Who Is Training Who?

Yeah he did, because at that point he hadn't been trained what to do, as it was only his 3rd or 4th show and yeah I was nervous as hell!!!

Obedience also includes a stand at the end of a heeling pattern, the dogs stand then

In basic everyday walking I want my dogs to sit when I stop, as it is safer, especially at a curb

Edited by shoemonster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have put Eddie's mistake down to Bel's nerves and not a blanket thing. Kinta and Leo both sit automatically when I stop - when both in the show ring, they will stand - usually I will tell them to 'stand' at the end of a gait - their 'gait' insn't affected by heeling - it's a different command, and i've never had a problem with them sitting on the back. It's all about the way you handle - my body language for herding/obedience/agility/showing is completely different - and the dogs respond to that :)

Im not talking using commands as you are. Im talking in the flow of things with no commands.

Yeah he did, because at that point he hadn't been trained what to do, as it was only his 3rd or 4th show and yeah I was nervous as hell!!!

You were used as an example, as you had posted it already.

No need to get all defensive about it.

Nerves don't only effect the handler, they also effect the dog.

So if the dog is taught 3-4 different things when we stop, i can see how they also get confussed.

Obedience also includes a stand at the end of a heeling pattern, the dogs stand then

And what comman is given?

Many "show" dogs have no commands.

I won't say all because that is not the case.

In basic everyday walking I want my dogs to sit when I stop, as it is safer, especially at a curb

No one says it's not safer for them to sit at a curb.

Maybe next time I'll get him to beg then roll over for the judge :)

In regards to the stand command, you know what I've been doing with Ed, if he's in heel position he sits, if I am to the side he stands, no command, just a different body position

Edited by shoemonster

Yeah that shits me, they grab their mouth whille you're still getting in posi, it's so rude, especially with pups who are still getting used to their mouths being touched

See thats one thing in obed you would benefit from, the stand for exam :)

I do it under 30 seconds, so im not taking to long. Well most of the time,

My issue is they give older dogs time, not younger ones. :thumbsup:

Id prefer home and public manners then an obediance title. :)

No that wasn't bitchy it was the truth.

Obediance should start at home, and no dog/child should impose on others.

No one is asking people who prefer to show to obedience title their dogs, and I say obedience in the sport, not just having a well behaved dog

If someone obedience trains their dog and it sits in the show ring, you should be happy, it will make your dog look better, so in reality you should be encouraging others to do it :)

If a dog sat in the (show) ring and lifted its paw I would probably clap. It's nice to see a multi-talented dog :thumbsup: .

I do believe some clubs and training methods would 'allow' for show dogs - I wouldn't expect

obedience trained show dogs to be velcro-ed to the knee or automatically sit every time

the handler stops. I am sure there are different signals/words/commands.

But then what would I know - I don't show or obedience trial :)

If a dog sat in the (show) ring and lifted its paw I would probably clap. It's nice to see a multi-talented dog :thumbsup: .

I do believe some clubs and training methods would 'allow' for show dogs - I wouldn't expect

obedience trained show dogs to be velcro-ed to the knee or automatically sit every time

I would also do a little cheer, i like the dogs out there that have personality and not just being a robot. :thumbsup:

Just ask Sway, she thinks it's her job to taste test all the judges :thumbsup:

I know many showies will title there dogs, then do obediance as to not over lap the two.

Many showies don't use signals or commands. The ring is a very quiet place.

It's almost an instant thing, you stop they stack.

No one is asking people who prefer to show to obedience title their dogs, and I say obedience in the sport, not just having a well behaved dog

If someone obedience trains their dog and it sits in the show ring, you should be happy, it will make your dog look better, so in reality you should be encouraging others to do it :)

lmao should i consider my dog to be good then, he will sit and lift his paw and wave to the judge as they go past, who said sad for exam? he thinks its sit for exam them politely offer his paw for shaking now whats wrong with that in the show ring huh.. :thumbsup:

lol mine is one of those.. he would lift his paw, and auto sit.lol

i was thinking do i start different commands, but then i though i would confuse myself and him more. i dont intend to do full on showing so for me it doesnt really matter i guess

i belive all dogs to gain a champion should either be titled in a working area f the test is there ie basic retrieving trial test

herding instinct or they should get their cgc

which shows the dog has brains fits wel into society has a good temprement as well as beauty

there are far to many crappy tempremented show dogs around buts thast off topic

I know plenty of show / obed people there body language the way they carry the lead indicates to the dog whether its a in close and st suto routine or a show one you can do both easily

I love to see handlers/owners enjoying their dog in the ring regardless, It can be such a serious

place sometimes - some people look like they have a pine cone up their kiber :)

I know!! :thumbsup:

Were happy if she doesn't shit in the ring, and i don't fall over :thumbsup: