Royal Canin Dry Food Recall

Ashka

Royal Canin have decided to voluntarily remove the following dry pet food products that contain rice protein concentrate due to the presence of a melamine derivative.

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

Dry Dog Food

- Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior

- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy

- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult

- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior

- Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available only in veterinary clinics)

Dry Dog Food

- Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™

- Canine Skin Support SS21™

Dry Cat Food

- Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

We are taking this proactive stance to voluntarily recall these products to avoid any confusion for our customers about which Royal Canin USA products are safe and which products may be affected.

Pet owners should immediately stop feeding their pets the Royal Canin USA dry pet food products listed above. Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet. No other Royal Canin diets are affected by this recall and CONTINUE TO BE safe for pets to eat.

In addition, Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of our vegetable proteins.

http://www.petconnection.com/index.php

That makes three that have recalled due to rice protein concentrate contamination: Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Royal Canin. We still don’t know who the other two companies were who received the contaminated rice protein powder - and the FDA knows and won’t say.

As some have suggested that I have some Pet food affiliations I don't. I'm just a 61 year old gran of 5 with one Cavalier and an interest in the crap used to make so called good quality pet food. Bottom Line, I don't want to see any more pets poisoned.

Edited by Ashka

It doesn't say if this product range has been exported to Australia...where can we find this information? :(

I bought a bag of RC for Lilly b/c of the move/trip...now I'm very concerned. It's the only processed food she tolerates. :(

Look t the bag to see where it's made. Most of Royal Canin available in Australia is from Europe not US.

SnT what does that mean, early cardiac.....????

My 2 cats are fed on RC, is that what the contamination causes? Cardiac problems?

One of my 16 year old cats has heart problems that is why i put her on RC :(:(

Nah, they have a food that is specially made for dogs showing signs of early heart disease. It's not available here in Oz.

Mel.

It doesn't say if this product range has been exported to Australia...where can we find this information? :)

I bought a bag of RC for Lilly b/c of the move/trip...now I'm very concerned. It's the only processed food she tolerates. :)

Look t the bag to see where it's made. Most of Royal Canin available in Australia is from Europe not US.

If I had the bag, I would look at it. But we had to move the food into a plastic container for the trip so I threw the bag away before we moved out of the house. It's on a rubbish tip in the ACT somewhere.

So can anyone direct me to a website for Australian-available RC so I can figure out if what I've bought is on the recall list?

Ok i just rang royal canin again.. i had rang them about 4 weeks ago when they had a big recall on some food... she tells me she hasnt heard anything about this but they are going to ring me back... if anyone wants to ring them i found there number its

1800 622 969

Cheers

I will edit once i know more

Ok edit cos they rang me back... The rep told me the royal canin in AUS has nothing to do with whats going on over in the US.. royal canin we get here in AUS (imported) are from France not the US.... So the royal canin we have here in AUS are safe... Amen

Edited by Daxhound

Ok i just rang royal canin again.. i had rang them about 4 weeks ago when they had a big recall on some food... she tells me she hasnt heard anything about this but they are going to ring me back... if anyone wants to ring them i found there number its

1800 622 969

Cheers

I will edit once i know more

Ok edit cos they rang me back... The rep told me the royal canin in AUS has nothing to do with whats going on over in the US.. royal canin we get here in AUS (imported) are from France not the US.... So the royal canin we have here in AUS are safe... Amen

oh great, was about to buy some but holding it off. Two of my colleagues are feeding royal canin and we can compare notes.

Edited by flycow

Isn't there a recall on Royal Canin in South Africa as well??

I wonder where THAT food is from.

I find it scary that the rep had heard nothing about the American recalls! One would think they would know what is going on in their own industry when its all over the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

it looks like some more royal canine products have been recalled

http://www.itchmo.com/

from the itchmo site :

"Update: RC quietly changed the recall dates involved. Please click on the link above for the latest."

FDA warns their own staff about cancer risk when inspecting melamine-tainted foods. Meanwhile, public is assured melamine-tainted foods are safe. :)http://www.itchmo.com/read/fda-melamine-su...-risks_20070509

Edited by larry

hi daxhound

i wonder why the usa royal canine used some chinese vegetable proteins to cut costs, but the european guys didn't ?

if they had a reason not to, then why didn't the usa operation also do the same ?