Andoria

Vickie

My dog has always been a biter he is an ACD he likes to bite all the time.

I am very concerned about this statement. I don't believe his breed is a reason or an excuse for his biting and I am worried about your implied acceptance of this.

I know you have had a bad experience with a trainer, but I hope you also understand that some action needs to be taken if the above is true.

Can I suggest a couple of books for you? Culture Clash, Jean Donaldson & The Other End of the Leash, Patricia McConnell.

I offer this with genuine intentions. If you are unable to find/buy them, I am happy to lend you my copies.

They will not fix the issue but they are very good insights into why dogs do what they do. Obviously your best option is to get some qualified & reputable professional help, but the books may be a start.

Vickie

Don't worry about it. I will PM it. Obviously you disagree with my advice & consider it completely useless to any other person who may read it.

I will have this topic deleted. Thank you both for respecting my wishes & being so constructive in what I consider to be a VERY serious issue.

Vickie, that is certainly not what i think. However i do feel that Andoria has been given similar advice a number of times in the public forum which has remained unheeded. My thoughts are simply that a private message may be more effective in dealing with the issue/ getting Andoria's attention.

As Cosmolo said and also because you have posted what could potentially become a sensitive topic and it would prevent people making the kind of responses you don't want.

The forum is for public discussion but it doesn't sound like that's what you wan this topic to be i.e you haven't asked any questions or anything leading into discussion.

But post away, I don't care I was genuinely curious :rofl:

ETA: I've just read your reply above, I definately don't disagree with your comments, nor do I think they would be of no benefit to others.

Edited by haven

Vickie I was also alarmed by the 'My dog has always been a biter' statement and I think that your suggestion that Andoria purchase those books is a good one. I just hope that she follows your recommendations because she's never taken any notice of the advice offered to her in previous topics regarding this dog.

I gather from her posts that it's not only Andoria who has to be convinced, but her OH as well.

I am constantly surprised by the number of people who accept that their dogs bite or try to bite them. It doesn't matter what the breed, I don't think it is acceptible & I think sometimes people literally have to be told this to believe it. It doesn't matter whether it is a frustrated nip in agility or a bite requiring stitches or worse. The last thing any breed needs right now is blanket statements about biting & I think I was right to address this publicly.

I am sure there are more relevant books than the 2 I have posted, they are just 2 that I have, but they certainly address the issue and I belive there are others who could benefit from reading them. I am also sure that some of the people who have posted unconstructively in this thread could suggest those more releveant books.

I guess my request that people be constructive was idealistic. It is so unfortunate that DOL has lost so many people who could and should have been helped. I think everyone deserves a clean slate. I can think of a number of people who started on DOL in a very similar way to Andoria. They are now liked & respected members of this community & I believe she deserves the same opportunity. Some people communicate poorly, but since she did join the forum, I believe she will be open to help if people are prepared to be constructive.

I think it's appropriate to stay ... the statement that dogs can like biting based on breed is a problematic one (thinking BSL here) and IMO good to address it for those that read that original statement, and what to do with misunderstanding of how dogs think/act.

Edited by sidoney

Another excellet book, bigger and more expensive but with more infomation specifc to dealing with this kind of thing is "Aggression in Dogs" by Brenda Aloff. It goes through how to identify and deal with various types of aggressive behaviour and is written in simple enough language that people without prior training and education in canine psychology can easily understand it.

Costs around $100 but well worth a place on any dog trainer's shelf IMO

I guess my request that people be constructive was idealistic.

I don't really think that at all. In fact I would say that the training forum is probably the best for constructive advice and discussion rather than flaming and trolling.

Another excellet book, bigger and more expensive but with more infomation specifc to dealing with this kind of thing is "Aggression in Dogs" by Brenda Aloff. It goes through how to identify and deal with various types of aggressive behaviour and is written in simple enough language that people without prior training and education in canine psychology can easily understand it.

Costs around $100 but well worth a place on any dog trainer's shelf IMO

:rofl: Thanks Haven, I have not heard of that one.

IMHO I think the topic should stay. Andoria, the single greatest piece of advice I can think to give you is to go see K9 Force. Books, great suggestions and will help empower you to help the dog you love but no disrespect to any other trainer, but K9 Force would be the person to help you. I think most on DOL would agree with this :rofl:

Certainly a behaviourist with experience in aggression is the way to go.

A book I have that has some good non confrontational ways of dealing with aggression and small, easy to accomplish steps is Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog by Emma Parsons. It does have section on human aggression, I have mainly read the section on dog aggression though as that is the problem I have.

As everyone here (and on other threads) has advised, a behaviourist more suited to your dog's temperament and issues would stand you in good stead and, also like others and also previously suggested, one who is professional and reputable and known for his experience in relation to aggression issues. Also as others have suggested, I would have no hesitation in recommending K9 Force.

Andoria ...... given the suggestions that have been made to assist you, may I ask what it is that you now plan to do for your dog?