2yr Old Ex -racing Greyhound Girl

ditto to what annie said... i have been whipped countless times by our girl when daddy gets home.....

I think her weight is good. Some retirees i have seen gain a little extra weight, and i think they look strange. For me, personally, i like to see a few ribs. IMO that is how these magnificent animals are built, you are supposed to see some ribs and those beautiful rippling muscles. My big boy often gets stopped on our walks by people, usually guys, asking when he is racing again - those who know greys are usually gobsmacked when i tell them that he hasnt raced for nearly 3 years, and my girl has never raced. They both look race condition, and that is how i like them.

I know some wont agree, that now that they are pets it is ok to carry some extra weight, but i feel that since they, especially my boy who was retired due to injury, should be kept lean to ward off joint pain later on as they get older.

Your little 'cow-girl', Polly, is just stunning, and looks like about the same size as my girl. She is actually spitting image of a friend of mines grey.

Congrats - sounds like she is coming around. Dont be worried if you have a few setbacks, it is amazing what small things will scare a spook. Just be relaxed around her, and firm when required, and you will have a great little girl on your hands.

We had our youngest girls 5th b'day party today and Polly greeted us all when we got home and particularly hung around the kids (maybe it was the sweet smell of the lollies they'd eaten but she seemed to enjoy their attention and a couple of snuck burger rings by my 3 yr old son -lol :dropjaw:

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I just realised its been about 4 months now since we got Polly and boy were you guys right about how she would change..

She has got to be one of the funniest dogs I have ever known - to see her race up the yard when you get home or throw the kong and watch her fly over about 6 puppies at times just to beat them to it.. Her favourite toy though seemed to be my sons soccer ball so after she destroyed it we bought her a new one which lasted 10mins before you heard pop and seen her pull the balloon out of the middle-lol

Though the funniest thing yet has to be her attempt one night to actually "sit" next to my hubby on the floor -She has learnt now to play with our cats and for a dog that had zero tolerance for any other dog she now plays the rabbit role to presently 8 x 14 week old pups and flys up the yard with all of them chasing her madly and when they get her at the other end I think the game is 'Who can touch the highest part on the greyhound' its hilarious and impossible so far to catch on camera but I'll keep trying...

post-12807-1185844067_thumb.jpg

post-12807-1185844126_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluecollie

She looks beautiful and in great condition. Wish I looked as good as a grey!

We got an exCH boxer from a breeder who was used to kennel life and she took a full 3-4 weeks to settle in. She seemed to be pining. I think you've done really well. A household must be a scary place if they're not used to it.

All i can say is.....

WE TOLD YOU SO!

It is our little spook's 3rd birthday today.

They are both having a banana muffin with whipped cream on top, and some fancy doggie biscuits - and of course, a stuffy toy for the birthday girl.

Thanks everyone for all this great info - so much makes more sense now especially the 'freezing up' thing..

We do have her a muzzle it was given to us when we got her and was told about the regulation.

Scarlet I had to laugh about the sitting dilemma because straight away I thought 'Thats whats odd she doesn't sit!'

And thanks heaps AnnieK your info pack really opened our eyes...

Our girls name is Polly so the OH says 'Polly, What a cracker!'

She came inside last night and investigated everything slowly and then finally relaxed on the floor next to my OH. Its his dog so I make sure he feeds her etc and last night she warmed to him much more - I think it was the ear scratching..lol :D

DSC00308-1.jpg

DSC00303-1.jpg

:laugh: Oooohhh. She is PRETTY!!!!