Private Instructors

WMR has helped me heaps and heaps starting out

My biggest trouble is remembering everything for when I need it

And I was too enthusiastic about moving forward too quickly as well, but I have learnt to slow down now

I think sometimes even with the best help and advice we still need to make some mistakes ourselves, to get it right in the end

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Shoey,

However I have to say I have had far less mistakes and far more success with her UD training to date since getting my WA help. I am getting less stuck and continually moving forward even though things might not go quite according to plan. I am also learning when to back up a bit and how far but importantly how not to get stuck in a rutt.

Whatever its working and that I am soooo glad I went.

Edited by ness

shoey your a star you like ness are starting out with your first dog and have gone forward in leaps and bounds of we all make mistakes even the best make mistakes but your willing to listen and try one thing i ahev learned from teaching others is soemtimes the best trianing is to step back and wait till they are ready to learn

Arya i agree

We all need that outsider looking in to pick up the little faults and give a different perspective sometimes your to familiar with your own dog and it takes soemone from outside to see the truth of whats going on.

I havent had an instructor for a long time but then i havent been serious about competing for a long time either if i was i'd go private and get help to make sure i get a pleasing end result

Yeah I think I get so excited when things go well that I rush it, but I am learning to be more patient lol

Ness, I'm watching your videos now! Do you feel like you're being stalked? :laugh:

Actually I haven't videoed me and Ed for a while, will have to do that this week

Yes wheres my rock its HUGELY a confidence thing. I have finally stopped doubting Ness's capabilities and that came with the no longer making excuses for her.

Oh nooooooo shoey is stalking me again :laugh: .

Edited by ness

Thats a really good point isn't it

The dogs know when we doubt them, they sense it

JulesP the only trainers I know are the ones on here, but I havent technically done any trial work with anyone yet as we haven't been up to that stage yet, and the ones I've trained with are Wheres my rock and just recently Cosmolo, and I think they are both great!

Edited by shoemonster

WMR - Can I just say that I think it is really nice of you the compliments you are giving to Ness and Shoey :cheer:. I think that a lot of instructors fail to remember to give POSITIVE feedback to their 'trainees' which they really need if they lack confidence (haha - like me, ness and shoey). By the way - I completely agree with you! Ness I see your vids and Shoey's and i'm no expert, but I watch your dogs with envy too :party:.

Jules - Unfortunately I don't know any private instructors.... but I CAN say that the CDODC trial ring has helped me in much the same way as WA has helped Ness. They have provided me with +ve feedback and haven't been too hard on a complete newbie :laugh:. I have learned heaps from them and I think they have a lot more faith in Leo and myself that I do!

Can I also suggest that joining an email group such as here or Ozobedience trialling can help - there are many knowledgable people on ozobedience that can help you online - I started private emails with one of them and she has been brilliant with offering advice and feedback after seeng my vids. How about posting vids on here.

The other thing that has helped me is my training partner - who has since moved to NZ :o:birthday: - She is a 'behavioural trainer' but very presice in her training and I think 90% of my success has to go to her too!!! LOL! Man I miss those training sessions. So I think these training days that we are trying to organise will help.

Sorry but thats the only advice I can offer :)

Hmm I actually like the cut to the chase type of feed back leopuppy - once you get over the initial shock of hearing it the first time :) . Then again it depends some people can be pretty blunt and you can feel right at home with what they have to say. Maybe thats because now I am training by myself its that sort of feedback you start to desire.

It also comes back to having confidence. When your running on a high its far easier to take criticism then not. Part of the reason I even dared club ring training last week was because Ness had put in a stunning session on the Monday evening and I just figured nothing anybody could say was going to wipe the huge grin I had off my face from ear to ear. :laugh:

Edited by ness

I thik there's a big difference between critisism and constreuctive critisism

I have had a few give me straight critisism, and that was not helpful in any way

I do need to know what I'm doing wrong, but don't want to feel like an idiot in the process

For eg, one instructor "what the hell do you call that crap heeling"

Other instructor, "you might want to have a look at your heeling, as it's a bit messy and I know you can do better"

Edited by shoemonster