My Beautiful Lassie

Tornado

In May 1994, I purchased a beautiful collie puppy. Yes, I called her Lassie, okay??? Give me a break, it was a childhood dream!!! :D

I had always wanted a collie named Lassie since I had loved the TV show as a child. She was the culmination of a lifelong dream and was a beautiful, if neurotic girl. When you arrived home, it didn't matter whether you'd been gone for days or ten minutes, she welcomed you as though you were the light of her life and the world had not been tolerable during your absence. She was very intelligent and understood a great deal. When I got married, it was agreed that she would remain living with my parents (where I had lived up till that time - my husband and I were getting a unit). I was worried that she wouldn't understand, but she seemed to. I came to walk and brush her at least three times a week, with the whole family (hubby included) spending Sunday afternoon together. When we left, she would stand and watch as the car pulled out, and wait there until it had started down the street. Then she would trot back inside.

A couple of years ago she started losing a little weight. It didn't trouble me or the vet too much - she was still so happy and active - there didn't seem to be anything wrong. After one of her annual visits to the vet they were a bit concerned and a few weeks later she came down with what they called 'a virus'. But she recovered from that really well, and I thought that was the end of it.

In the heat of our Brisbane summer, which was bad this year, she stopped eating. She still seemed lively and was willing to play, although not so keen on her walk anymore. I thought it might be the heat or her arthritis kicking up again, so I took her back to the vet. They gave her an ultrasound, and found that her liver was full of cancer. I had her put down straight away, and at least was able to hold her and stroke her while they put her to sleep.

She never really seemed sick. Even on the morning she died, she had picked up one of her favourite toys and wanted to play. It just seemed so impossible that it was something so serious.

She died on 2nd March, and would have turned ten on 5th April.

I'm going to try and put her picture below. It's only a black and white, but it was one of the last pictures taken of her.

Anyone who has lost their dog has my greatest sympathies...

post-19-1083620325.jpg

:D your lovely post brought me to tears, I'm so sad for your Lassie, you made an unselfish choice and let her go before she suffered. I hope one day you have another dog to fill your heart.

Lassie's photo is beautiful, a very regal girl.

I have Irish wolfhounds, they are not a long lived breed, so I know the pain of losing a hearthound.

hugs from fifi & wolfies

I think you were great in thinking about Lassie's feelings and not your own and deciding to put her down before she really started to suffer. I have heard of people putting their animals through chemotherapy!!! Makes them very sick. I have a breed that is prone to cancer. If he gets cancer I hope I can be as brave as you were and put him down before he suffers.

Dear Tornado,

I understand your childhood dream. I had wanted a golden cocker spaniel since I was about twelve and waited another twelve years to get one - as soon as I had a home of my own - two weeks after we came back from our honeymoon.

It is heartbreaking to have to say goodbye to a special member of your family in this way, but your love for Lassie has helped you to help her. She will not suffer in agony, still trying to show her love for you even as her body wastes away before your eyes.

In your memories of her she is beautiful and happy. Let her stay that way.

She loved you until the end and waits for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks Wendy. A friend of mine sent me rainbow bridge a few days after Lassie died...and I bawled my eyes out!!! Another friend gave me a poem about a dog grateful its owner had the strength to put it down instead of letting it suffer, and I didn't do much better with that, either!!!