Calming Pup Down

Flying Penguin

My lot seem to often have a brief bit of psycho at that time. Exercise in the arvo as said could help, or you could have a play with your pup and then she should sleep well afterwards.

I use the time to do a bit of inside drive training with my Kelpie, just a bit of asking her to do a few things in "high rev" mode, and she gets her ball or tug for them. Or if I'm doing something else, since I have more than one dog, I can let them play with each other.

What games does your pup enjoy? You may be able to do a bit of play-that-is-also-training with her, and both benefit.

I've read that sometimes dogs can get hyper as a reaction to their diet. If she's not like that at other times of the day, though, it's not that.

Pups don't need long walks (especially not larger breeds), but a short one is great for settling- lots to sniff, hear, see etc.

Our beagle is the same, he is 7 months old. We take him to the park after work and let him run around and play with other dogs, then when we get home we have our dinner then give him his, but after that he just won't settle. Maybe its his dinner making him hyper and giving him more energy, but we've been having some dominance issues with him and so we're really trying to feed him after us, but then its too late to really take him anywhere........

So I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts!!

ok here is what I do,

I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to my dog inside. If my pup even gets into second gear, I give a stern QUIET, if he slows down he gets a crazy amount of praise (he is still a pup , so everything is over the top), if he doesn't comply he is scooped up with a stern NO and placed outside and door closed. No discussion and nothing more said.

I leave him out side for about 15 mins, then we try again.

My Staffy is 21 weeks and is as calm as church mouse inside. (He will only forget at the most once a week now). I can say QUIET when outside and he slows down straight away, I rarely do this as I believe he should be able to run around to his hearts content in the backyard, unless there is an important reason for him to calm down.

Cheers

Roo

Our beagle is the same, he is 7 months old. We take him to the park after work and let him run around and play with other dogs, then when we get home we have our dinner then give him his, but after that he just won't settle. Maybe its his dinner making him hyper and giving him more energy, but we've been having some dominance issues with him and so we're really trying to feed him after us, but then its too late to really take him anywhere........

So I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts!!

How many times a day do you feed him? If it is once, try and feed him in the mornings just so you can see if there is a difference. If you feed him twice a day, make his nightly meal the smaller one, again just to see if it is the food that may be hypering him up

Edited by Roo

Our puppies do this too but seem to grow out of it at around 12 months or so, depends on the breed. Adelaide may be a bit cold this time of year (Love adel. grew up there) but maybe a play outside for half hour would help. If not, an inside play (depends on your rules). Ours tear around before bed, then collapse for the night. I sit outside with them while they play unless the weather is bad, then it's indoors.

Human kids seem to have a mad half hour in the evenings too, as do my cats.!!!!! A MAD house. :rolleyes: