Ring Worm In Dogs

I've just discovered what is almost certainly a ringworm on my dogs ear. He is a Cavalier, and its on the inside part of his ear. After researching it online, I now recognise a similar problem on my cat. Is there a simple home remedy? I have some ointment left over from an ear infection that my dog had. Would it help to put this on it? It is an antifungal ointment. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Go to your pharmacy and ask for an antifungal treatment for ringworm. Anything with Ketokonazole will work.

Really Calliech? Is this as effective as the antibiotics you get at the vet/ Not being a smarty pants, am geninely interested.

If this is the go, I's be interested in future situations for my fosters. May save a few bucks and be just as effective, not to mention avoid vet appointment which could be used for other visits or more needy animals, if a quick trip to the pharmacist is all it takes, cool.

ringworm is a fungus so you should get some anti fungal stuff like canestan (sp?). Treat both the dog and cat. Also this stuff spreads to humans as well so you might have to treat other family for it as well. As soon as you see the red rashy thing use the cream.

Now. Here's the other thing to remember.

Once the ringworm is gone visibly you need to continue treatment. The fungus remains for a week or two after you stop seeing it. If you dont continue the treatment it will come back, and it will get nasty.

ps. I had this problem with my rodents and my dogs in the past. OF course stupid rash came onto my arm. took like a month to get rid of it!

Edited by arby

From memory when i bred cats.. thank GOD my dogs were safe.. Sporonox works wonders you need to go to your VET as them to write out a script for people sporonox.. then you have to find a chemist that will sell you animal based scripts.. meaning a script from your vet.. so ringing around helps. Are you in Victoria? If you are I might be able to assist you with whom you can get in touch with. If not sorry!

BUT wait for it... it costs (well the cheapest we found it for) $180.00 for a small bottle... and i mean small i think about 500mls

BUT it works.. ALSO you will need to bleach EVERYTHING!!!

GO to your VET ask for the stuff they use to disinfect their floors hands etc.. it’s also expensive.. I also ordered some stuff from the USA but I would have to hunt for the name of it! If I find the site I will send it to you.

if your pets are indoor pets.. start the scrubbing AND sunshine works to kill anything BUT you will need to bleach... GET really fussy and strict who comes in and out.. people who come in you will need to warn them.. Remember ringworms are contagious! It's a fungal AND takes for ever to rid.. TIme AND LOTS OF WORK!!!

I had 7 cats at one stage and all were hit because the neighbours daughter wanted to play with my kittens.. later found out that she has a huge ringworm on her..

AS for treating yourself.. canastine cream and for your clothes.. Canastine wash expensive but great! IF you see them on you.. wash your hands AND close your pets off until it's all treated.. it's horrible stuff!!!

Believe me it's NOT something to be mucked around with.

Edited by madboutgsd

AS for treating yourself.. canastine cream and for your clothes.. Canastine wash expensive but great! IF you see them on you.. wash your hands AND close your pets off until it's all treated.. it's horrible stuff!!!

Believe me it's NOT something to be mucked around with.

totally agree.

If you want a good way to kill things from clothing and bedding. Heres what to do

(this is coming from my microbiology asceptic techniques hehe)

1. soak the bedding in bleach

2. wash with canestane in wash liquid

3. Dry in the sun

4. steam iron

the combination of all things kills of everything in the material

Go to your pharmacy and ask for an antifungal treatment for ringworm. Anything with Ketokonazole will work.

Really Calliech? Is this as effective as the antibiotics you get at the vet/ Not being a smarty pants, am geninely interested.

If this is the go, I's be interested in future situations for my fosters. May save a few bucks and be just as effective, not to mention avoid vet appointment which could be used for other visits or more needy animals, if a quick trip to the pharmacist is all it takes, cool.

Oh yes indeed. Many over the counter pharmacy preparations are quite fine for your dog or cat. This only applies to topical treatments such as creams and sprays. The fungus that causes ringworm most commonly Microsporum canis is contagious and can and will be passed on to humans. In fact I had a little boy come in to see me not long ago who had a very bad ringworm infection on his scalp which had progressed so far that topical treatments would not work. Dogs can get a generalised skin condition called Malassezia dermatitis which very interestingly is treated with exactly the same antibiotic as humans, Nizoral. My home kit for my dogs consists of mainly pharmacy preparations eg Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo, Selsun blue, betadine ointment, bactram cream, paraderm plus, elma cream, daktarin spray and tincture, canestan cream and lamisil. Anything oral however must be obtained from your vet and this especially applies to cats. My dogs usually hurt themselves or avluse a toenail or get a toe infection outside of vet office hours so I apply various preparations of the above, call my vet and tell them what I've done and organise to see them in the morning. That way they don't have to get called out in the middle of the night and I don't have a call out fee. If the problem is too big then I have to go straight away but fortunately I'm usually only faced with cuts and abrasions. When I get to the vet with the problem and tell them what I've done, they say that's all they'd have done also and perhaps give antibiotics depending on what has happened.

If you want a good way to kill things from clothing and bedding. Heres what to do

(this is coming from my microbiology asceptic techniques hehe)

1. soak the bedding in bleach

2. wash with canestane in wash liquid

3. Dry in the sun

4. steam iron

the combination of all things kills of everything in the material

Gosh am I SO glad that is over with.... mine took 10 weeks OF hard work... everyday of cleaning and doing all these steps..

How right is that... the steam Iron did wonders.. but on some of the stuff i couldn't kill I threw out

Oh yes indeed. Many over the counter pharmacy preparations are quite fine for your dog or cat. This only applies to topical treatments such as creams and sprays. The fungus that causes ringworm most commonly Microsporum canis is contagious and can and will be passed on to humans. In fact I had a little boy come in to see me not long ago who had a very bad ringworm infection on his scalp which had progressed so far that topical treatments would not work. Dogs can get a generalised skin condition called Malassezia dermatitis which very interestingly is treated with exactly the same antibiotic as humans, Nizoral. My home kit for my dogs consists of mainly pharmacy preparations eg Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo, Selsun blue, betadine ointment, bactram cream, paraderm plus, elma cream, daktarin spray and tincture, canestan cream and lamisil. Anything oral however must be obtained from your vet and this especially applies to cats. My dogs usually hurt themselves or avluse a toenail or get a toe infection outside of vet office hours so I apply various preparations of the above, call my vet and tell them what I've done and organise to see them in the morning. That way they don't have to get called out in the middle of the night and I don't have a call out fee. If the problem is too big then I have to go straight away but fortunately I'm usually only faced with cuts and abrasions. When I get to the vet with the problem and tell them what I've done, they say that's all they'd have done also and perhaps give antibiotics depending on what has happened.

Thanks, Calliech! I have just made a word doc out of this so I can now go and get a pet first aid kit going. Thank you! :eek:

This is VERY interesting!!!! My mum's Pom has some skin irritations... flies AND not to mention them pesty fleas BUT i might have to read about some of your little ideas AND see if it's worth trying on her.. poor thing is on antibotics all the time and i feel so sorry for her. I used to use Dermacol on her but it's no longer to be found.. thank you for the indepth details. some might be worth trying out. (well if applicable)

PS i too added it into a word document! lol

Edited by madboutgsd

This is VERY interesting!!!! My mum's Pom has some skin irritations... flies AND not to mention them pesty fleas BUT i might have to read about some of your little ideas AND see if it's worth trying on her.. poor thing is on antibotics all the time and i feel so sorry for her. I used to use Dermacol on her but it's no longer to be found.. thank you for the indepth details. some might be worth trying out. (well if applicable)

Just remember not to use anything that will sting or you wouldn't use on yourself eg peroxide, tea tree oil, dettol. Paraderm plus cream is quite a saviour for the dreaded insect bites. It contains an antiseptic as well as a topical anaethetic so it's soothing too.

ok....I got Iodine spray from the pet supply store (good for treating ringworm in cats, dogs & even horses!), Canesten laundry rinse and Anti fungal cream from the chemist (the cream is for humans, just in case we get one). I've put some Iodine on the sores on both cat and dog. When do I start cleaning everything? I will wash the dogs bedding etc. but he also sleeps on an old fabric chair out the back, how do I disinfect that? Thanks for everyones advice so far.

If it is not a hot spot, and actually IS a ringworm, then smother it in lemon juice & paint it over with clear nail polish.

OMG!! nail polish! I won't be trying that

Well that is up to you, shame though as it is fast & effective. It smothers the organism & it dies, end of story. As for their being chemicals in nail polish, this remedy is in a Natural therapies book! More chemicals in all the flea/tick/worming treatments than anything else!

Very helpful thread as I just picked up a pup from Blacktown Pound with suspected ringworm.

Took her straight to the vet who did the blue light thing but couldn't confirm it was actually ringworm. He is growing a culture though and I should hear in a few days if it is that or something else.

I have been given a bottle of Dermotic ear and skin suspension to rub on evry 12 hours.

Interestingly, the vet said that ringworm in dogs is not as contagious as in cats and that the edge of the site is where the spores are active and contagious.

He said nothing about bleaching clothes etc though I am to handle the pup as little as possible and apply the cream wearing rubber gloves. Also to keep washing my hands in disinfectants.

Would be interested in hearing your opinions on this.

Of course the pup is naturally being kept quarantined in case of parvo anyway regardless of the ringworm or other skin infection.

Very helpful thread as I just picked up a pup from Blacktown Pound with suspected ringworm.

Took her straight to the vet who did the blue light thing but couldn't confirm it was actually ringworm. He is growing a culture though and I should hear in a few days if it is that or something else.

I have been given a bottle of Dermotic ear and skin suspension to rub on evry 12 hours.

Interestingly, the vet said that ringworm in dogs is not as contagious as in cats and that the edge of the site is where the spores are active and contagious.

He said nothing about bleaching clothes etc though I am to handle the pup as little as possible and apply the cream wearing rubber gloves. Also to keep washing my hands in disinfectants.

Would be interested in hearing your opinions on this.

Of course the pup is naturally being kept quarantined in case of parvo anyway regardless of the ringworm or other skin infection.

It all depends on the particular fungi type and the severity of the disease. There are several fungal organisms that cause ringworm, Microsporum canis, Trichphyton mentagraphites, Trichophyton rubrum. All should be seen under a Wood's lamp and can be seen on direct microscopy - if they are present. That also depends on the depth of the infection. Some are superficial and some are quite deep which requires a deeper skin scraping and not just an impression slide. In all cases, if there are fungi present, the lab should be able to presumptively identify it as "fungal element seen resembling a dermatophyte". Dermatophytes infect the skin. That id takes about 24 hours -ish. Growing it is another story, relying on the fact that it is still alive and they are very slow growing so you won't get results on the final identification for at least 2 weeks.

Most topical treatments will work, however some infections can be so severe that oral anti-fungals are required.

In humans it can affect the body, scalp and groin areas.

You can bleach everything if you like but it's generally not necessary as washing will do the job. If you have a dog that is infected and is a bedwarmer like mine, then get them off the bed and wash the bedclothes daily whilst the infection persists if the dog continues to frequent your bed.

Most topical ingredients with Miconazole or Clomtrimazole are somewhat effective however the more severe or persistent infections require Ketokonazole or even oral treatments.

Wash the dog in Malaseb or if it is sensitive then try Nizoral anti-fungal shampoo.

Let everyone know how you go in the next 4 weeks or so.