Mushy Poo...advice Please

For the last week or 2 my puppy has been doing mushy poos and I don't know why. He has Nutro biscuits for breakfast (boiled water to make as mush) and for dinner has dry Nutro combined with carrots and chicken or beef mince. This has been pretty-much his diet all along since I got him 6 months ago.

The only thing Ive changed recently was to soften his Nutro breakfast biscuits but surely that wouldn't cause this? I don't feed him any el-cheapo tinned food and he seems to like his Nutro biscuits. I do give him on average one schmacko a day as part of his rewards for training.

His poos are like thick pumpkin soup. Most are light brown in colour (chicken-based diet). It's not diarrhea, but nor are they compact stools like he used to always do. This morning he did one tidy stool and next to it as part of the same poo was a mushy part. Weird!

I apologise for the graphic descritpions. Hopefully someone may know whats causing this.

Edited by samoyedman

Sounds like he is reacting to one of the foods - expressing a food intolerance. Softening biscuits won't make a difference to bowel motions. You need to stop all the treats and put him on a bland diet. Hop online later.

From what you described it sounds likely to be canine colitis.

My Ruby suffers from this ailment, and when particularly bad the poor baby even has bloody mushy stools.

I have Ruby on a diet of Tuckertime because of the colitis. I am 80% sure she is allergic to beef products, but also sometimes gets a bout if I feed her raw chicken.

It is a process of elimination as to ascertain what the dog may be allergic to, so in my case I have just stuck with feeding her 'Tuckertime' (only avail from selected vets) Chicken and Veg variety as the Three Meats still causes her to have the bouts of colitis, and she has never had a problem since.

Does the pup also seem to be uncomfortable at all, like doing doggy prayer stretches? If so, the poor tum is prob giving the pup grief also.

Hope this helps a little. It sounds exactly what Ruby was doing a couple of yrs back...

Edited by fiery_di

He does a lot of prayer stretches...and what I call "burps" as well. Its when he looks like he is about to throw up something but stops.

About 2-3 weeks ago I started him on beef mince. But that stopped 5 days ago. If he is allergic to beef, he wouldn't still be doing mushies now would he?

I don't think its the chicken mince. He's always had that in the past.

Edited by samoyedman

Doesn't matter what he's had in the past. He's at the prime age to develop food intolerances.

Could be anything at all - chicken or beef. What's the protein source in Nutro?

Had a massive colitis flare here overnight. Vomitted three times, pooing blood and refusing to eat. Dandy :wave:

He does a lot of prayer stretches...and what I call "burps" as well. Its when he looks like he is about to throw up something but stops.

About 2-3 weeks ago I started him on beef mince. But that stopped 5 days ago. If he is allergic to beef, he wouldn't still be doing mushies now would he?

I don't think its the chicken mince. He's always had that in the past.

When the bowel system is inflamed it can take a good 1-2 weeks for it to normalise again, so my opinion on that would be that it is possible that the beef has affected him... and wont get back to normal until the cause of allergic reaction is completely out of the system and on a diet that can be tolerated.

Boiled rice would probably be the safest option at this stage until his system has settled right down again, then perhaps seek your vets advice as to putting him onto a diff diet such as the Tuckertime - 2kg roll costs approx $13

I have returned from the vet and she has given me Metrogyl in case he has an infection/blockage and put him on boiled rice/chicken for a week.

I forgot to mention before he is doing stop-start poos now. He will do a little bit then stop, move, then try and squeeze out more etc. But he isn't in any pain or anything and is as high-energy as ever.

I dont know if its relevant but lately he's taken to chewing and eating sticks.

I have returned from the vet and she has given me Metrogyl in case he has an infection/blockage and put him on boiled rice/chicken for a week.

I forgot to mention before he is doing stop-start poos now. He will do a little bit then stop, move, then try and squeeze out more etc. But he isn't in any pain or anything and is as high-energy as ever.

I dont know if its relevant but lately he's taken to chewing and eating sticks.

Sounds exactly like what my Ruby was doing.

Well keep us updated. Until you know the root of the problem it is going to be a case of trial and error.

With Ruby I basically have to thoroughly scan all food products that I potentially buy her now. Anything with protein has to be checked whether it is a chicken OR beef protein source.

AND dont fall under the trap just because it says 'chicken' or 'chicken flavoured' that it only has that said product in it. I was buying chicken mince only to find out it had beef by-products in it. ALWAYS check the ingredients as most dog products have some sort of beef by-product in them. I had to learn this the hard way.

Can I jump in on your thread too?? I was about to post to ask an almost identical question.

Angus gets the mushy stinky poos everytime he has a bone and does the stop start thing.

He gets feed RC Giant and a mix of rice/mince/chicken/vegetables or fresh puppy mince.

The stop start thing is pretty indicative of colitis. Of course what the colitis is caused by is anyone's guess. Often dog's who have loose poops don't have much of a tolerance for fats in their diet. Fat is inflammatory to an already upset intestine. The boiled chicken breast, fat removed and rice diet is ideal as long as the dog isn't intolerant of those two ingredients. Hope the meds help.

My Cavalier had exactly the same thing. The same medications and put her on a chicken and rice diet. This made it worse. Finally clicked that it might be the chicken, then put her on fish and potato for abot 5 days and gave her slippery elm to help her bowel. This fixed her and now no chicken and no yellow, foamy, mucosy poos :wave:

Before you have a heap of tests done, it could be just a tummy bug get some 'Direa' tablets first and use them for a couple of days and see if things settle down. I have found they are brilliant. Can be got at produce store or vets, and yes that is the correct spelling! :cry:

My dog was also had the same symptons as samoyedman's dog about a few weeks ago. Was told to put hoim on chicken and rice and I found that it made his poo worse. I have eliminated chicken from his diet and now give him lamb and his poo has been solid ever since. he is also on Nutro, but I have never had any problems with that.