Don't Shoot The Dog!

AussieDog

They are both Heeler X's. We have tried the restricted access while we are home, but both of them jump straight over the gates. We have used both the kids ones and a dog pen - both of which are up to 1m in height - both dogs can get over.

Do you have more than one gate? If so, have you tried stacking one gate one top of the other to make it taller so the pups, hopefully, won't be able to get over them? Otherwise, they do make gates that are taller than most normal baby/pet gates. Not sure if you have these gates over in OZ but, for example, this company sells a 4ft. tall mesh gate http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...=2001&Nty=1

Edited by JD19

Thanks for all the advice.

I've read so many posts about the wonders of crating, and although i have nothing against them for short periods of time, i just don't know if my dogs have the ability to sit still for more than 30mins. I'm heading down to PetStock this morning so i'll see how much they are (as i'd have to buy two).

I was just thinking do you think it could be i'm feeding them too much "energy" food? They are on Eagle Pack Holistic in the mornings with a dollop of yoghurt, and at night they have a meaty bone (ie lamb shank or osso beef) plus some mince or beef steak or chicken or whatever else i found on special.

I mentioned they are exercised regularly - probably too much by some peoples standards in here. I've read so many posts recommending pups be exercised as little as possible due to growing joints - which i fully agree on, but if these dogs don't get to run around KCC park every second day than they go even more feral. The other weekend they both ran the Lure course twice (just once around each time though) and even then when i got home they went crazy in the backyard.

The older one isn't quite so bad, he's been to puppy school etc. This weekend the younger one goes too - she doesn't stop barking around other dogs - we will probably get expelled. :rolleyes:

No blankets found (yet) but the other day i did find a coloured pencil in there poo.

Jensta, usually its more important to stimulate puppies mentally rather than physically- especially with the breed you have. By running them, you make them fitter so they can run for longer (I know, i have 3) Are you doing any training with them?

As far as them chewing everything, i differ from some others in that i would set the puppies up (seperately if possible) and show them that common things like books, shoes etc are not for them to touch. You need to be prepared to do this and administer an appropriate correction the moment the dog goes to pick up the undersirable object. ( i don't know the dogs so don't know what an appropriate correction may be, it may be as little as a loud disruptive noise) Then, at least 30 seconds later give them a toy to chew on.

Its one thing to puppy proof a home, but you also need to make sure the pups understand that not every single thing is theirs as it is inevitable that something will be left lying around at some point.

:rofl: Ironic, isn't it. When Chazer was a pup I borrowed a book from the VCA library, about natural health care and feeding. Chazer ate the corner of the book. When I told the librarian she laughed at the irony of it all. Anyway, I replaced it with a brand new version of the same book.

I suggest you go to to the bookshop and get a copy of Marley & Me by John Grogan. You will get a great laugh, if the dog doesn't eat it first