amazing what the little buggas can do sometimes!!

Edited by jedash

Oh poor Dakota :( I am so sorry sweetie, I came in here as soon as I got the message :clap:

I am so glad Dakota will be alright. Give your kids a big hug from me, they would be so worried, love 'em.

They worry us sometimes. I wonder why in the world he thought that little ball would be tasty :thumbsup:

Friday isn't far away, I know how you must be feeling. You would be missing the little wiggle butt terribly :love:

Will send you a PM :)