Puppy Peeing On Things

Asalei

Well, the puppies seem to be toilet trained as far as not peeing and pooing on the ground inside.. BUT, if there's a blanket (read: their blanket) or their bed on the ground, they seem to pee in them.

Is this a common step in toilet training? They seem to have gotten the concept of peeing and pooing outside, but if there's something on the ground, it gets pee'd on.

Does anyone have any advice for getting the puppies to stop peeing in their beds and on blankets? I'm forever washing their beds because they keep peeing in them. I bought them some new blankets today to keep them warm during the cold nights, and I had them on the ground for them to lie on, and they pee'd on them ;)

Any suggestions for the norti puppies? :S

Yep, been through this one.

I bought all the nice warm blankets, etc. and found I was washing them every day.

After the blankets I tried newspapers and found they got shredded overnight and I had pick up all the little pieces the next day which was worse than washing the blanket.

Next step, I took everything away and they couldn't make a mess or pee on anything.

Did that for about 2-3 mths then reintroduced the blankets and they didn't pee on them anymore.

Now they just chew little holes in the blankets overnight so their blankets look like swiss cheese - ah well, its polar fleece and relatively cheap to replace every 3mths when there are more holes than blanket!! ;)

Thanks for your response saltwood, I could take away the blankets no problem, but they also pee in their beds as well.

I couldn't take their beds away!! I couldn't be so cruel as to make them sleep on cold tiles ;) I was hoping there was a way to make them stop without taking things away. I'm willing to take their blankets away, but not their beds.. They'd have nothing to sleep on.

As for not leaving things out for them to pee on, I leave the things there because they are THEIR blankets they lie on.. not just "something" left on the ground. There's nothing else lying on the ground. I was hoping it was something they'd grow out of :laugh:

Erin, try this as I am sure they will grow out of it but you have to deal with their behaviour in the Meantime.

Rather than have their Beds at Ground or low level, look at ways of raising the Beds.Also put something old out there on Ground level that they have been peeing on.This will help them initally to make a distinction between Bed and something else. Tony

Ahhhh, I crate my dogs in really BIG separate crates of a night time so when I take the bedding away they still have the plastic base to sleep on so we differ there.

Oh and once they start that kind of thing it does take some time for them to 'hopefully' grow out of it. Dogs seem to do it for different reasons, one being to mark their territory.

So if you leave them with material bedding that absorbs the urine you will either be washing it every night or letting them sleep in a wet smelly bed. ;)

You could try giving them the shadecloth hammock beds - they can't wee successfully on them and they can be used inside and outside.

See, dogs are creatures of habit and once they start that kind of behaviour they then have to 'unlearn' it - and that takes time plus you have to remove the desire to continue with the undesireable habit.

Sorry , but you have 2 beagle girls and you got them out of the same litter and at the same time. They are marking their spot ,they rather this smell than washng powder and its not an easy chore to get them to stop .Sackbeds are good but they will still wee on it . Keep your eye open for other signs as well that they are trying to work out who is going to be boss cocky . Do you intend getting them desexed and if so when ?

What do you mean by "Sorry , but you have 2 beagle girls and you got them out of the same litter and at the same time."

They've already established who's boss and we dont try and feed that ones ego by making them think they are are that much higher than the other. It's very obvious in their playing and behaviour who's the boss.

We will be getting them desexed when they are about 6 months old. We aren't in this to make money, nor to pass on the recessive defect genes that have come through in our pups. One has a bent tail and they both have extra cartlidge in their ears.

At the moment they are 19 weeks old, we plan to get them desexed in mid July when we both have a week off work after our wedding and can be home with them.

We bought the puppies as pets and companions... they were never purchased for any other reason other than this.

Oh this brings back memories. Yes it is possesive behaviour. When I had beagles they would regularly widdle on their beds - that is if they hadn't already destroyed them. I used to use hessian bags as they were the cheapest to replace. Make sure they stay away from your own bed!

I would feel sorry for my dogs in winter and give them a warm blanket, only to have it totally destroyed in a few days - unappreciative little monsters. Changing breeds has saved me fortunes in bedding and cleaning.

Good luck with your beautiful girls. Hopefully things will settle down when they are desexed and more mature.

badboyz, we haven't really let them onto our bed as when we got them, one of the things the vet said was to not let them on your bed. That's one big no no in the whole teaching them who's leader thing. I think there's only been twice that I've put them onto the bed when my OH is asleep to wake him up. Both times they have pee'd on the quilt. Never again.

They haven't destroyed their bedding though? They've had 2 beds since we bought them home and one of them is too small now for them to sleep in, but they still try! :rainbowbridge:

Beagle owners really need a sense of humour. They are so cute but so mischievious and have such a zest for life. You will get much joy and quite a bit of frustration with your gorgeous girls. But who could not forgive faces like that!

When I said sorry - it was because this is how beagle girls are and there's little you will be able to do to prevent it . When you take them out of the same litter at the same time it adds a different dimension . When I asked if they were desexed and when you were intending to get it done it wasnt to accuse you of anything but it was because beagle girls change around desexing time and this is when you may see the less dominant dog standing her ground and having a go to be top dog and the other refusing to stand aside.

You will be seeing who's the boss now but that wont remain constant and piddling on their spot is all part of telling the other one to nick off.

Steve, is getting them out of the same litter a big factor is it? Sorry, I'm just not aware of this, that's why I was questioning what you meant. :laugh: I didn't mean to sound defensive, just wasn't sure exactly what you were saying.

It's interesting to know that it may change once they are desexed, I can't see Leia (less dominant now) being the dominant one, she's like the dopier one and Sally (dominant now) is the smart one. :rainbowbridge:

They will be getting desexed around 6 months as that's when the vets have told us it would be good to do. Some won't do it previous to this age, some will. We decided to wait till they were a little older before getting them desexed.

No money making here, just lots of loving cuddles and mischevious trouble ;)

No you making money or breeding them is the last thing I was thinking of. Each time I have kept 2 girls from one litter they sass each other out over everything all of their lives . Each time I have allowed litter sisters go home together Ive had a problem.

Let me tell you about one.

The people had owned beagles before - 2 of them- but they came in at different times .I sold two little girls to them and for the first 6 months everything was perfect . There was one dominant and the other not . I was getting weekly updates and chats , photos and everything was great . Then the girls were desexed when they were almost 6 months old and they began to fight . The owner rang me and we talked and I advised her of some things she could do . It got worse so that when ever a human was arund they would beat each other up to keep the other away. The lady rang again and said she couldnt handle it so I advised her to get some help from an expert . She did this and I didnt hear any more fro a few weeks. next email said " Th egirls will be arriving at Wagga airport on Thursday - all papers will be with them. Please pick them up as we can no longer live with their bickering. - Ive never heard another word from this lady - didnt even call to ask if Id picked them up O.K.

I kept them here for 4 months to assess them and to me they were pretty normal beagles except that they hadnt yet wred out who was going to stay boss . It kept changing from one day to the next. Anyway , alone they were perfect , but together horrible . They went to new homes. One in Canberra and one around Lake Macquarie and they have lived happily ever after .

This made me more aware of the whloe pack thing with beagles and I wont send two at a time home again . Im not saying that this sort of thing will happen with yours but the peeing on the blankets is typical of what mine do here to mark their spot As they get older they'll wee where the food bowl has been and any place else they want dibs on

If any of my beagles are going to get into a punch up - its always sisters first.So yes there may be a factor involved in getting them from the same litter and its my experience it may be a bit more of a challenge as they get older.

badboyz, we haven't really let them onto our bed as when we got them, one of the things the vet said was to not let them on your bed. That's one big no no in the whole teaching them who's leader thing. I think there's only been twice that I've put them onto the bed when my OH is asleep to wake him up. Both times they have pee'd on the quilt. Never again.

;) :laugh: Your vet would think we're mad then - both our boys sleep with us - hasn't been a peeing incident on the bed since they were teeny pups, and they were forgiven becuase they were teeny pups and it's obviously OUR fault for not taking them out sooner! Although Keg was a defiant wee-er for a bit there :o

I've never had either of our guys pee on their beds (the outside ones or the ones in the car), or chew them. But now that Keg is coming on to being a 2 year old :o he's decided to pee in Indy's bowl every so often. Blimey, he's accurate! :rainbowbridge:

Solution? Take the bowl away :rolleyes:

No you making money or breeding them is the last thing I was thinking of. Each time I have kept 2 girls from one litter they sass each other out over everything all of their lives . Each time I have allowed litter sisters go home together Ive had a problem.

Let me tell you about one.

The people had owned beagles before - 2 of them- but they came in at different times .I sold two little girls to them and for the first 6 months everything was perfect . There was one dominant and the other not . I was getting weekly updates and chats , photos and everything was great . Then the girls were desexed when they were almost 6 months old and they began to fight . The owner rang me and we talked and I advised her of some things she could do . It got worse so that when ever a human was arund they would beat each other up to keep the other away. The lady rang again and said she couldnt handle it so I advised her to get some help from an expert . She did this and I didnt hear any more fro a few weeks. next email said " Th egirls will be arriving at Wagga airport on Thursday - all papers will be with them. Please pick them up as we can no longer live with their bickering. - Ive never heard another word from this lady - didnt even call to ask if Id picked them up O.K.

I kept them here for 4 months to assess them and to me they were pretty normal beagles except that they hadnt yet wred out who was going to stay boss . It kept changing from one day to the next. Anyway , alone they were perfect , but together horrible . They went to new homes. One in Canberra and one around Lake Macquarie and they have lived happily ever after .

This made me more aware of the whloe pack thing with beagles and I wont send two at a time home again . Im not saying that this sort of thing will happen with yours but the peeing on the blankets is typical of what mine do here to mark their spot As they get older they'll wee where the food bowl has been and any place else they want dibs on

If any of my beagles are going to get into a punch up - its always sisters first.So yes there may be a factor involved in getting them from the same litter and its my experience it may be a bit more of a challenge as they get older.

Wow Steve, thanks for the heads up. There was only one person who warned us about getting two girls and the reasoning was that they will fight till death and not stop.. That scared me a little but no one else mentioned this. That's pretty scary reading what you wrote :rolleyes:

Do you have any tips for us to start doing to try and help with this situation when they grow older? We don't try and favour either of them as we're aware that if we do, they may see this and react to it by fighting for our attention.

I'm gob smacked.. I really hope that doesn't happen!

Steve, is getting them out of the same litter a big factor is it? Sorry, I'm just not aware of this, that's why I was questioning what you meant. ;) I didn't mean to sound defensive, just wasn't sure exactly what you were saying.

It's interesting to know that it may change once they are desexed, I can't see Leia (less dominant now) being the dominant one, she's like the dopier one and Sally (dominant now) is the smart one. :rolleyes:

They will be getting desexed around 6 months as that's when the vets have told us it would be good to do. Some won't do it previous to this age, some will. We decided to wait till they were a little older before getting them desexed.

No money making here, just lots of loving cuddles and mischevious trouble :rolleyes:

My dogs are 3.5 and 2 years old. (different sexes) Since day one, the older one, (male) has been top dog. No problems, everything is fine.

It has been the last month or so that i have noticed the bitch starting to stand up to him, not in big ways, but little things. She now humps him while playing, she will take a toy off him, when before she would NEVER do that. she has been here since 4 months old.

My last dog was 11 when we got the bulldog puppy, everything was great, told boy was top dog. One day they had a massive fight, and from then on, it was the other way around. It took us longer to accept it, then the dogs!! I wanted my old boy to come first, but we ended up working that the dogs were ok with it, so we had to be.

Things can change with them, and i have heard that 2 females can be more trouble? (Kaos is my first girl dog, so i really dont know much about that!)

Best of luck, i hope you work it all out. Thankfully my dogs dont pee inside, or on their bedding! It would drive me mad

Oh, also, mine both sleep in bed with me, i believe it only causes a problem if you have a dog pushing the issue of who is boss. I kicked At out for a while when he was getting a bit bossy with me, but now things are back on track, he is in bed with me again :eek:

Oh, also, mine both sleep in bed with me, i believe it only causes a problem if you have a dog pushing the issue of who is boss. I kicked At out for a while when he was getting a bit bossy with me, but now things are back on track, he is in bed with me again :eek:

Yep, I agree, TB. There's no pushing the issue of who's boss in bed - they are :rolleyes: And you'd think a king size would be big enough :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Erin, you'll probably have to be extra vigilant with your girls to enforce discipline (not physically, but the who's boss issue). Being beagles they're less likely to really get stuck into each other, but not having two girls, especially of the same age and littermates, I can't say for sure.

Good luck!

Now, more photos ;)

Haha, we are off to the beach again this Saturday and our engagement photo shoot (better late than never!!) so hopefully I'll have a few more nice photos to show you :rolleyes:

Thinking also about the peeing on a bed to mark territory, Sally (more dominant one) seems to be the one peeing on it most of the time. I can't say I ever thought of that!!

So far they play fight a lot and they've only had one major biff and that was over a pigs ear.. I had to intervene in that one.

One on one beagles wont fight to the death and the best advice I can offer is to get the hell out of the mix and let them sort it out themselves . The more you interfer and try to stop a show down the longer they have the issues . Better to let them go and sort it all out. They never really hurt each other so just let them do what comes naturally .