Minor (very Very Minor) Brag

I am happy to say it was worth MrsD and me getting up at 5.30 :( yesterday and today to go to the Belgian Shepherd Dog Club of Queensland herding trial.

Ebony and Jonty and Jarrah have all now passed their two required Herding Instinct Tests. :thumbsup:

Well - I did say it was minor. I think we can now say the dogs are qualified to recognise the sheep and be interested in the sheep whilst showing no tendency to want to destroy the sheep :)

Cheers,

DagBoy

Good on ya! I like the Belgians... they are a tough bunch... they don't use Malinois in the US Army for nothing. Although I do lament that they made Dobes "obsolete" - I still like looking at pics of Dobes with US Marines in WW2.

"...Some of the dogs made the supreme sacrifice. They lie buried in the Marine Dog Cemetery on the island of Guam. The graves are marked with small headstones and a plaque."

udc2.jpg

marines.jpg

Thanx everyone!

I got lots of very positive comments about both my boys, particularly Jonty whom everyone just loved - he's been dubbed Rocket or Pocket Rocket (I think that was Larry who owns Cody that started that off Hesa :D ) because he's so fast & has absolutey no fear :rofl: . The judge described him as "a rottweiler in a sheltie body" :( & wrote some excellent comments on his evaluation form.

CTD, I know everyone says it's really easy & all your dog has to do is show "interest" in the sheep (well at least that's what I was told by people before the day :) ), but both judges we had on the weekend wanted to see more than that. With my dogs at least, they wanted to see the dogs balancing the stock & yesterday's judge wanted to see the dog actually moving the stock around (which was just a little bit hard in a tiny round yard :o ). She kept yelling at me "Just keep walking - I want to see the dog bring the sheep to you" :( . Good luck with yours CTD, from what I've seen of Tia I dont think you will have any problems, as you said just make sure you have a good stop. I dont think either judge thought I would be able to stop my 2 (one told the property owner (who is also our herding instructor) that she thought he might have to go in there & crash tackle them to the ground :p ) but was very impressed when I did & commented on how responsive they both were.

Anyway, it was alot of fun & the herding bug has definitely bitten :rofl::rofl: .

I dont think either judge thought I would be able to stop my 2 (one told the property owner (who is also our herding instructor) that she thought he might have to go in there & crash tackle them to the ground :D ) but was very impressed when I did

Did you crash tackle your dogs to the ground??? LOL

Did you crash tackle your dogs to the ground??? LOL

:o Could you imagine poor Jonty if I had, he'd be a pancake Sheltie :):( , nahhh I used conventional methods - well this time anyway :( , once in training 2 of us had to corner & block him in & make a grab for him though :D .

Anyway, it was alot of fun & the herding bug has definitely bitten :eek: :cool: .

You poor soul. If you are like me, everything in your life will change. Home, vehicles, lifestyle, normal????? friends who think you are possessed.

Getting up at 5.30 to travel to a trial or training. Well..........you get used to it. :confused:

Anyway, it was alot of fun & the herding bug has definitely bitten :eek::eek: .

You poor soul. If you are like me, everything in your life will change. Home, vehicles, lifestyle, normal????? friends who think you are possessed.

Getting up at 5.30 to travel to a trial or training. Well..........you get used to it. :confused:

Everything had basically already changed anyway - it's just the early mornings that take a bit of getting used to :D . Im not so bad, but Dagboy is NOT a morning person - even if he gets up at 10am let alone 5.30 :cool: .

Congratulations! :p

Early mornings, long drives and lots of coffee are part of the deal :(

Thanx Mooper - actually the earlymornings/long drives comment reminds me of my trip to Canberra. Still cant believe my friend kept getting me up at 3.30am to get to the show - 5.30 for herding seems like a sleep in in comparison :) .