2yr Old Ex -racing Greyhound Girl

Hi All,

I'm not exactly sure if this is where to post this question but we have just rescued a 2yr old greyhound girl who was trained and has been racing but doesn't have the strong chase instinct needed apparently to be a champion..

Thing is I know working breeds NOT greyhounds !! (OH's idea)

So can anyone give me an education on dealing with greyhounds?? Ex-Racers??

1/ Are they always so stiff and uncomfortable looking??

2/ Do they always shake like a chihuahua?

She is in what is considered for a racing dog to be in great condition though to me that looks underweight..

her teeth are terribly brown and she was really food aggressive on the first night when my other dogs walked passed even though she was fed in a seperately fenced area.

I'm worried whether to expect muscle problems or anything re: metabolism now that she has suddenly been brought out of the racing lifestyle.. is there anything I should look for??

Hi bluecollie :laugh:

I'm not sure what you mean by shake like a chi? Is she shaking all the time? Like she's in shock or cold or stressed?

I've never had a greyhound do that (not even the very scared ones recently rescued). If it were me I'd take her to a greyhound vet and get her checked out. If you need a contact, call your local greyhound track and get them to recommend a good vet.

Her teeth will come right with some bones and chicken frames regularly. It's just calculus build up.

Pet greys normally have 2-3 ribs showing and the hip "pin bones". She'll put on weight slowly and loose some of her racing muscle as a pet.

Greyhounds cope very well in retirement and it's unlikely if she hasn't had any serious racing injuries in her short career that she will have any muscle problems.

You might like to do some reading to learn more - here are a few links :)

These are all US sites so not all info will be relevant. They keep greyhounds in crates at the race tracks over there.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Just remember that everything is new to her - other breeds of dogs, being in a house - carpet/tiles/windows/noises etc.

They adapt very quickly though.

Good luck with her :laugh:

Thank you Olly for all your info. We took her straight to the vet to get her checked out and to ask a few questions as soon as we got her. His thoughts regarding her shaking was anxiety and said how before a race they get all hyped up and do it and we did get a rug jacket thing for her for night time so she doesn't get cold which we use.. I don't know maybe its just that I'm not used to greyhounds but she seems so stiff in comparison and her legs being so long & skinny makes her seem so fragile in a sense - a lot less agile anyway.

What type of bedding do they prefer?? We have a really large dog hammock bed thing we thought she'd use but she didn't seem to want to trust it when she went to stand on it so we've ended up putting big foam squares together with a rug over them for her to try and make her comfortable ( which I think my BC's are quite jealous about though they would end up chewing it up anyway-lol)

Greys that are nervous about something (eg move to a home environment) can 'freeze up'. Shouldn't be long and she'll be roaching and doing zoomies and trying to climb on your lap for a cuddle :) They can certainly be klutzes :laugh:

Our guys have soft beds inside and tramp beds out, if they're not overly keen to start with they get used to them. They often have a few days of wobbling on the couch too, until they work out that all it requires is to jump up and then flop in a comfy heap :laugh:

As the others said, she will take a little while to "warm up" or relax. Everything is very new to her, the smells, the sights, the sounds, the routines. The trembling may be anxiety, but it may not be...I have had dogs that "chatter" their teeth, but when they are excited or smell something of interest. It will help her adjust if you get her into a routine...feed at the same time each day etc, because in the kennels they are used to set routines. She'll relax in no time.

The teeth might need a clean at the vet...racing dogs are usually fed a fairly soft diet and not a lot of bones (upsets the digestions and they can't race with an upset belly). I give my girls turkey necks and that helps with keeping the teeth good.

Where's the pictures????? :laugh:

I had a rescued afghan for a while and they can be similar to greyhounds - I think. It's all a learning curve.

Anyway I always make my dogs sit before meals and the afghan was very, very slow to sit. Then a greyhound person told me that sighthounds are uncomfortable sitting. They tend to stand or lie down. I watched her after that and she never sat. So for weeks I was making her sit when it was really unconfortable for her - poor thing.

If you got her right from the trainer, then she probably has never seen the inside of a house. You need to introduce her to things such as clear glass (windows and doors), carpet, slippery floors, stairs. And sounds like flushing toilets, washing dishes, washing machines etc etc. The list goes on. Imagine you have never seen or been inside a house, and think about what you need to introduce her to.

My boy was from rspca, and he walked into our house and was totally comfy immediately. (had one setback when he 'zoomed' into a glass door, hence my warning).

Maya however, was a little spook, sounds like your girl. She was about 18 mths old, and spend most of the first night trembling and pacing and panting. Quite distressing for us. I left he be mostly, but didnt go far from her. at one point she went into our bedroom and hopped on the bed. I think she froze at the softness and the fact her feet sank a bit, when i tried to lift her down gently, as i could see her distress, she yelped and froze some more. A far cry from the girl who now, every morning when i open the bedroom door, does a flying leap from 2 meters away and lands on her daddys... well.... lets say she is a great aim...

Then there was the beeping pedestrian traffic lights.... took us 6 months for her to get over that fright.

What i am saying, is that with the right introduction to her retirement, and gently gently, you will have a nutcase like my little girl on your hands. Probably helped our girl that our boy is a laid back dude with nothing phasing him ever. She still has her little frights occasionally, but she is a completely different dog to the one we brought home a little over a year ago.

Just introduce her to things gently, she will 'get it' in her own time

Oh, bedding? Something very soft!!! They dont have the body fat as padding that most dogs have. You dont want her on anything too hard or rough (that's what my greys tell me anyway).

Make sure she has a special place of her own, where she can go for time out. Make it comfy and somewhere your other dogs dont usually go. Once she knows this is her place, take her there when she gets stressed out.

And the best part? You cannot begin to imagine the joy in seeing that little girl coming out of her shell. You will be amazed, stunned, and elated every little step she takes. It is truly a wonderful experience.

Good on you for adopting this girl - what is her name and WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS!!!!!

Edited to add:

just because she didnt have the stuff to be a racer, the chase instinct wasnt strong enough, doesnt mean it isnt there. That is the same reason our girl was surrendered - but let her off at the off leash (fenced) park now and she is off and running to chase the nearest moving dog. Man that girl can fly - another joy you have to look forward - the magnificence of a greyhound in full flight!

You will also have to get her a muzzle - it is still law in NSW for a grey to wear a muzzle in public. I think i would muzzle my kids at the park regardless of the law, i know they can get a bit excited when they want to chase somebody.

Edited by Peachie

Thanks everyone for all this great info - so much makes more sense now especially the 'freezing up' thing..

We do have her a muzzle it was given to us when we got her and was told about the regulation.

Scarlet I had to laugh about the sitting dilemma because straight away I thought 'Thats whats odd she doesn't sit!'

And thanks heaps AnnieK your info pack really opened our eyes...

Our girls name is Polly so the OH says 'Polly, What a cracker!'

She came inside last night and investigated everything slowly and then finally relaxed on the floor next to my OH. Its his dog so I make sure he feeds her etc and last night she warmed to him much more - I think it was the ear scratching..lol :champagne:

DSC00308-1.jpg

DSC00303-1.jpg

Thank you!

She just amazed us tonight because we pulled up in the driveway and she actually met us at the car and followed us to the front door with tail wagging!!!!

ooooh watch that waggy tail - I've had a few wine glasses "cleared" from the coffee table with just one whoosh :champagne:

annieK