How To Stop Him Humping?

Most know that Darcy is a cronic humper, he will hump any and all dogs regardless of how many times and how severly they tell him off. Lately he has been harrassing Nova something terrible and Nova will snap and pin him but he still does it.

Apart from being extremely rude dog behaviour it is terribly embarrassing and annoying that i cant take him any where off lead with other dogs or on lead for that matter he still tries it.

Its the first thing he does when meeting new dogs and if its female he will sniff then "chatter" his teeth and start frothing at the mouth :cry:

Darcy is entire and 2 years old, and he has been doing this for ages. If i growl at him he will stop but then try again if im not watching.

Its driving me up the wall, i didnt have this problem with Nova lol

So apart from avoiding other dogs all together, how can i stop him? Ohh and getting him desexed isnt an option. :(

Satisfaction comes in many forms.

Having three entire males (including a bitch who humps despite being speyed a few months ago) in my household, is interesting, to say the least!!!

The boys ignore a bitch in full season, when working.

Sorry Mel didnt see your post, it has suddenly appeared for me :)

I might try the list and see what they say as well, its just getting very frustrating i can correct him either physically or verbally but like a second later he just tries again.

If I have to take my entire male dingoes out I put a small dab of vicks under their nose (not too much or it burns), learnt that trick when I was a stallion handler, works a treat.

Have you thought about getting him the male contraceptive implant???

I might try that, cant hurt too try the vicks thing. Does that just mean he cant smell anything apart from the vicks? He may just do it anyway regardless as its probably a learnt behaviour now, but like i said i will try.

I am very reluctant to get the implant, at the moment there doesnt seem too be any evidence that a dog that has had it done has gone on too be a fertile stud dog. I guess thats just because it is still fairly new here.

Mine have had it (the implant) and produced pups the next year, its quite safe. The vicks stops them focusing on the scent so you have that issue out of the way in order to combat the established behaviour. This is a tricky one to solve but hang in there, it can be done.

Is there any articles on it anywhere?

I still dont feel comfortable about doing it and it will only be a temporary change of behaviour, there is a very high possibility of him continuing to do it once all the hormones come back again.

That would be great Mel if i could.

Edited by tollersowned

LOL i know thats why i want to get him over doing this now. He needs too learn manners.

Him doing it is all my fault though as when i raised him, i didnt punish him for trying it as i got told not too correct a dog and ban him from doing it if you want too use that dog as a stud dog. :)

Yeh, thats true, to a point, I like to teach them a command that lets them know its ok for "luvin" ( same as I used to when dealing with 17hh thoroughbred stallions) Similar how we teach our dogs a word that means its ok to eat. Will post some more in the morn, need to go administer some firt aid (bourbon!) to myself, think I just broke my big toe when outside feeding up :)

Sarah

Don't know if anyone has suggested this yet. But when he goes to mount, why not give a loud NRM then immediately collect him for a brief time out?

Once he learns that mounting means he loses the chance to play with other dogs, he might be less likely to do it. You'll probably need to start in fairly low key environments (e.g only one other dog) so that you can get his attention while he's playing.

It's just a thought - I haven't done this myself. Have done something similar with my SBT and the cats though (putting your mouth on the kitty earns a time out) and it worked fine.