Toilet Training Disaster

Zelahi

My OH and I have been despretly trying to get our 12 week old puppy Charlie to do his buisness outside for 3 weeks now and are getting no where. We take him outside after every play, drink, sleep, eat but nothing works. We pop him on the lead and slowly walk around the yard saying our keyword "hurry up" but he just holds it in until he comes inside again. Last night we fed him then took him outside for an hour and a half on the lead but he didnt do anything them frustrated as we needed to go to bed we let him back in and as soon as we did he just rang behind the couch and did it there.. does anyone have any suggestions about what we can do?..we are at our wits end.

Thanks in advance,

Erin

Puppies take longer than dogs. I foster for rescue groups and have trained dogs under 1 year to 10 years old - about 45 of them in the last 4 years. The youngest dog took me 2 months but she had been abused. Most of them took 3 days but they were adults.

Your poor little fellow just isn't getting it obviously but I recommend trying the following method, you have already allocated a name to it and you both need to say exactly the same word(s).

This method uses kindness and reward. My last dog was one I rescued aged 8 that the lady had tried to housetrain for 6 months (she was the 3rd owner in the dog's life) with no success. She was doing similar things to you and just couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. I took the dog home and she was housetrained within 4 days using this method.

As I work, I find it easier to concentrate on this starting on a Saturday morning, all day Sunday and then most of them have it on Monday for when I go back to work!!

One important thing is that the dog can easily access outside when he/she needs to go so you will either need a doggie door or a door left open. Puppies cannot control themselves as adult dogs can and will need to go as soon as they think of it so need to get outside asap.

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

only thing i can think of is giving him more time outside, yes i know very time consuming but they have to go eventually!

Are you crating him? puppies dont usually pee where they sleep makes it easier to make him go when you want....

Has he ever been told off harshly (i understand this is a trying time, we all lose it now and again!) for going in the house? only thought he may be hiding it from you as he gets in trouble when he gets caught so now wont go infront of you? Some dogs are just super sensitive and a few harsh words and they get scared :shrug:

another thing you could try is keeping him onlead when you come back inside as soon as he looks like he might go quickly run him out the door - they automatically seem to stop peeing while in flight :rofl:!! then lots of praise.

<We pop him on the lead and slowly walk around the yard saying our keyword "hurry up" but he just holds it in until he comes inside again. >

Hi Erin, At this stage 'hurry up' doesn't mean anything to him. Wait till he does something and then use the phrase and lots of treats and praise. He will get it eventually. Some pups take a bit longer than others.

Thanks guys. I dont growl at him but i think my partner growls at him when im not around which probably doesnt help. He isnt as patient as i am.Sometimes he does wees in front or us sometimes he hides it. Im not sure what crating is so im pretty sure im not doing it :shrug:.

We do give him treats and say "good boy" when he does it outside but nothing has come of it yet. I guess its just more trial and error until he gets it right.

Yep, take him OFF the lead. Let him wander around sniff and decide for himself where he wants to go.

I assume you have a secure back yard? If not, then take him out on a long line. He needs to stop focussing on you and start focussing on going to the loo. :shrug:

OK - you cannot get impatient with the pup - the words Hurry Up will now probably be frightening to him so can I recommend you change to something different that he cannot associate with your partner getting impatient or growling etc at him.

You haven't answered my question on access to get out when he needs to go - that is so important.

Finally, don't just say "good boy", again that probably doesn't mean a lot to him. You need to show him what you think of him when he is good - reward him IMMEDIATELY he goes with treats and simultaneous patting and affection, repeat good boy several times in a fairly high pitched tone as that is what they understand.

I went to dog training with my 6 year old boy and was told time and again that I was not demonstrative enough with him and I really had to show him with high pitched tones and patting etc that I was pleased!! It works!

We always have the laundry door open so he can come and go as he pleases but he never goes outside on his own he is always following me around the house and wont go outside unless im out here. I try without the lead on him ( i was just doing what dogs life said to do with toilet training ). I do praise him with rewards and cuddles but maybe i need to do more.

Erin:

I guess wtih your first pup you just expect them to be perfect because when your cuddle them on the couch and they look into your eyes thats how they feel.

Then you get the reality check of your life. :shrug:

If he's starting to hide when he goes inside, my guess is your OH is undermining your efforts with the growling. If you can't supervise him closely you need to have him contained.

EVERY TIME he gets up from rest, take him outside. Ditto when he wakes, eats, drinks, plays etc. If he ain't gone in 10 minutes take him back outside and watch him like a hawk.

Some dogs take longer than others. My vet once said for every accident they do in the house, expect five more. You absolutely positively have to watch him or keep him contained.

What are the arrangements for during the day/when you aren't there?

You can't really expect complete bladder and bowel control before 5 months. In the meantime, its up to you to get him outside. He has gone outside, return him to that spot and just sit quietly... let him wander around.

Edited by poodlefan

We were told by the vet that every time we find a poo in the house to take it outside to the same spot and next time we want to him to go outside to poo we should walk him to that spot and in no time he should learn to go there. do you think that would work?

-edited coz i felt like i needed to make it more clear

Edited by Erin

Erin.

We were told by the vet that every time we find a poo in the house to take it outside to the same spot and next time we want to him to go outside walk him to ththat spot and in no time he should learn to go there. do you think that would work?

I think it will help. :shrug:

I agree, I think it will help and really praise him when he goes outside. One of the keys to success with my method - particularly because I take abused dogs who cannot cope with harsh words, similar to puppies - is that you say NOTHING if the pup has or has had an accident in the house, no matter whether it's in front of you of something that happened before.

The pup will thrive on your praise and dogs live to please their owners generally so will soon learn that he gets NOTHING from you when he goes indoors.

I am currently in the middle of toilet training a 11 week old, he is slowly getting it. But sometimes he just forgets, he has been known to just look at me and start weeing. Just remember to chill out, it is only wee and can be washed out. At the end of the day it is only carpet, your dog is going to be your best mate for years.

I take him to work with me and sometimes he will pee right in front on me while I am in the middle of something that I can't stop, so I just ignore him, don't give him even the slightest bit of attention. And when he takes himself outside I give him praise bigger then Ben Hur.

While he stills forgets (he is only young), he is getting it so patience is the go.

On a side note they say if you do absolutely nothing with your dog in regards to toilet training they get it at max 12 months. So you will def get it before then :shrug:

We always have the laundry door open so he can come and go as he pleases but he never goes outside on his own he is always following me around the house

Bingo- that can be half the problem, there is no distinction between what is and what isn't a toiletting area. It is quite normal that he won't take himself out there yet- but shut the door for now, make toilet time a ritual and he will be more likely to take the initiative himself later on. Once he is trained you'll be able to leave the door open and send him out using the cue word that you have taught. :)

As the others have said let him off the lead, and be a tree whilst you're out there, don't talk to him too much or engage in games.

If he follows you around then the best thing to do is buy a double ended leash and attach it around your waist then back to him- umbilical cord- and block off carpeted areas for now, close bedroom doors, anywhere where he can go when you're not watching him, and looking for his signs.

BTW he won't need to go straight after a meal- more like 15mins to half an hour later. :laugh:

Mel.