Lactating Mother

sks169

I have a miniature schnauzer that just had two pups. Very cute, I might add. Possibly because she had to have a C-section, she is not producing enough milk. I have been supplementing the feedings. Does anyone know what I can feed the mother to help her with lactation?

:laugh:

Hi SKS169 - if it was me in this sitation then I would simply give Mum lots of normal Milk from the fridge. The calcium and fat content will be of huge advantage. I would not waste money on fancy "supplements". The good old KISS priciple (Keep it Simple St_pid) is one in which I am a true Believer. :laugh:

Firstly you would get a better response to this if you posted in the breeders section. When you say she doesn't have much milk how do you know? Are the puppies crying constantly? It takes 2 or 3 days for the milk to come in properly and until then they have the all important antibodies from mums first milk. Very important not to supplement unless you have to in those first days as they miss out on those antibodies and the puppies suckling is what stimulates the milk.

I always weigh the puppies and if they are gaining weight just keep an eye on them, she won't have big udders like cows, in some cases mine have been flat as a pancake and fed 6 pups with no issues. Also unless your bitch is used to drinking milk I wouldn't feed it now as it tends to cause scouring. I have had more success with goats milk. There is a recipe to stimulate milk production but I can't quite remember it, am sure somebody else will shortly

Just try and increase her fluid intake. If she is also not eating very well 24 hours or more post c-section, perhaps start her off on some half-strength biolac or similar. I had the same problem recently with my bitch and actually had to syringe feed the biolac to her for around a week.

I've also read that there is a recipe for milk production, so would love if someone could post it!

may I just add, that if puppies are round-bellied and looking settled, maybe she just doesn't appear to have much milk, as she is only producing for 2.

If puppies are restless and not looking round, then urgent attention is needed to help them and mum.

What did your Vet advise?

Hi SKS169 - if it was me in this sitation then I would simply give Mum lots of normal Milk from the fridge. The calcium and fat content will be of huge advantage. I would not waste money on fancy "supplements". The good old KISS priciple (Keep it Simple St_pid) is one in which I am a true Believer.

Many dogs don't actually tolerate cows milk very well so I wouldn't advise giving it to a lactating bitch 'in the hope' it might help.

BIOLAC is one of the best things you can give mum to help increase milk production and encourage fluid intake (as they like the taste). It is specifically designed for pups and we always give it to our bitches prior to and post whelping, especially if they are off their food or to help increase milk production.

may I just add, that if puppies are round-bellied and looking settled, maybe she just doesn't appear to have much milk, as she is only producing for 2.

Exactly. :rofl:

With 2 pups, mum may not be getting enough stimulation to produce more milk, but again, with only 2 bubs, she doesn't actually NEED to produce vast quantities either.

Pop off to the vets as others have said if pups are dropping weight or restless.

Great News! Thanks to DOL I got some great recipes for increasing the bitches milk supply. I haven't had to supplement the puppies feedings for two days!

I'll have to post some pics soon of these cute bubs!