What More Can I Do?

terror x 3

Hi everyone!im new on here and ive been doing lots of reading to try and find answers to my probs to no avail!

i have 3 dogs: 1 1/2 yr old shitzu, her baby who is 16weeks and a 7 month old mini dax x mini foxie. no matter what i do they continue to destroy everything in site.they have all money can buy and all the love in the world but nothing will stop them. so far my RENTAL yard looks like someone has been digging to get to china and everything from my NEW sofa to the carpet is ruined.

its frustrating cos they're all really smart, obedient dogs so i dont know what i can do to stop them from being bored.

any help would be great!

this is them

post-16185-1175201657_thumb.jpg

post-16185-1175201905_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone!im new on here and ive been doing lots of reading to try and find answers to my probs to no avail!

i have 3 dogs: 1 1/2 yr old shitzu, her baby who is 16weeks and a 7 month old mini dax x mini foxie. no matter what i do they continue to destroy everything in site.they have all money can buy and all the love in the world but nothing will stop them. so far my RENTAL yard looks like someone has been digging to get to china and everything from my NEW sofa to the carpet is ruined.

its frustrating cos they're all really smart, obedient dogs so i dont know what i can do to stop them from being bored.

any help would be great!

this is them

How could such cute dogs do such things :thumbsup: ?

I sympathise as my new pup will chew anything in sight. I crate him when he's inside and I can't supervise. Crates are for short-term only, of course, and are no solution if you're at work for many hours.

What exercise/ games/ training do the dogs get on a typical day? How long are they alone in the backyard for?

You should walk your dogs, at least an hour a day. More if possible of course. Seems like they are bored and have a lot of energy to burn. They must learn you are the leader and listen to you. They also should heel when you are walking (not pull you where they want to go). Mental and physical exercise coming from their leader is much more important than any toys and cuddles.

All dogs need exercise and training, they need the exercise to tire them out physically and they need training to tire them mentally. Having three very young dogs who are smart and intelligent, all needing attention, exercise and training is a big ask for anyone and there's a possibility that three dogs are simply too much for you.

Do you have somewhere safe you can take them to run off lead, a 1/2 hour run twice daily, morning and evening will solve a lot of your problems. Other than that a good walk on lead will help although it won't tire them as much as a good run. If you do decide to take them out running and walking remember that the baby will tire easily and won't be able to keep up with the other dogs so if you're walking them on lead he will have to be taken separately. You can also have toy or ball games in the yard, a few games of fetch will help to tire them out.

Inside I recommend crating the dogs or putting them in a puppy pen when you can't supervise them, as they all get on and are only small dogs one large crate or puppy pen will suffice.

Even though they're only little dogs they still need training, if you have time to train each of them separately a couple of times a day this is a good idea as it will tire them mentally and this is just as important as exercise.

As I said having three dogs of this age is a LOT of work and although they will improve as they mature (which is going to be a while) you are simply going to have to put the work in for a couple of years, there are no short cuts and no quick fix solutions. If you really don't have time to do all these things maybe it would be a good idea to think about rehoming the baby and just keeping the two older dogs, I know it's very hard to do, but cutting down on numbers so you have more time to spend one on one with each dog may be the only solution.

You should walk your dogs, at least an hour a day. More if possible of course. Seems like they are bored and have a lot of energy to burn. They must learn you are the leader and listen to you. They also should heel when you are walking (not pull you where they want to go). Mental and physical exercise coming from their leader is much more important than any toys and cuddles.

Not sure you should be walking the little one for an hour, shes only 16 weeks old. The little daxie might not make an hour either. :rofl:

Restrict access to the house, have an area where they are allowed (supervised) and use a deterrent (some yucky spray stuff) on your couch so they learn not to chew etc.

How long are they left alone?

They probably need some interactive toys for outside.....try kongs (small appropriate sized ones) filled with treats/peanut butter etc.

Maybe a clam shell pool with sand for digging, some raw meaty bones to chew on.

Also, exercise (in moderation for the younger ones) is great, as is training, mental stimulation.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Not sure you should be walking the little one for an hour, shes only 16 weeks old. The little daxie might not make an hour either. :rofl:

I ment an hour in total (could be split into 2x1/2 or 3x 1/3) :thumbsup:

I ment an hour in total (could be split into 2x1/2 or 3x 1/3) :rofl:

A 4 month old puppy still doesnt need to be walked an hour a day.....10 - 15 minutes is more than enough at that age. And preferably on soft ground. :rofl:

Better make sure puppy has had all its vaccinations and can go out for walks too. :thumbsup:

ETA...stoopid quote thingies are playing up :rofl:

Edited by Cazbear

thanks for everyones input.in answer to some questions:there is a dog park right near my house that we go to almost everyday so they get to run and play (you'd be surprised at how much energy they have - they think they're big dogs)

they get training 2-3 times a week cos i know they're smart and they enjoy the learning.

im at work for 6 hours a day but i always try to leave something interesting in the yard for them to keep their minds busy.

i definitely have the time for all 3 otherwise i wouldnt have them, that wouldnt be fair on the dog.im a very responsible dog owner.

i have tried everything that has been suggested but i guess with age they may grow out of some habits.its only really a problem cos i live in a rented property so if they ruin something i have to fix it before inspection time lol

thanks for everyones help!