Registration And Vet

esbo_8150

Hey. I've just got a new puppy from my aunt whos dogs bred. He's name is Akito and he is currently 7 weeks old.

When am i suppose to register him and take him to the vet for check ups? I have been giving him worm tablets and flea teatments.

Also, where do i register him and is it the same as the whole microchipping thing?

Thanks.

You should probably take him to the vet now as he will need his first vaccination.... The vet will be able to do a health check to make sure he is in good condition....

You say you have been giving him worm tablets and flea treatments... how much?

I wouldn't be so worried about fleas at this age if he doesn't have any...

He would only need one dose of worming tablets for at least the next 2-4 weeks and make sure that you are giving him the correct dose for his age as you can give them too much and they can get very sick from it....

The vet will be able to tell you what you should do...

eart worm should be treated at around 10-12 weeks with his 2nd vaccination.. then a booster vaccination at 16 weeks..

Make sure that you are feeding him puppy food and at lease 4 times a day as he is still a baby and growing...

Ask your vet what they recommend for feeding if you are not sure where to start.... Don't feed him dairy products... but natural yoghurt is very good for little puppies tummies...

Council registration is required by 3mths of age, but if your puppy is already microchipped, then you can get the discounted rate.

Your Vet can microchip your pup, and they will register the details with a microchip registry, but this is entirely separate from your Council rego. :)

Mel.

Council registration is required by 3mths of age, but if your puppy is already microchipped, then you can get the discounted rate.

Depending on what State you live in - in Queensland (well SEQ at least) it is not compulsary to Microchip and therefore no discounts are offered which is pretty sad. Ipswich City Council charge a yearly fee & only offer discounts on desexed animals.

How's this for revenue raising ...

Entire Dogs Per Annum $84 (get a discount of $14 if you pay early)

Desexed Dogs Per Annum $44 (get a discount of $14 if you pay early)

With our 6 (officially 4 live here, 2 desexed & 2 entire & 2 entire at Mums) we pay $340 PER ANNUM on Council Registrations ...

ETA: That's paying early with the discounts

When we lived in Sydney we had a once only Lifetime Council Registration fee of around $120 provided we stayed in NSW....

esbo_8150 : everything else I was going to say has more or less been covered ... Good Luck with your little one & enjoy !!

Edited by HuntinHound

How's this for revenue raising ...

Entire Dogs Per Annum $84 (get a discount of $14 if you pay early)

In NSW it's $150 for an Entire, but that is for life.. Don't other states have this 'lifetime' registration option?

edited to add: just saw you had already posted what i said HH, that will teach me for not reading properly!

Edited by Luv my White Shepherd

Registration Costs For Pine Rivers Shire - North Brisbane

First year - all dogs (from 3 months) $20.00

Second year & thereafter whole dog $60.00

Desexed dog (copy of certificate must accompany application) $20.00

Obedience Certified (basic level).

Current for two (2) years from date of course completion $20.00

Pensioner Concession : Age, Blind, Carer, Disability Support,

Sole Parent, Widow, TPI and War Related and Seniors Card.

Whole or desexed dog $20.00

Dangerous Dog inclusive of current registration. To apply also to Guard Dogs $235.00

I find these reasonable but there is no lifetime registration.

Every few years the council send staff on a doorknock to check how many dogs you have and if they are registered. They have no power to go past the front door and do not hand out fines. If they notice a dog they inform you about registration etc The ranger will return in a few months if the dog is not registered by then.

Wow HH that is some steep registration fees over there! ;)

In NSW they are supposed to be registered by 6 months - to give you time to desex and get the lower desexed rate

YUP .. we nearly died when we moved here from Sydney and found out the fees were ANNUAL :swear:

Ipswich City Council also hand out $150 fines for unregistered dogs found in your possession.

(well that was 2yrs ago - might have gone up !! Our neighbours dog got out - they've been here 20+ years, the dog is a Great Dane who is around 13 I think they said and they didn't even know about the registration fees - he'd been here that long without anyone questioning it)

Think I'll move to North Brisbane :D Every cent saved and all that !!