Bones Etc

R00

My puppy had chicken necks since 9 weeks, and later introduce chicken wings.

She will eat both the meat and the bones. It amazed me after I gave her the chicken wings, there is no bones left. She is only a toy size breed (Bichon)

cool thanks, I was just checking (after the fact) as I gave Erik (11 weeks, Staffy) a raw chicken drumstick he just smashed it. He couldn't get enough of it.

Great! They do enjoy them. Just have to make sure, especially with staffies that they don't gulp them and choke which is why they should always be supervised.

cool thanks, I was just checking (after the fact) as I gave Erik (11 weeks, Staffy) a raw chicken drumstick he just smashed it. He couldn't get enough of it.

Hey Roo,

I was about to do exactly the same - ask the question after the fact! Cayenne is outside getting as much of a brisket bone as she can! (i think the butcher cut these up thinking I have a rotty or something!) she's loving it, but keeps wanting to bring it inside...

:rofl: I have to admit I was a little taken back by just how fast Erik tried to gobble the whole thing. I have had labs that didn't hoover a bone that quick.

I made him give it back to me for a minute while he got his breath back. Then he slowed a little bit. :)

Red Stafford: how is Cayenne going? Erik is funny he is more than happy to be outside and will play on his own if we are not home. ( we watch him from our neighbours balcony) but if we are home all he wants to do is hang out with me and my OH. He is such a lovely dog, I am suspect his sister is as well.

Which part of Sydney are you in?

King has been given brisket bones since he was 8 weeks old, he will be 15 weeks old on monday and he just loves them. I gave him one this morning as i was walking out the door to leave for work and he was finished it before i finished setting the alarm and locking the door.

I dont give any chicken bits as i was told not to by the breeder.

Our Staffy crosses love, love, love lamb shanks, one of the best teething aids I have ever known...

thats funny, the staffy cross i grew up with had a shank everyday... nowdays i enjoy them too much to give em to the dogs!!

Roo, I sent you a PM... Cayenne is going great... I can't wait for her to get the whole toilet thing though, sure am sick of cleaning up wee!! it looks as though she consumed a few stones yesterday while eating her brisket so she's been a bit off colour today a couple of vomits but looks to be all good now... it'll be interesting to compare notes between brother and sister thats for sure... how is erik going with the toilet thing!!

My puppies start getting bones from the time they are first weaned. At first it is just the wingtips and crushed necks, but they soon learn to crunch them up. As they get older, they are then given full wings and necks (although the piglets still have them crushed) and by around 8 - 10 weeks, they are MORE than capable of managing a full chicken frame and do so with great enjoyment and more than a little noise!!

NEVER, EVER, EVER should bones be fed cooked!!!!!!!!!!

That is cardinal rule number ONE!!!

Raw bones splinter and can cause terrible damage internally. And if you are lucky enough that they don't, they have very little nutritional value and it is pointless feeding them.

Our Staffy crosses love, love, love lamb shanks, one of the best teething aids I have ever known...

thats funny, the staffy cross i grew up with had a shank everyday... nowdays i enjoy them too much to give em to the dogs!!

Roo, I sent you a PM... Cayenne is going great... I can't wait for her to get the whole toilet thing though, sure am sick of cleaning up wee!! it looks as though she consumed a few stones yesterday while eating her brisket so she's been a bit off colour today a couple of vomits but looks to be all good now... it'll be interesting to compare notes between brother and sister thats for sure... how is erik going with the toilet thing!!

The problem child (staffy/bully/Cattle x) is now finishing off the bone that the Kelpie/Amstaff polished all day, she is teething as we speal while the latter just had a fang removed and is in recovery.

never fed them necks of eithe lamb or chicken, concerned about the small bone factor... should I be concerned?

Kamuz,

Thats why I have asked the question.... Done the searches and still not happy...

Im tend to run with dogs the same line with small kids, if it can block then windpipe then it is too small.. I cant x-ray every bone, but I do know the size of bones in shanks...

Edited by Doghouse

Hi,

I am new to dol

I have another question about bones.

I have a 7 month old border collie and have tried him on chicken necks the last couple of days but he throws up the following day. He has never had them before. My question is will he ever get used to them or did I start him on them too late???

Is there another sort of bone that would be better and maybe not upset his stomach?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tara

Hi Tara,

Ask a butcher for some brisket bone... these will give your border collie something much better to chew on than chicken necks... see how that goes...

Our older dog has a bit of a sensitive stomach... as a rule chicken and beef are ok for her... Lamb is a no go though... Trial and error is all it takes to work out what is ok for the particular dog and what is not...

Hope that helps....

EFS

Edited by RedStafford