4 Week Old Puppies

Mina

We rescued a 2yo mum with 7 of her puppies today as they had no hope surviving at the pound.

I would like some advise on a few things. We are not that experienced with puppies and would like to make sure we do the right thing by them.

Have done a search on google but all the information given is for puppies 8 weeks up.

Anyone know of a good puppy site for info regarding puppies this young? Mum appears to be a good mum and allows us to come near the pups but I feel she is getting a bit tired of them suckling from her.

We gave them a bit of puppy kibble and some mince and they were ravenous.

How early do they go on solids?

What is the best thing to give them?

They are covered in fleas (as is mum) How early can they be bathed? What is the safest thing to bath them with?

They appear to be healthy but with very wormy bellies.

Appreciate any help.....

Oh there are 6 girls and 1 boy.

Oh my you will have your hands full. :rofl:

They can start solids now with no problems. A quality dry food and mince is sufficient, you can dampen the dry in a little water if you please , sometimes it makes the dry a little easier for them to handle. The Advance Rehydratable is made especially for this but you can do it with other kibble. I would feed them small meals four times a day and split the puppies into two groups, that way you can see who's getting what.

The puppies can also be offered water at all times now, others may argue but if Mum has started to have enough of them, you could start to wean them slowly now and let here feed them as she feels at the moment. There's no need for the puppy milks and puppy porridge, these guys are already started on solids and the other stuff is just a waste of money.

You can bath them now, there is no harm in doing that. You can get flea shampoos for puppies and kittens. I would check with Bayer, if any of the products can be used on puppies so young. It's possible that the benefits of removing the fleas , would outweigh any potential risks to the puppies and they can advise you on what's best to use.

Worm now :party: and every two weeks

The poo and cleaning up is all yours :rofl:

Edited by Warley

Don't know much about feeding young pups myself, but would follow Warley's advice. As for fleas, Frontline SPRAY can be used from a very young age (2 days old from memory) but the spot on treatments can usually only be used from 6 weeks for Advantage or 12 weeks for Frontline. (don't know about using only a drop??) Check with a vet first maybe before using anything on them just to be safe. A bath probably wouldn't hurt them but I would check that it is safe for pups. Like Warley said, worm them now - a puppy worming syrup may be more economical for so many especially if they are small ( can't use most? of the tablet forms until they are over 1.5kgs) but then again if they are staffy crosses they are probably little buddhas already :rofl: Good luck and keep us up to date!

Edited by kendall

Thanks for the suggestions... the fleas seem to be slowly going. I have had to bath them almost every second day as they are full of sh%$t. They appear to be pretty healthy (Thank God) and mum is very placid and calm.

I am feeding them mince with kibble (soaked with water first)3 x a day and they are loving it. I think they may be older than we first thought. Will get the vet to give us an estimate.

I will get photos on here when I get the chance.

Your not wrong about taking on a massive job..... they may be cute, but they do require a lot of work.

As they had come from Blacktown Pound we are being extra cautious with Quarantine and they pups have not left their kennel except for bath time. We should get them vaccinated soon.

Edited by StaffyRescue

Guest Clover

Thanks for giving Mum and bubs a chance at a good life SR :dropjaw:. You have been given some good advice. Goodluck, i cannot wait to see pics of the littlies and their Mum.

Welcome to the wonderful world of baby pups SR!!! :confused: We've raised 5 litters here now and all have been different as to the weaning BUT the litter here currently were tucking into solids quite happily from 2 weeks 4 days!! You may find these pups are in fact only 4 weeks but are just really easy to wean. They seem to be like human kids - you know how some never want to start on solids and prefer Mum's boob but others can't wait?

I'd also recommend the rule of 7 that I read about on here a couple of years ago - essentially it means exposing them to 7 different ground surfaces, 7 different foods, 7 different people, 7 different dogs, 7 different noises etc etc (when it is safe due to quarantine of course) as once they have passed 7 things new things aren't so worrying.

Another thing that sounds easy but actually is quite hard when you're looking after a kennel full of dogs AND new pups AND 3 kids is to try to handle each pup quite a bit. Our last litter of babies were the first litter we have raised exclusively in the middle of our loungeroom and they are the most amazingly confident little pups - obviously the nature of their Mum (and whoever Dad was) has helped but I firmly believe nurture has much to do with it too. They were exposed to grumpy tantrumy kids, other dogs, cats, the TV, the vacuum cleaner etc and I haven't seen them frightened of anything more than once. Campbell especially love to help raise the pups (supervised of course!) and it really shows with this litter.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a Youtube video of the pups in action...

busy little beavers they are. Excuse the background noise, the squeaky toy was setting off all the other dogs in the kennels.

Enjoy.... these little guys will be looking for a new home soon. I will post photos of these guys in the rescue section too.

They are so cute! Definitely not 4 weeks though! They look about 7-8 weeks. Well done on rescuing them all. ;)

They are gorgeous aren't they?! I love staffy pups (and adults too ;) ) Don't forget this thread was started 2 weeks ago, so they would be around 6 -7 weeks old now :laugh: .

They look really healthy and you have done a fantastic job with them StaffyRescue - do you have homes for them yet?

kendall

Thanks Kendall, I was going to post about the age they would be now, considering when the post was started. We were not sure of their age was when they first came to us as they were surrendered to the pound and this is only what we could go with, although I felt they were older.

We had them vaccinated and the vet seemed to think they are about 6 to 7 weeks based on their teeth. No homes yet, but they are getting lots of attention from our volunteers. I am sure that once we put them on our website they will get a lot of interest.

They do seem very healthy and we are very glad they all survived till now considering where they came from.