Dog Food On A Budget

our dogs get

.chicken mince

.rice or pasta

.dry food (usually supper coat bonnies or pedigree performance)

. and chicken necks

.lactose (sp?) free milk

this cost us around roughly 50c+ per day to feed each

never had an issue with their weight coats or poop!!!

Are there any types of raw bones to avoid? (apart from too small ones)?

That depends on your dog and what you feel comfortable with. I feed pretty much any part of the animal that is available to me(be it chicken, cow, sheep, pig, duck, goat, rabbit etc etc). That said, I don't feed things such as beef leg bones which are often sold as 'dog bones'. Being weight bearing bones (ie they take the weight of the whole animal) they are very hard bones. They are also generally devoid of meat. Their hardness means they can potentially do damage to teeth and there isn't much nutrition to be got off them. When cut, they are IMO twice as dangerous as they present sharp, hard artifical edges for the dog to chew on rather than encouraging them to chew on the ends. I prefer to feed bones that the dogs can for the most part eat in their entirety and which have a fair share of meat on them. That is why they are referred to as raw MEATY bones :)

I'm on a strict budget at the moment and have found I can feed Bean really well on a very small amount...

He's mainly on all-chicken for health reasons at the moment. Chicken frames (totally edible and still with a fair amount of meat & fat on them) are only 25c each at Lenard's. Lenard's also have chicken cuts (meaty legs, wings, thighs) for $1.99 a kilo. Also pet chicken mince (I mix it with mashed or grated vegies) is something like 80c a kilo.

For cheap but nutritious extras I add things like a bit of fishy cat food (no name brands actually seem to be the most additive-free), a raw egg, gravy from last night's dinner, or some of the oil from a tin of tuna.

I also check out the pet section in the meat aisle at the supermarket when I'm shopping. There are generally always great bargains, especially with lamb offcuts.

We are feeding two standard poodles, two mini poodles and a very active tibetan terrier x? for around $30 per week.

For breakfast the standards get each 1 cup pal pedigree (small bites) dry and 1/4 tin natures gift. The little dogs get 1 cup pal pedigree (small bite) dry and 1/2 tin natures gift split evely between the three.

For dinner the standards get 1-2 chicken carcasses (depending on size) sometimes I stuff them with vegies, sardines, pasta etc.

The little dogs get 3-4 necks each.

If you wanted to make it even cheaper you could substitute the natures gift a few times a week with chicken mince.

I used to feed a full BARF diet but I found it too hard to get weight on the standards and the little terrierx, I also think their coats are better on this diet.

Poodle Wrangler you are pretty much feeding BARF anyway. You could drop the SC and just look as some additives like brewers yeast, kiddie Vit drops (am assuming it is a pup) or kelp. Add some offal too.

Watch meat from pet supplies though as it sometimes has lots of preservatives in it. I buy human grade meat.

I switched recently from $100/bag Proplan to $25-30 Great Barko as it was only feed I could get to keep weight on my dogs. So give that a try and see for yourself you may save some money. As is new to NSW market it is a bit hard to find a store but you can ring the NSW/Qld rep on 0418855360. :laugh:

Watch meat from pet supplies though as it sometimes has lots of preservatives in it. I buy human grade meat.

I was wondering about what made pet food look so red for so long. Is there any without too much preservatives?

I think the standard might like those chicken carcasses. Now I know where to get them :laugh: .

Guest Clover

I can feed my guys (1 rottie x, 2 Border Collies & 1 JRT pup) for about $40 a fortnight. They are eating...

Mince - beef, chicken, lamb etc W/ vegies mixed in

Chicken frames, necks, legs and wings (Sometimes whole chickens if i can get them cheap, just cut them up myself)

Offal of all sorts, and pork & turkey when i can get it cheap enough.

Yougurt & sardines

Glucosamine, cod liver oil tabs, Livamol & flaxseed powder mixed in most meals.

The pup also has dry food (euk and eagle pack) and a bit of natures gift tin puppy food for breaky.

Just addding to the other great suggestions.....I'm in Melbourne and I find the Preston Market is the cheapest place for raw meat. Prices are usually chicken necks $1.20 kg, lamb shanks or necks 6 for $10, bags of rib bones a couple of dollars. Even cheaper if you go at the end of the day. And if you become a regular some of the stall holders give you special deals!! :D Vegies are also cheap up there.