Collar Slipping

Lunar our rescue GSP has an amazing knack of collar slipping, she does this for a variety of reasons and it is a big problem as she has dog aggression and bolting issues and is never aloud of leash usually. She gets plenty of exercise on a horse lunge lead when out on the farm and a short lead and long walk when in town but if she gets excited or frightened when in town she can usually manage to get out of her collar.

We are working on the problem and gradually making headway, however do not feel its is responsible to take her out when we know she can get away. I have heard that greyhound collars are specifically designed for the wider neck than head type dog does anyone know if this is true? We have tried harnesses and gentle leaders and a combination of all three (resulting in a dog resembling hannibal lector) which we found to not only be unfair but also ineffective.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to type of collar to use whilst we continue to try and stop it happening?

Dust Angel, I sympathise on the head collar situation. In my classes I have found that if they are not fitted exactly (and I've mentioned this on the forum before) the bottom part of the noseband can slip and become lodged in the mouth like a horse bit, or slip off altogether. There is also some evidence that they can hurt a dog's neck if it is pulling out of control. Others will disagree here. A greyhound collar with a martingale will certainly be better but to be perfectly honest, the answer to your problems with a big strong GSP lies in a 'pinch' or 'prong' collar. HOWEVER, you need to get someone to show you how to use this correctly and fairly. If you want further info on this you will find it at K9s website, the address which escapes me. There is lots of info on the collars on this site. People either love em or hate em it seems to me but personally, I love them. You sound like you also need a bit more obedience work with the dog, which obviously you are doing from what you say. maybe a good obedience club in your area can help you. That would also be my recommendation. Good luck!

I would go for a whippet collar or a martingale (training collar) Black Dog Wear make some good ones and you could even email them and see what they recommend.

Whilst she would not be able to slip out of a prong, you need to be very careful when fitting them to aggressive dogs, most aggression is fear aggression and we don't want to be punishing fear or put her into stressful situations she would normally pull away from if she is avoiding correction from the prong collar.

It would be a good idea to consult a trainer so that they could read the situations for you and give suggestions. Perhaps you are placing her in situations (out and about) that she doesn't want to be in? You can work on this by reading her body language and managing situations for her, and using some slow desensitisation training.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Perhaps you are placing her in situations (out and about) that she doesn't want to be in? You can work on this by reading her body language and managing situations for her, and using some slow desensitisation training.

Mel.

We never walk her in areas were we are going to come across her known fear triggers (theese include lawn mowers, machinerey of any kind and any loud banging noises) she gets walked on a deserted bush track where about once a month we come across other dogs. Thats when the problems kick in, shell scream her head of at the other dog, we have tried distractions, we have tried simply walking in the other direction and a multitude of other things. The problem is she seems to be in another world, its almost as if she cant hear us or see us anymore.

We also walk her on the horse lunge at the farm and take her swimming on the lunge at the river, she always seems happy until she sees another dog. Although i know the usal way is to introduce new dogs in nuetral territory we have discovered that if a new dog is brought into the house and Lunar introduced to it in her own home there is no aggrssion shown at all. But when out and about she goes of into this other world whislt literally screaming at it. We are trying to socilise her as much as possible, but she has now met all our friends dogs so does not display this behaviour anymore. We also dont have obedience classess here for her to attend.

She was badly mistreated previous to us getting her so we have a lot of understanding of her issues and no doubt in the end we will get there with her was she has come so far already. I will look into both suggestions for collars thankyou.

I disagree totally with Staff n Toller about not using a prong collar on fear aggressive dogs. They can be highly successful with such dogs but you do need an experienced trainer to give you a lesson on how to use them correctly - and really, that goes for head collar etc too. My dog is living proof that a prong collar works for fear aggression without being harsh or 'cruel' and you won't find a happier more motivated dog nowadays :rolleyes: Prong collars are definitely not just for dominant aggressive dogs. Don't be put off by what they look like. Go to K9s website. It sounds like you need to shut some of your dog's behaviour's down with a combination of motivational stuff and also correction. However, I TOTALLY agree with Staff n Toller that a good trainer will be able to help you out. Actually, far more than any training tool such as prong or head collar. Go that way and ask the trainer to help find the right training tool (collar) for you. Don't suffer being unable to take your dog out in public or not being able to put her in certain situations. It makes life a lot less fun for you and the dog.

Lunar our rescue GSP has an amazing knack of collar slipping .........

Ummm .... just wanting to clarify. From what I can read, posters have responded on the assumption you are talking about "head collars" here. Are you? Or are you suggesting your dog is slipping normal flat collar?

In any event, I'd recommend you engage the services of a trainer/behaviourist to sort through the dog aggro issues.

As far as collar is concerned, have you tried a martingale if "collar slipping" is your primary concern and if you think you can manage to control her in one.

I'd probably venture to consider a prong but this would depend on the dog when I had the chance to observe it. If control is a problem, a prong is certainly helpful, useful and effective. Just because the dog wears the prong doesn't mean you have to activate it or activate it strongly. But it is there should it be required. However, like any piece of equipment (including head collars) you should know how to properly fit it and use it and in this case it sounds as though you and your dog need a program to work through the current aggro issues.

I assumed the OP was talking about a regular flat collar Erny. :)

So did I and so I was going to post that if the collar was slipping (I presume the OP means "off") will directly correlate with how firm it is and that whether it is a wider greyhound collar or not would otherwise not make any difference. Just not sure if I'm understanding correctly. :rolleyes:

I was talking about just a regular flat collar she is slipping, i also have tried a full body harness and a gentle leader (head collar) the dog we are talking about is an escape artist. She lived a very abused, starved, caged, shelterless dismal life. Apart from the dog aggression and escape/bolting issues we have solved all her other problems. Sienna my GSP Ive had since a puppy has been a god send in setting a good example of behaviour for her to follow basically, Sienna has taught Lunar how to be a dog. In the house she is relaxed comfortable and well behaved its the outside world we are slowly tackling at the moment.

Id love to be able to consult a trainer however there are none in this area that i would feel comfortable paying good money to help me (not that im aware of), this is still very much a beat your dog into submission area with the majority of k9's in the area being farm bred working dogs.

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions, i appreciate all the info.

I was talking about just a regular flat collar she is slipping ....

Being a GSP it shouldn't be difficult to notch the collar up firmly enough so that it cannot slip beyond her ears (either one singularly) without her choking. That will at least assure safety from escape doesn't really help with the aggro issue. If you use a head collar, use a "fail safe" device as well. This is a short lead that attaches the lead to the flat collar. It does not interfere with the use of the lead to the head collar .......... unless the head collar fails. This will at least give you a back-up option.

Although the aggro issue isn't really what you posted about, given that you're in NSW a special trip to visit Steve at K9 Force would I expect be worth your while, if you are needing to seek help in that respect. :)

Good on you for taking in a dog and helping it rehabilitate to a happier life. :rofl: :rolleyes:

Edited by Erny

Thanks erny, but the collar that we take her out with at the moement you can barley fit a finger underneath and she can still slip it! Unbelieveable escape girl i tells ya :rolleyes: i am looking at professinal help with the dog aggression though, and i have no doubt well get there in the end shes is a far cry from the dog we found now! We do use a collar on her when using the head collar we always try and have a back up on her at all times.

I am looking into a few of the options suggested i like the look of the collars on the black dog website in particular.

I would try a martingale collar on her, although I have even seen a determined dog slip one. It probably isn't necessary to get a sighthound specific martingale, but I quite like the blackdog sighthound collar that Staff'n'Toller posted a link to. The purple is quite nice on GSPs :rolleyes:

SightHoundCollar.gif

My Whippet always wears a martingale or limited slip sighthound collar. He managed to slip out of a flat collar while on a walk along a busy street, that was the last time he wore a flat collar.

Edited by FHR

I agree with Erny, a trip to K9 would totally be worth it from where you are. I think someone else mentioned it but Black Dog have a back up in case your dog slips a head halter. It would NOT be my preference though cos I think you need to get a prof trainer to help you decide what is needed for your dog and get control thru training. I sympathise with the travel thing, living in the country myself. But, hey, at least you're in the same state as K9 LOL :rofl: Good luck, what a lucky dog she is to have someone take her in when she is such an escape artist and give her a good home.

I have some of the sighthound collars pictured above. I LOVE them! I don't have collar slipping problems but the I can see how they would help. I don't think I'd ever use a flat collar again after having the sighthound ones. I just think they are much more comfortable for the dogs. Mine tend to pull at agility & I encourage this, so I like/need a collar that is not going to damage their neck.

I was wondering if you have just tried putting a second collar on her??

If you clip your lead to the back collar she should not be able to slip it off because it gets caught on the front collar.

My mum had a kelpie that had a thicker neck than her head and when ever she went to tie the kelpie up it would just pull back and slip the collar up, but since putting the second collar on, it has solved the problem.

It might be worth a try?

Wiz

Dust Angel,one remedy is to Put a Strap around your Dogs Girth which is just behind the Front Legs.This Strap go"s right around the Dog and is done up.Midway down the Side of this Girth Strap you have two Smaller Straps one each side,running up and attatching to the Collar.

When the Dog trys to slip the Collar, it will pull the Strap around its Girth up against the back of the Front Legs.The Front Legs then become a Barrier to the Collar coming off. Tony

Like Wally2020 said.

I have also found if you loop the 2nd collar through the 1st one before doing it up, it acts as a bit of a back up. It is very hard to pull the 2nd collar off as the 1st one is mobile and they can't get the pull on it. (If you can understand what I mean)

Our friends farm dogs that are inclined to slip collars are secured in this manner and haven't had any other problems.

This also means she can run around on the lead and it won't hurt her if she hits the end of it like a pinch collar would as you are trying to allow the exercise thing as well.