4 Week Old Puppies

Mina

I hardly think so, we are really not set up for puppies and the older dogs need us more. Of course in saying this, when and if they need us, we will surely not be able to decline.

Taking these pups on have mad me more appreciative of the other rescue groups that take on mums and pups. They are a lot of work which take up a lot of time which we are short of already.

They are beautiful and you have done a great job with them

I hope Mum gets the home she deserves

Just to note though, all the pups I have ever fostered Staffy pups would have to be the biggest whingers of the lot, closely followed by JRT pups LOL

But how can you resist such cuties?

a couple of questions:

1/How long do you need to wait before desexing a bitch after she has had pups?

2/ Does the mother have a home to go to yet?

3/ What is her temperament like?

4/ Does the mother have a name?

We want to get another staffy and she may be perfect, any information on her would be appreciated. She would have to get on with a 19 week old staffy pup though.

Cheers

Roo

a couple of questions:

1/How long do you need to wait before desexing a bitch after she has had pups?

2/ Does the mother have a home to go to yet?

3/ What is her temperament like?

4/ Does the mother have a name?

We want to get another staffy and she may be perfect, any information on her would be appreciated. She would have to get on with a 19 week old staffy pup though.

Cheers

Roo

Hi Roo

1/ not too sure with this question, anyone care to answer this? She is still feeding the pups, but just. Will keep them seperate from tomorrow night, as she does keep running away from them when they try and feed. The pups are fully self suffient now anyway.

2/ We thought she did tonight, but they chose another boy... so YES, she is still looking for a home. :thumbsup:

3/ She has a great temperament, neer has she growled at anyone for coming near her pups, she is only a pup herself, 2yo. She has a great appetite and has put on a lot of weight and condition since coming to us which is great. She had a bit of a flea allergy but we have been bathing her almost every 2nd day and she is great in the bath too.

4/ her name is Soxy, (I dont particularly like it) so have been thinking of changing it soon.

Forgot to say, she has gone walking with other dogs and has been totally fine as well as never shown any aggression towards any dogs that come near her or her pups through the fence.

mum1.jpg

Edited by StaffyRescue

thankyou Freckles.

The only issue I may have is the last time I enquired about a rescue dog, I was ask to fill in a form giving my drivers licence number, how many days I work from home and what hours I am home during the week. I am not prepared to answer these questions as I want to protect my privacy. So if this will be a requirement then I don't want to waste their time.

Cheers

Roo

Roo the only reason you would be asked how long you work or are out of the home is so that any dog given into your care would not be left too long on his/her own and cause you both problems. I understand the not wanting your privacy invaded but it is for the sake of matching the right dog to your lifestyle. 99% of rescues would take on board what you tell them and it will never be given to anyone else EVER.

I wish you luck in your search :o

Thanks again Freckles,

The last time I made it clear that the foster parent of the dog could come around and personally look at my house and yard. (500m to beach, 200m to two massive off leash parks) personally meet me, see where I work (Dogs I own come to work with me) .

I would explain the dogs daily routine, I am one of those owners who takes their dogs nearly everywhere I go.

I put hours and hours into their training. But I wasn't prepared to give the required information on paper.

Their reply was "supply of the information is the policy of ........ and sorry but you can't adopt without providing the information on the form"

My attitude was "no problem", I am trying to right thing, but hey it was off to a breeder I went. No skin off my nose, I tried to help an abandoned dog.

I personally have no idea who I am giving the information to and hence there is no way I am giving it out willy nilly. Privacy act 2001 was enacted for this very reason. And I am not sure asking for a driver licence number is permitted without a policy in place for the correct disposal of the information.

Not trying to start an argument but my view is this:

I have been a regular visitor to the Animal Welfare league as I would much rather save a dumped dog than get another puppy from a pet shop or breeder. Pet Shops and the Animal Welfare League do not ask such questions that impose on my privacy. And I am surprised that adopting a dumped dog from the rescue places requires more information on my part than buying one from a pet shop and in some cases from a breeder . I would rather see Pet shops’ put future owners through the wringer ( as it could be reasonably suggested that at least some of these purchases are made on impulse, and that rescues are less so) but hey just my point of view. The animal welfare league were litterally throwing dogs at me , due to the fact that I spend a lot of time with them and they listened to what I told them about our lifestyle. None of the dogs were suitable for us however.

Cheers

Roo

Edited by Roo

Hey Roo, please feel free to give us a call if you are interested, or send us a PM.

The male puppy (he has been called 'little man) is the brindle and white one pictured with a little boy (my son). Little man is almost taken by one of our volunteers who has totally fallen in love with him. Although she will not get in the way of a great home for him if one comes up, she will have to give the okay though as to whether he leaves or not.

Some more You tube videos

Edited by StaffyRescue

Roo as a breeder I would like to think I am considerably more careful in the placement of any puppy than a pet shot which ultimately is in the business for profit. Yes I require a questionnaire to be filled in and honestly it has saved many of my babies from going to totally unsuitable homes. My last litter for instance I had what sounded like a perfect home, farmlet, part time worker, previous shelties etc etc only to find that this person was actually a buyer for a pet shop.

People lie and stretch the truth to get what they want and they are becoming increasingly sophisticated, even to the point of sending lovely families round to buy the pup when it is really being exported overseas. There are some nasty people out there and it is my job to do the best I can to ensure my babies don’t end up with one of them. I can only imagine that rescue people think exactly the same way and in actual fact I think I would be even fussier as in a lot of cases their dogs have already been let down by the human race

Roo as a breeder I would like to think I am considerably more careful in the placement of any puppy than a pet shot which ultimately is in the business for profit. Yes I require a questionnaire to be filled in and honestly it has saved many of my babies from going to totally unsuitable homes. My last litter for instance I had what sounded like a perfect home, farmlet, part time worker, previous shelties etc etc only to find that this person was actually a buyer for a pet shop.

People lie and stretch the truth to get what they want and they are becoming increasingly sophisticated, even to the point of sending lovely families round to buy the pup when it is really being exported overseas. There are some nasty people out there and it is my job to do the best I can to ensure my babies don’t end up with one of them. I can only imagine that rescue people think exactly the same way and in actual fact I think I would be even fussier as in a lot of cases their dogs have already been let down by the human race

Please don't take my post the wrong way, I agree with screening future puppy owners and have filled in a few forms myself and have no issue with most of the questions. However it does worry me when I see a question asking me for my drivers licence number, how this is relevant to a rescue/breeder is beyond me.

My issue is not about letting a breeder or foster owner know my daily routine etc or even inviting them around to my place to take a look themselves , it is more putting it in writing on a form that for all I know is going to thrown in the bin, or left in an unlocked filing cabinet etc etc for anyone to find.

If you think this doesn't happen, it does maybe not at breeders or rescue places but it does happen. And I for one would rather it wasn't my information that was let out. This is very reason the privacy act was enacted. Anyone who gathers such data really should make themselves aware of the requirements for keeping personal information.

Cheers

Roo

Edited by Roo