No Signs

Mak

Well,

I have been watching Charlie like a hawk since he got here. I see that most dogs sniff around, go in circles when they are about to do their business. My Charlie just walks and does it as he goes as if nothing is happening! He just walks and lets it go. When he is going and I quickly try and pick him up and put him to the correct spot he stops and has finished :rofl::rock:

After every meal and sleep I take him out but nothing, he dosn't go 15 mins after he might go 30 mins, a hour..even more after a meal/sleep!

Dunno why this is happening and just taking some suggestions.

Oh, and hes a 8 week old male Bichon Frise.

Edited by Mak

Just my opinion , when pups are brand new ( 8 weeks) they don't give too many signs you just need to take him outside every 20mins and give a command that you intend to use going forward. I use "Do Wees" I just keep saying it and when the pup wees go beserzk with affection and praise. Bring him inside and repeat next 20 mins.

If he wees inside and you see him Give a firm NO and scoop him up (don't rush at him) and put him outside and keep calling the "do wees" command.

If he wees inside and you missed him doing it , just clean it up and don't say anything and continue as you were.

Cheers

Roo

Edited by Roo

Hi,

My Elka is 2 and just does it, no sniffs no nothing but it is always outside. She has always done it like this.

When she was a baby she never missed inside but vidilence is the key.

With puppies they tend to go as soon as they open their eyes, drink, eat or after playing.

Hi Mak :rofl:

Congrats on the new baby :rolleyes:

Your little boy is only 8 weeks and you are just going to have to be very patient with the toilet training :rofl: Because he is a toy breed, if you are taking him outside, everything could be seeming very "big" to him as well. You could try taking him to a smaller area to wee & poop. Make sure there is no playing and no talking until he does it! It could also be beneficial to have him on a lead so he gets to know this is "business time". Give him little clues and plenty of praise.

Even if there are no signs that he is going to toilet, continue to take him where you want him to toilet FREQUENTLY! :rofl:

It's can be extremely frustrating but he will get it eventually :laugh:

Have you though about trying those puppy wee pads? I haven't used these personally but I know of quite a few people who have had good success with these - especially with toy breeds as they have a scent to attract puppies to wee on them and you can place them in discreet little places for puppy to go.

With my current baby puppy, I have attached a bell to the wall near the door and I'm training her to ring it to go outside! Bichon breeds are very smart but also notorious for taking ages to toilet train. Keep your chin up, stay very patient, don't lose your cool. PERSIST :rofl:

I agree with the others but just wanted to add that you need a command that YOU are comfortable standing there saying in an encouraging voice while the very proper neighbours are having an outside party. :rolleyes:

My basic house training rules are

When they wake up put them out

Right after they have eaten or drunk put them out

When they stop playing put them out

If they haven't been for a while put them out.

I also stand there and repeat my command and lots of fuss when it happens.

Edited by Janba

I agree with the others but just wanted to add that you need a command that YOU are comfortable standing there saying in an encouraging voice while the very proper neighbours are having an outside party. :D

My basic house training rules are

When they wake up put them out

Right after they have eaten or drunk put them out

When they stop playing put them out

If they haven't been for a while put them out.

I also stand there and repeat my command and lots of fuss when it happens.

Agreed this is what we did with Sam and I think she went in the house twice when she was younger?

Edit: Also now she will just scratch as the back wire door or come and tell us is she needs to go if the door is closed.

Edited by Flying Penguin