Gone A Long Time Ago

*Avanti*

Hey boy, why am I so stuck on you? It has been seven years now since you passed away. Why am I still crying over you? Maybe because you taught me everything, you gave me everything about things that really matter that no human was able to give. You were not even a very well behaved dog and were very grumpy and cranky in your older years but I still loved you to bits. I knew you for your whole life from a puppy to an old man. As a puppy you nearly died with a very serious staff infection but you miraculously pulled through. Even the vet could not believe your recovery. As a pup at 12 weeks old you had stopped eating or drinking and Michael threw you into a water tank. I thought that was quite heartless and cruel of him but you swam and you survived.

It was like you were faced with the immediate decision of life or death and you chose life. From then on you recovered and were the most enthusiastic loving dog who deserved a gold Olympic Medal for the swimming you did from there on.

When you passed away I wanted to follow and go with you. Cause we were united souls. It was like part of me died too (well it did, can you give me that much?). But you would not accept or like to hear that. What you taught me, what you gave me was the complete opposite.

I have to swim too. Now you are the teacher.

Everyone loved you wherever we went and you came everywhere with me.

I miss you so dearly. It is a bit weird to maybe have this wrench of grief after seven years. I partly want to share on the Rainbow Bridge forum to tell others how it can be. Don't let the grief get you down too much. Some dogs get right into your heart. I guess that is why some call them "heart dogs".

Boy I love you passionately and will forever and am so thankful to you for all that you gave me. I still have your collar with yor hairs attached and sometimes I beg a sniff of your sweet smell of hay. :laugh::):o:birthday:

I still miss you boy and I love you.

el condor pasa

His breed was labrador.

I understang your loss so well. It will be eight years in September that I lost my beloved Jenna, there is never a day that goes by that I don't miss and long for her. My heart will never be the same again, the hole will never be filled and the tears will never stop :laugh:

Thankyou. It is so nice to hear this understanding and to hear others feel the same way. I'll never get over loosing my boy, such a precious boy he was. I guess that goes with the equation of our relative longetivity and the reality that humans live longer than dogs. We might outlive them but never stop loving them. And I'm left behind with only his teachings.

:laugh:

I understand how you feel. My dogs collar is hanging over my bed post and every now and then i bump it and it makes that old familiar jingle of the tags :rofl: . I will never forget her and what she meant to me.

Why dont our beloved friends live longer.

Yep tears are flowing freely now :thumbsup:

I lost my beautiful Tash only 1year ago but I still get so heart broken when ever I think of her .(GSD)My husband cried as much as I did when she went :D I know it will take a very long time to not be upset when I think of her .

When we lost her we couldn't even contemplate getting another but we heard of a big boy needing a rehome so went and had a look and fell in love. My nephew aged 3 came with me and we told him we were going to look at a dog like Tash. When we saw him he said is this Heaven? Why we asked and he said we came here to get Tashie and take her home,I miss her he said. That was hard :eek:

I lost Tia 15 years ago and can say that it has only been the last few years that I dont get teary just thinking of her(Irish Setter).

No one should ever feel guilty about being so upset over feeling so much grief for our beautiful fur kids

I gave my best mate her wings five years ago last month, followed a year exactly to the day later I lost my old horse as well I thought my heart would break. :love: I kept hair from both so I can still breathe them. I cry for both still, as they were my mates I will never ever forget them.

RIP Jess and Dopey

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, yes I understand those words :rolleyes: sometimes our words are powerful and although only words,they touch the heart deeply.

I lost my Mastiff x to numerous problems 3 yrs ago, in the end I put him to sleep. Sometimes preparing a meal and placing it where you feel your lost ones spirit, helps the pain.

Edited by Delkerabo

Yes, I too, can appreciate your loss.

We lost our beloved 15 year old silky terrier to a hit and run driver in a bad storm five years ago. She had got out of the yard and after looking for her in the streets in the middle of the night during the storm (and waking the neighbours), I got a call from our vet at day light to inform me someone had taken her in to him and she was badly injured.

The vet was wonderful, but he could not save her. And as terrible as it was for Topsy and for her human family, I could never have made the decision to put her down voluntarily from old age because at 15, she was not a young dog and I am only grateful that she did not have to suffer for too long.

We had just laid my grandfather to rest the day before the storm, so it was a double blow.

My sister has just given me a new puppy this week, as it is the last litter of pups her black poodle is having. This new puppy is also black, hairy, intelligent and friendly. So, this could be interesting.

Best regards...