365 Days

eclecticgirl

Before I start to write this I beg your forgiveness for my self indulgence, this is going to be a long post. I apologizse if i make spelling mistakes or parts dont make sence but I know if i re-read it I will not post it, but I really need to do this........ I would really like to tell the world about my beautiful gentle giant. I know everyone has stories about theri dog....

His name was TAHI. We are NZ's and that is the Maori word for the "number one."

365 long days ago we gave my beautiful Greyhound his wings. He was a huge dog, everyone that met him laughed and said he was a small horse. He lived to the grand old age of 16 which is amazing for a Grey.

I got him from Lort Smith hospital, there was a litter of 12 that had been dumped. The minute I saw him, and he saw me that was it. I picked him up and he put his long gangly legs around my neck and wouldnt let go. We hadnt gone ther intending to get another dog. My husband said no, it ended up in a huge brawl. I cried, ranted and raved and got him anyway.

If a dog can be perfect he was. I think back and he really wasnt a normal puppy, no chewing, barking, naughty things that puppys can do. There was no training, I showed him once what to do and he would do it, no fuss, just did it. From the beginning he and I had a special bond, people would be blown away when they saw the things he did. I didnt need words, i always joked that we had ESP, but really I wasnt joking, we did.

He was the grocery keeper. I would bring the groceries in from the car, while I was out getting the next lot he was guarding it, he wouldnt let the 2 cats or other little dog go near them. If he couldnt have them, they certainly wasnt either. He would push them away with his nose, like a sheepdog protecting his flock. He would get scratched but he was the grocery keeper and that was that!!

When my son was at high scholl he had a friend that lived on a farm, this boy used to come to our house on a morning, let himself in and sit in the lounge till we got up. One day he was hungry and made himself some toast, Tahi followed him into the kitchen and watched, then he stated to bark until Anthony gave him some toast. From that day on when Anthony came in he had to make Tahi toast, or he would blackmail him by barking...

When my daughter was a teenager she went through a rebellious period. One night she opened her bedroom window and climbed out, went to meet friends. Tahi came into the bedroom and woke me up, I could see he was upset and agitated, when I got up he took me straight to her romm to show me that she had jumped through the window.. he was agitated until she came home, she tried to climb through the window. He was sat in her room and as soon ash she put her head through the window he started yapping at her. She tried to tell him to be quiet but he was really "pissed off" with her. Of course I was sitting in the lounge with the light off waiting....

Another night he ran ito the bedroom and jumped on me quite roughly, when I woke up I could smell smoke, we had a fire in the house and hadnt woken up, he may have saved our lives.

My husband was on night shift, at 2am there was a knock on the door, it was a strange bloke, he said he wanted to come in. Of course I told him to get out, but he started walking around the outside of the house, at first Tahi was on guard but not too bad, the bloke started to knock again, my beautiful gentle Greyhound turned into a snarling, frothing, DOG. He would not be calmed, I put his lead on and opened the door. He lunged at the man, luckily the bloke jumped back. He then satrted to run out of the gate, Tahi broke his lead and chased him. As soon as Tahi got to the driveway he stopped, I think the bloke is still running. I had never seen him like that before, and I never saw him like that again ever. To this day I didnt know what the bloke wanted, but I think we were lucky as he had a knife in his hand, I saw it as he was running away.

The little boy next door came through the gate one day and was calling me in the back yard, Tahi was out with me. I started to walk to the boy , I could see something in his hand, so did Tahi. It was a rabbit, Tahi took off running towards him, I was shouting to go back out of the gate. My boy was gentle, but I thought a rabbit was just too much temptation even for a gentle Greyhound. Tahi grabbed it out of his hands, i was screaming at him, and slowly walked to the verandah, where he proceeded to gently put the rabbit down and then started to lick and clean it......he loved it, he was besotted with it.

He never showed any signs of pain or discomfort, was still eating up until 2 days before he died. I got up one Sunday morning and he satyed in bed, which was unusual. I called him and he walked slowly out, I could see he was not well. He was quiet all day Sunday, didnt want dinner. Early Monday morning he was worse, I took him to the vet and they did a barrage of tests and blood tests. They lifted his lip and his gums were pure white, my heart sank. Of course I was in a state. He was so thirsty, just kept drinking and drinking. The vet said that it didnt look good. Monday night I slept on the floor with him, he was restless. I must have fallen asleep,when i woke I was shocked to see his stomach was so bloated. I waited for the vet to ring with the results, the courier was late. It was luch time by the time the results were back. It was the worst possible result. The results showed he had a tumour and it was bleeding. Tahi was outside on his dogbed, I walked out and saw his face coverd in flies. His pet hate in life was flies and here they were walking all over his face and he didnt care. I looked at his eyes and they were so dull. It was true my darling darling boy was dying...I knew what we had to do. I rang the vet and told them we were on our way.

I committed the worst act of cowardess and betrayal in my life that I have ever done, when he needed me most I wasnt there. I did not go, my husband and daughter took him down. I couldnt go...I would have been utterly hysterical and inconsolable, Im sure I would have started screaming. I certainly not proud of myself, in fact I am utterly ashamed of myself. I will carry that to my grave...

I put his lead on him, as he was walking through the gate he stopped, turned around and looked at me. That moment is in my head forever like a recording, he knew what awaited him but you know what, he forgave me. He would forgive his mamma anything. My husband said that he just laid down at the vets and looked up into his eyes, he had resigned hiimself......

So to you my darling sweetest kindest boy I ask once more for your forgiveness......and to tell you that there is not a day I dont think about about you and if there is any way we will be together again one day mamma will make it happen. You were my soulmate and my best friend....my life is so much t richer for knowing you.....

Goodbye my darling it is time for mamma to let you go.....I will love you till my dying day

I can only just see the screen while typing through my tears. :D

Tahi was obviously a very, very special friend to you, and it shows. I am sure he forgave you long ago, and is waiting at the bridge for you to meet again - and he is pain free.

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story :mad

RIP Tahi, until you and your mamma meet again :thumbsup:

Thank you for your caring thoughts it is much appreciated. :laugh:

I have just re-read it and it is a little embarassing, certainly not used to pouring out my emotions on a public forum. Just really had to do that yesterday helped me cope with a very hard day........

I can't find the words as tears are streaming down my face. :rofl:

What a special bond you both had. A bond that will always be treasured and remembered.

I'm sorry for your loss and know that one day as you head towards the rainbow bridge, Tahi will be waiting for you with tail wagging.

Rest in peace sweet Tahi :laugh: